Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
OhioSmitty

Is epoxy grout a good idea?

I'm getting ready to tile over my "Tile Redi" shower pan with this cobblestone mosaic tile. I'm going to use the "redi poxy" adhesive provided with the shower pan. I was thinking about using an epoxy grout to really ensure those stone don't move. Is this a good idea? I've never worked with epoxy grout (but have been watching various how-to videos on YouTube). Is there anything I should be concerned about?

I was thinking about Spectralock. Good idea? Or should I consider a different product?

SIDE QUESTION: I really hate when the lines are noticeable between the between the sheets of mosaic tile. Any helpful hints in camouflaging the gaps between sheets?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Jay
Attached Images

Unread 10-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

A light colored grout will do much to hide the lines. Any big contrasting color will tend to accentuate them. Epoxy is pretty much the "gold standard" of grout, although you need to follow the directions carefully. Mix with COLD water and do small areas at a time.....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I would say that epoxy is a great idea but it's not the simplest thing to install and it can have big consequences if not done correctly.

However, since you have a pebble floor you'll be using a good amount of epoxy and you certainly should be able to stay on top of the mixing and washing times.

The downside of that is you'll use a lot of epoxy which isn't cheap. And I really don't know of a formula to calculate how much you'll need.

If you use Spectralock, I would make a mock up with pebbles and use a mini unit, spread it, wash it, and see what you think. It'll give you an idea of what you are in for.

To make the sheet lines of the pebbles disappear the way to install it is to pull the pebbles off of the sheets and install them individually. No, I'm not kidding.
Unread 10-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #4
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Epoxy is the top tier grout choice, but I would make sure those stones are sealed real well. Epoxy grout can have a tendency to discolor light-colored marble. Sealing the pebbles will help in removing the haze too, come clean-up time.

As far as masking those sheet lines, I used to sell a mosaic identical to that, and the only way to get rid of them 100% was to pull the pebbles off the sheet and hand place the whole floor. It's tedious, but if you get a decent mortar with a long open time and pot life, you'll be fine.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2019, 03:24 PM   #5
makethatkerdistick

Not sure what Lazarus has been drinking. Certainly not cold water.

Don't mix epoxy grout with water!
Unread 10-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #6
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

My Bad. I didn't mean to say "mix in cold water." I meant to say submerge the mixture in cold water. Put ice in a bucket and put the "mix" in a smaller "mix" bucket, surrounded by water and ice,, Essentially, just "keep it cold." Sorry for the confusion...

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2019, 06:27 AM   #7
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
The ice trick flat out works with epoxy grout, just wish I had remembered it before my very last batch!
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
OhioSmitty

Thanks for all of the great advice. Very helpful, guys!

(I knew what you meant, Lazarus. Thanks. I'm going to try putting it on ice.)

Jay
Unread 10-15-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
revelation

I recently used quartz lock urethane on mosaic shower floor. Rinse as best you can with damp water sponge but not gunna remove all residue. After a day or so go back over the surface with a cloth dampened with pure denature alcohol, being careful not to dwell on the grout lines. urethane desolves in pure alcohol. Thats my two cents worth.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase