Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-16-2007, 07:50 AM   #1
TJ

Insulation value comparison - Cork, Wedi, Nobleseal CIS

I've found the following numbers. I know we have some manufacturer's reps here. Can these be confirmed?

WE Cork, recommended by Suntouch - R2.6 for .25"

Wedi - R4.3 per inch, or R1.08 for .25"

Nobleseal CIS - R0.8 for .03"

Thanks
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-16-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
TJ

still hoping for confirmation or correction...
Unread 01-16-2007, 11:37 PM   #3
dgbldr

Can't confirm any of them, but I can tell you there ain't no such thing as cork with R over 10 per inch. More like 3.3 per inch.

DG
dgbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2007, 11:54 PM   #4
TJ

Thanks, I'm really trying to make sense of these numbers. Did I misunderstand the following?

"Our Cork underlayment is 1/4" thick x 48" wide and is manufactured by WE Cork. With an R-Value of 2.6 the cork acts as a "thermal Break" and slows the heat transfer into a concrete slab sub floor when placed on top of the slab. The heating elements are then installed on TOP of the cork, and secured with tape or glue."
Unread 01-17-2007, 02:43 AM   #5
tsimshianman

Why do you need confirmation if the information is there? You obviously got these figures somewhere presumeably the web sites or brochures.

I'm not sure what "dgbldr" is commenting about as you did not state anything about cork being over R 10.

You may also like to know that multi-ceramic coatings have been introduced recently in this area showing very good results. Apparently a company called HVAC Alternatives Inc. used 3/4" Dow polystyrene in all rooms but one which was insulated with the multi-ceramic coating over plywood. The multi-ceramic coating proved to twice as effective in resisting heat. The flow had to be turned down in this room. One of the best features of this product is that it is so thin. It is no thicker than a business card. It would stand to reason that a thicker coat would produce better results.

There is a catch though. You can only but this product through a distributor. Just Google Supertherm or Super Therm

One more point. After checking further the stated R value in this type of application is 9.

Last edited by tsimshianman; 01-17-2007 at 02:53 AM.
tsimshianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 05:03 AM   #6
TJ

I wasn't sure if I was interpreting the numbers I found correctly, or perhaps the R value is given in terms of 1 inch of the material.

The earlier poster was commenting that if I had interpreted correctly for 1/4 inch of cork, then the value for an inch would be around 10.
Unread 01-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
TJ

I googled Super Therm, and it looks almost too good to be true. Does anyone have experience with it?
Unread 01-18-2007, 07:32 AM   #8
TJ

Initial contact with a distributor of Super Therm has suggested that this is not the appropriate product for use over concrete slab. I'll continue posting as I find out more.
Unread 12-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
rerod

Iv spent some time searching on this subject and seems the consensus is that insulation properties Iv seen posted here by members shows that it's really difficult and costly to do much good at all.

Or have I missed something or a new product? My floors get so cold downstairs it hurts to walk bare foot.
Unread 12-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
TJ

Tj

I tried one of the liquid products in one basement room. I used a gauge to get the required thickness. It took forever to dry and left a chemical odor. It also did not cover as much area as it said and I had to buy twice as much.

I wouldn't do it again.
Unread 12-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

Have a chat with Warmly Yours one of our partners even if they can't help you. click on their ad----------------------->

PS You're not trying to heat your house with this are you?

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 10:13 PM   #12
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Check out www.insuladd.com. It's designed as a paint addative, but might be able to be mixed into something like Redgard. It's micro-spheres of hollow ceramic - same stuff as used on the space shuttle. I've used in mixed in paint in my house, and it works well. It does add texture to the paint. THey require two coats to provide the necessary thickness. Might be worth a call to their tech support to see what they think. Let us know.

There are other manufacturers that sell this already in their paint, but this was the only company that sold it 'raw' so you could mix it into any paint you desired. It gets cheaper as you buy more. When used in a house, it adds some depth to the wall, and some texture which tends to hide minor imperfections.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #13
rerod

Could not open that link. But I did find a interesting opinion on it.

http://www.epinions.com/content_2452594820
Unread 12-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #14
Jhereg
Signature Tile - Owner

Jhereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2008, 08:56 PM   #15
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Jim, have those utilities gone down?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase