Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 08-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
Helen Harris

Rusty drip stains in new installed shower

Can anyone identify what this might be? I thought it was pink mold and I cleaned with baking soda and Dawn. But it is already coming back just a week later. This ceramic tile was installed about 8 months ago during a full remodel of the bathroom. This is the vertical tile between the shower floor and the shower curb on the inside of the shower, and the stain is also on the outside of the shower that doesn’t seem to get wet. The top of the curb is quartzite and the shower floor is a marble pebble tile, so I can’t use harsh cleaners. Any ideas on what it is and how to get rid of it? Thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 08-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Helen Harris

Trouble with pebble tile & grout

We had our bathroom shower remodeled. The shower floor is Akua marmara marble pebble tile with poly Blend Home Depot grout. Almost immediately the grout developed a white-ish haze all over and now it has these big chunks of white stuff. I’ve tried everything to remove it but have avoided harsh chemicals because of the marble. We live in Florida and have very hard water. For an 8 month old shower it looks terrible. Any suggestion on what this might be, the cause and how to remove it? The grout was sealed, but after the trouble started, the installer removed the white stuff with a Drexel and resealed with a colored grout sealant. But the white stuff is back. Is is efflorescence? Installer says no, they think it’s soap scum and that this material is not for daily shower use.
Attached Images

Unread 08-23-2019, 10:08 PM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Helen.

I've combined your first three threads on your shower cleaning problems here for continuity. The third one appears to be a duplicate of the second thread, but without the photos. If that's the case, we can eliminate that one. A moderator can give the thread a more generic title any time you'd care to suggest one.

I think a photo or two from a bit farther away to show some perspective might be helpful.

For sure it will be helpful to know specifically what the wall tile is and how the shower was constructed. How was the receptor, or pan, constructed and waterproofed and what waterproofing method was used on the walls of the shower. The more information you can give, the better our knowledgeable members might be able to help with your questions.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2019, 06:53 AM   #4
fhueston

It looks like iron. I would first check your water to make sure it does not contain iron. If it does, you will need to get a water softener. Next it may be something underneath the stone that is rusting. If that's the case than it will have to be replaced
Unread 08-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
Helen Harris

Rusty stains and pebble tile mess

Thank you for fixing my duplicate posts.Regretfully I did not take construction progress pictures. Here’s the shower for a little farther away, but not much help to see what’s underneath.
Attached Images

Last edited by Helen Harris; 08-24-2019 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Added photos
Helen Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
It looks like iron oxide to me, too, Helen. Try what Fred said.

You should use only neutral cleaners in that shower. Unfortunately, neutral cleaners won't remove that spot.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase