Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-01-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
guoxiaotian

USG Durock shower system ebook

Hi,
I was looking for tutorials on USG shower system installation and found this page:

https://www.johnbridge.com/articles/...stem-from-usg/

it's back in 2016 and I am not able to find the book in the online store. Was the effort abandoned? or the content is in one of the ebooks? I couldn't find any ebooks newer than 2016 though.

One of the things I am particularly interested is the drain assembly installation. I found it very stressful for a beginner to set the assembly in right amount of thinset so it's flush with the pan all within the ABS glue cure timeframe < 5 seconds, and not doing this right would undo days of work to fix...

Thank you!

cc: @johnbridge
Unread 10-01-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
Kman

Here's the PDF installation instructions, for what it's worth.

Here's USG's video of the installation.

Sorry, no personal experience with that drain. I have strayed off the manufacturer's recommendations with the membrane and use the Schluter Kerdi drain with Durock's shower membrane. I can't say for sure that it's easier, but since I had already a bit of experience with the Kerdi drain, it's easier for me.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #3
Mdsims

I liked the drain, but have heard similar comments to yours from others. I did not notice the stress mentioned, but I'm on a crawlspace and made up my final connection from below a few days after setting the drain. On the thinset question, I loaded it up as shown in the videos on YouTube. If you cut your hole in the subfloor correctly to the template they give you, excess thinset should squeeze out of the bottom and top sides by the foam pan, and it should snug up well. Again, I'm on a crawlspace but this method should work on anything but a slab. The drain is strong, good quality, drains fast and I really liked how supported it is if installed per the manufacturers instructions. It's rock solid.
Unread 10-02-2019, 06:05 AM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
My experience with the Durock drain was much like Matt's, 'cept I didn't have the luxury of being able to make the final pipe glue up after the drain was set.

Yeah, I too found that setting the drain was a little nerve racking, since you get exactly one shot. Just be sure to test fit everything first, and have all your tools and materials at the ready and within reach.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2019, 08:19 AM   #5
smifwal

I use USG shower systems and depends on the situation, on how I do the drain. If I have no access from below or if it is a crawl space( I don't want to get under a house where all the spiders hang out unless I have to). I will figure my drain height, then make a little form around the square cut out. I normally use pieces of foam backer board but you could use 1x or cardboard or whatever, all you are trying to do is keep the mud from falling in the square hole. Then i do the pan, the place the drain body where it goes and make a outline of the drain body, then I will carve out a recess so that the drain body is just a smidge below the mud allowing for the thinset. If you wanted to do the drain immediately following that, you pull out your form whip up some thinset and glue your riser pipe to the drain, lather up the bottom of the drain with thinset and then put glue on the trap and the riser attached to the drain and push it in. I normally wait until the next day just because I have to mix thinset to cover the pan with the membrane and do the banding so it saves me from mixing and cleaning. I tried uploading a few pictures but something went wrong, I will try again later this afternoon
Unread 10-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
As of December USG will no longer make or distribute the Durock shower system, hence, I suspended publication of the book. No help, I know.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #7
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

I looked around online and couldn’t find any info on what items will be discontinued in December or if as John indicates, that’s it for the entire line.

Appreciate any article or other information on the subject.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #8
cx
Da Home Builder

I haven't spoken to the guys who developed that product line for some months, PC, but when last I did they indicated that the products would still be available under another brand name. At the time they didn't know who would be the new manufacturer and I don't know if that decision has been made to date. John may have had contact with them since then.

They've got a whole lot of themselves invested in the product line and I don't expect it to disappear. At least that's my hope, even though I try to avoid any such products that involve commitment and work these days.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #9
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Thx for the info CX. I’ll keep an eye out myself.

We’ve been excavating for the new additions this week so I’ve got a bit of time before I have to worry about the new showers.

I’d upload a picture of the big dig but alas, the iPhone saves all picture at > 6mb with no option to reduce size!!
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #10
cx
Da Home Builder

I shall ping knowledgeable parties to see if I can get any updated information on the future of the products.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #11
smifwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC
I looked around online and couldn’t find any info on what items will be discontinued in December
My rep told me that all things foam and all things membrane will no longer be offered by USG. As for who is going to start manufacturing the same stuff under a new name is anyone's guess
Unread 10-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #12
Kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by smifwal View Post
My rep told me that all things foam and all things membrane will no longer be offered by USG. As for who is going to start manufacturing the same stuff under a new name is anyone's guess
I'll be interested to find out. Other than using part of a wide roll of Kerdi on a single shower, I haven't used anything but the Durock membrane for years.

I did like the wide roll for most projects, but my supplier would sell only full rolls, which are about $1200, and I don't want to tie up that much on it.

Hopefully whomever takes over the Durock membrane will put something out soon.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2019, 06:08 AM   #13
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I did see that USG ran another advert for their linear drain and shower system in the latest issue of Fine Homebuilding.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase