Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #31
thuffner3

You can always put a layer of Kirdy band or Kirdy in the area.
Attached Images

Her contractor said she could have it installed today.
thuffner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2019, 07:09 PM   #32
thuffner3

Use a strip of Kirdy to fill the void or use the skreed in the picture

Her contractor said she could have it installed today.
thuffner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2019, 07:16 PM   #33
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, what Neil said, that will work too. I've even used Ditra but that might be a little too thick for what you need.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2019, 10:29 AM   #34
Kiva

Send a message via AIM to Kiva
I was able to get a pro to meet with us tomorrow AM.

The whole thing is weird because I didn't do the shower / set the field tiles and we have this agreement with the GC who doesn't want to be involved with the deco/mosaics. So, i'd be screeding, etc in somebody else's project and would be super worried about screwing it up (e.g. screed to the wrong depth).

the method described above totally makes sense. If I end up doing it, I'll probably do a test board to practice first. I'll also end up posting back some more detailed questions re: prep and where to end the run, etc.

Thank you again...
Unread 10-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #35
Kiva

Paper faced glass mosaic installation - some questions

Hi Folks

So, the pro came and looked at it and said he would build it off-site even and use Kerdi. He then texted the next day and said he was too busy. We were going to have him do the kitchen too...oh well. So, it's back on me...

I think the kerdi method sounds the easiest (?). Some questions

(1) how do I mask off the adjacent tiles so I don't get a bunch of thinset in those joints? This especially applies if I end up used the screed method

(2) Do I also use Kerdi in the back of the niche or just set them?

(3) have folks done jobs where the deco is a different grout? We like the look of the lighter grout in the deco tile better, but not sure if we should then stay with grey for the rest.

(4) Corners....do I just tuck one run into a corner and then butt up the perpendicular run?

(5) In pic above, where does the run end in relation to the niche? parallel with the field tile, i presume.

(6) I'm going to read some kerdi threads now, but I assume that stuff just gets set in thinset....

(7) I assume I’ll need some glass nippers.

(8) sounds like order of placement in niche is sloped sill, then deco in the back.

Thank you!

Last edited by Kiva; 10-05-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Kiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #36
Kiva

Uh, help ...

I was all set to do this I got a referral to somebody who was able to squeeze it in between another job. I met him and we talked about the method and I left them to it. I get back and, oh no. It doesn’t appear he knew what he was doing. Crud. Need help on what to do.

So, throughout, he didn’t knock the ridges down. The quarter round / sides look wonky to me (though i don’t have much of a reference). The deco strip wasn’t floated to be flush - it’s like he forgot or something. The bottom of the niche isn’t pitched, but the top shelf is. Ugh.

Ideas. Options as I see it...

(1) just grout it so we can get this damn project done then pay a better pro to fix it all later.

(2) take out all the quarter round and the sides of bottom shelf. Pop off bottom row or 2 of mosaics. Pop off bottom of bottom shelf. Pitch properly. Cut a mosaic strip and install. Then leave the rest to my GC.

(3) redo strip to be flush. Leave the niche.

A lot depends on how bad you guys say this situation is. I apologies for the cluster##€#. I should have just done it myself.

In the positive side, i did get all the exterior painting done since I thought I didn’t have to do tile...
Unread 10-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #37
Kiva

Pic of deco strip

Unread 10-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #38
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Matt, you'll have to make that call. He didn't take any extra time with anything. He installed it the fastest way possible. You might should have gone over it with him so he knew what you were expecting.

But, I don't understand why you're meeting with tile setters if you have a GC. I would tell my GC to find a tileman that knows what he's doing.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 10-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #39
Kiva

Paper faced glass mosaic installation - some questions

The GC thing is a complicated one. I can post about that next.

Fur now, if I wanted to take it out, what Is the best method? Will it damage the foam niche creating yet another problem?

Last edited by Kiva; 10-13-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Unread 10-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #40
Kiva

This whole thing is a mess

We had a tile sub but project delay missed our start date so tile company had to cancel. GC is competent tile setter, but didn't want to do the mosaics. He said "If I do the mosaics, it's going to look terrible (see his samples early in this thread). I knew he was doing it wrong, but he was not seeing it.

We had already purchased the mosaics. He wanted us to buy something else. There was a standoff. I basically said, "fine, I'll figure it out".

I guess I was being stubborn and I should have just let him have his way and picked something else. I should have also had enough confidence to just do the mosaics myself with the information you gave, but I hesitate when I haven't done something before and I was not feeling confident about doing the top and bottom of the niche. If I had to do it over, I would have just done the strip, had him come and see how it turned out fine, and then have him finish everything.

What a mess.
Unread 10-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #41
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've never tiled over foam but I think removing the tiles will damage it. Lets let others chime in on that.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 10-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #42
Kiva

while waiting for that info...

I'm at the minimum removing the strips and re-doing since I have to be able to do better than he did.

once chipped out the strip, best way to remove the dried glass tile thinset from the mortar bed?

I can't believe I got myself into this situation. I let the fact the GC is known to me get in the way. I should have just said, "install the tile properly or find somebody who can." Now I'm hosed.

I'm so anxious about the whole thing I can't sleep. This sucks.

Last edited by Kiva; 10-13-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Unread 10-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #43
Kiva

Wife's solution: Stop everything. Get a known good tile setter (we met with 2 that were trained by the main place in town that everybody uses to sub but they couldn't do anything until January) and pay them to fix everything. Settle up with the GC. Pay the other person to do everything else. Who cares if we wait.

That way the only stress on me is that I don't have a finished bathroom. The stress of having to correct this error is seriously too much for me.

Last edited by Kiva; 10-13-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Unread 10-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #44
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Sounds like that might be the best thing to do, Matt. Most installers that do good work are booked up but don't think that all booked up installers are good. A lot of the hacks are busy too.

Until then, check your tile count and get more if you need to. On the Q-round, I would place a full tile in the middle and cut the mitered pieces in to fit. Do away with that small piece in the middle. It will take more tiles doing it this way but it'll look better.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 10-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #45
Kiva

ya, I think you're right. since it was just put in, I may decide to just remove it since it'll be easier now before it fully cures. Not sure on that though.

If I do, what is the best method for removing the dried but not cured thinset from the mud bed? Just chisel it? dremel? Other scraping tool?

Thank you again.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase