Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #91
Lucy_Dawg

CX, so how would you build one for yourself? Where all would you caulk?
Unread 10-14-2019, 08:43 PM   #92
cx
Da Home Builder

Are you familiar with the Fifth Ammendment to the United States Constitution, Paul?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2019, 09:37 PM   #93
smifwal

Silicone your corners, use a profiling tool (I use these with great results https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cramer-F...AaAnCAEALw_wcB) or blue tape to get a consistent line and you should be able to hide that pesky inconsistency in your corner and silicone the change of planes
Unread 10-15-2019, 06:19 AM   #94
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I siliconed all my wall to wall and wall to floor junctions, and where my corner benches abut the tile walls, Paul, and used the tape method to get clean straight lines with minimal clean up.

I have a niche placed low in a 40" high by 27" long wall. Technically a lot of plane changes but I grouted the whole thing.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #95
Lucy_Dawg

Trying to cut some calacatta marble chair rail in mitered 45° cuts. This is going over like a fart in church. I get half way through cut, and it just crumbles. any advice?
Unread 10-22-2019, 01:12 PM   #96
Lucy_Dawg

How would you prep this outside corner, where the shower tile meets the sheetrock? If I lay a flat peice of wood on the sheetrock, you can see the small gap between the CBU and sheetrock, where corner should be. Should I just use a sheetorck metal corner? I thought I recall that you cant use certain metals near the thinset as the alkaline in the crete will mess up the metal? Any help is greatly aspprecated. Thanks in advance, to everyone!
Attached Images

Unread 10-22-2019, 08:06 PM   #97
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd tape and thinset that corner square and run a row of tile up the outside wall. Looks like you already plan to run tile on the outside under the pony wall.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #98
Lucy_Dawg

I planned to when I started the shower. Unfortunately, I cannot find any bullnose to match the tile. It is calacatta gold or Pietra, and the only companies I can find that make that tile in bullnose, the color of the bullnose is few shades of white off from the tile. The better half said no way, it clashes to much. I found some Calacatta marble, that matches closes enough, in Chair rail. However, I can only get it to cut straight without chipping. If I try to cut at 45º, the marble just crumbles. (I think it is cheap marble). I tried different blades, also. If you have any advice on cutting that marble, then please let me know.

So I was going to either use some schluter edging like Rondec, quadtec, etc Or do the Marble chair rail straight up the sides, but cannot make that 45º turn at the pony wall. I am laying 3cm Granite across the two tops of pony wall, and across threshold, so I could tie the straight cut marble chair rail into it. On the side with the funny corner, I could make granite pony wall top, run past corner and curve into wall, then run the chair rail straight off of that, similar to the way you trim a window/window seal.

Basically, have the granite cut like a stool, and have chair rail placed on that outside wall like the casing in image below. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Unread 10-23-2019, 04:40 PM   #99
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
With the tops of the pony wall(s) capped with granite, and then the CR set just below that, you're still going to need to cut some tricky returns for the CR. The stool and apron in that photo both have returns.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase