Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
weatheredwood

How to close gap between threshold and tile.

There is a 3/4 inch gap between the metal threshold and tile. What is the best way to conceal this? I could cut 1/2 inch slivers and install them. Since the grout lines are 1/8," it would leave a 1/8in gap between the tile and threshold for expansion and contraction. I would caulk that seam. I've had other suggestions of putting down 2 layers of caulk. Would a Mapei sanded caulk work?
Attached Images

Last edited by weatheredwood; 10-16-2019 at 08:26 AM. Reason: add pictures
weatheredwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Malcolm.

I'm guessing we're talking about floor tile at a doorway?

A 3/4" gap is too large to simply fill with most flexible sealants effectively and a 1/2" strip of ceramic tile is not likely to look very good in what I think is your application.

Is this a new installation or is the floor tile already installed?

A photo would likely help. Use the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box to attach photos from storage on your computer.

[Edit]

Now that I see your added photos, some of the above is answered, of course. That appears to be an aluminum threshold of the type that is extendable. While you couldn't actually add an extension now that your tile is in place, you may be able to cut the threshold extension down and install a strip with an appropriate adhesive of some sort and have it look OK. Or do something similar.

Best option, of course, would be to fit your tile installation to the situation, but that ship has sailed, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 10-16-2019 at 08:37 AM.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
weatheredwood

I'm doing a complete bathroom remodel. I should have installed the door first (lesson learned). I contacted Mapei and the rep said that Mapesil is a 100 percent silicone that can fill 1in gaps. I'm not sure how that will look. I posted on another forum and someone suggested using an aluminum C channel to fill it. What are your thoughts on the silicone? I'm not sure if it will attract dirt or be difficult to clean. It might also look bad.
Unread 10-16-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
workhurts

My vote is for a piece of matching aluminum. What’s at the edges of the threshold? Would a channel terminate well?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase