Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-20-2019, 07:47 AM   #1
Jake717

How does Flexcolor CQ hold up?

Hi guys, for those of you who have used Mapei Flexcolor CQ in the shower, bathroom and or kitchen how is it holding up? Any color change or any other issues from being in contact with water? Did you use any grout sealer?

If you used grout sealer, what did you use?
Unread 09-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=126569

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...ight=flexcolor

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Works great. You'll like it.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
smifwal

I use it on every job it is my go to
Unread 09-20-2019, 10:06 PM   #5
Jake717

you guys don't use a sealer with this grout?
Unread 09-20-2019, 10:32 PM   #6
smifwal

Nope. it is built in and doesn't need it. Never had a problem. shower, backsplash,floor, wall no where. I will say polished tiles it is a pain in the... To clean off the haze but the good out weigh the bad
Unread 09-21-2019, 08:00 AM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, tell the pros and cons. I've used it maybe 10 times, mainly because the homeowner already had it bought and on the job. A lot seems to depend on the tile you have installed. I agree with Shawn, the polished shiny tiles seem to have more haze problems than others. It's not saving me time if I have to make a trip to Home Depot to get cleaner and then spend 30-45 minutes scrubbing haze the next day.

The grout won't firm up in the joint so you end up having to wash very carefully to keep from washing the joints too low.

The color is consistent and you can easily patch a spot because it will stick to itself.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
smifwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy
The grout won't firm up in the joint so you end up having to wash very carefully to keep from washing the joints too low.
Very true and very frustrating. A brand new sponge helps though. I use the sponge that Ardex makes, they are more expensive than the ones from Homer barley, and they last way longer especially if you use green scratch pad to clean your buckets and then just use the sponge to get the film of the thinset.
Unread 09-21-2019, 11:30 AM   #9
makethatkerdistick

Caveat: I've never used any of the premixed acrylic grouts. And I am just an amateur, not doing this for a living like a lot of the pros here.

In a wet environment, in particular a shower floor, a grout will be taxed like nowhere else in your house. My thinking has always been that in such a situation I'd much prefer a grout that chemically cures in place after having been mixed and thus activated. Two grouts come to mind: tried and true cement based and true epoxy (Part A + B) grouts.

I am super skeptical of products that just dry in place such as these premixed grouts. Maybe the Mapei Flexcolor has a better track record than the competing Fusion Pro grout. A good comparison might actually be paints: Compare true marine-grade paints (often epoxy-based with part A and B that you have to mix together) to traditional solvent based ones (that just dry after application). The marine-grade ones will always last much longer.

Random feedback of grout still being great after three or four years of service means little to me. When grout holds up well for ten+ years in a taxing environment, then I am listening!

Price-wise, you'll often find that the pre-mixed grouts aren't particularly cheap. The price jump to epoxy isn't as bad, especially if you buy more volume.
Unread 10-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #10
riccobo4

I used flexcolor on my first ever tile project a year ago. I did the bathroom floor and entire shower. I also accidentally wiped too much out of the mosaic floor and a month later I added a thin second layer to fill it up. This made me nervous but mapei said it was fine.

One year later and it is holding up great.

I used it in my second bath and I plan to use it in the kitchen.
Unread 10-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #11
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

CQ is, in my opinion, somewhat better than the Fusion Pro, although they are very similar. Free sponge with CQ that works well and, as has been said, on shiny tiles, it is imperative that you get it cleaned up pronto!

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase