Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 08-04-2019, 05:31 PM   #31
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I don't know how long pex has been around but seems like it's been 12-15 years ago when my old plumber used pex on two tubsurrounds that I had tiled. He had installed new valves in both tub surrounds. He talked about pex being a new product that he hadn't used very much. The homeowner complained to him about the water flow on those two tubs and I had to go back over there and bust out a groove from the valve to the shower head on both of them so he could replace the pex with copper. Of course the homeowner was pissed.

Like I mentioned before, the plumber I use now days says pex isn't recommended but maybe that's on certain valves, I don't know.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2019, 09:32 PM   #32
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Davy. There is truth to what you heard. I think the main concern is using pex on a tub spout on a tub/ shower setup. I have read not to do do in the instructions of a moen valve body. The reason being is that the possible restricted flow caused by the pex down to the tub spout can cause the water to back flow out the shower spout. That's how most are designed to do anyways. You know how you pull up the stopper on a tub spout and that diverts the water to the head. The manufacturers want copper down to the tub and either copper or pex to the head. I used copper to the tub spout in the bathroom that this thread was originally started for.

I wouldn't worry about using pex to a single shower head shower like in my recent picture. I use uponor pex and fittings and these allow for better flow. But I am in California where the legal flow rate is something like 0.2 gallons per hour so I have no worries of flow restriction, the state takes care of that for me.

Here is a tip and I am sure most of you know this. Install your valve upside down If you are installing a tub/shower valve is a shower only configuration. The tub side flow rate is much higher than your shower side. Especially if you are trying to do something with multi heads. I know moen valves greatly restrict flow to the shower.

Justin. Lol on the screws. Good catch on the screws. I am trying to make the switch to torx. These torx construction screws are better and not as brittle. These are what I used in the original post where the ear came loose. As for the 2 mismatched drywall screws. I had hung the lid earlier and this is what was on the ground and happen to match the bit I had in the drill. I don't know where that silver one came from but it got used. As got needing to switch between bits. Luckily the cordless took company that I use came out with an updated brushless drill that i had to have. So one's got the Phillips and the other has the torx. Surprisingly I still find myself switching bits.

It's just a clever handle.

Last edited by Shady at Best; 08-04-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2019, 05:21 AM   #33
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Thanks, makes sense.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #34
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The reduced outlet for a shower is sufficient for one typical (legal) showerhead, but it would be useful to rotate the valve and use the larger tub spout outlet if using multiple heads. But, note that most 1/2" valves top out at around 5.5-6.5gpm, so more than two heads with a 1/2" valve will tend to start to show limitations, even with the larger outlet. FWIW, federal regulations call for NGT 2.5gpm at 60psi, if I remember correctly, so the smaller outlet is more than enough for one head.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2019, 10:11 PM   #35
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

This might clear up the pex to the shower head question. Looks like delta sells pex a rough ins with a pex attachment for the shower side.
Attached Images

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2019, 08:27 PM   #36
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Last december we installed that very same shower valve with pex. We had problems with the shower head always dripping when the water was flowing out the tub spout. Seems my choice of fittings increased the backpressure making the shower head drip all the time. Once I replaced the fittings the shower drip went away.

Luckily I installed an access panel and shut off valves.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2019, 09:29 PM   #37
smifwal

This is how they do'em round these parts with a 1/2 a tube of silicone to hold the shower head in place. So I didn't get a picture of the silicone, I was in a bit of a hurry. It was a bundle. Travis I thought of you when I tore this one out and I shook my head and chuckled
Attached Images

Unread 09-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #38
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul
We had problems with the shower head always dripping when the water was flowing out the tub spout.
I've heard this can also be a problem if the shower head isn't high enough above the tub spout. I like to drop the outlets down when installing an adjustable handheld but can't do it with the tub spouts that have the pull lever on the spout.
Unread 09-02-2019, 07:11 PM   #39
Kman

I took one apart that was secured to a 2x with duct tape.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2019, 08:35 PM   #40
Kman

We've been doing it all wrong. Apparently it takes about a nickel's worth of hardware to secure these things.

Name:  IMG_20191012_211834-600x800.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  65.5 KB

Unread 10-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #41
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Wait, those are drywall screws...not pipe screws!

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #42
Kman

The pipe screws are ten cents. Ya gotta draw the line somewhere.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase