Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
andy911

Ditra Heat questions

Hello, I am using Ditra Heat for my small bathroom. I had a couple of questions about mortaring:

1) I remembered from hanging Kerdi in my other shower that the fleece likes a wetter mortar mixture. For the Ditra I used Schluter All Set and mixed 4 parts powder to 3 parts water. I would describe the mix as thick enough to hold a notch, but wet enough to pour and too wet to effectively “scoop” with the trowel. How do you feel about this mixture? I got good coverage on the fleece when I pulled it back.

2) I have a bag of Laticrete Strata Heat thinset additive that is supposed to improve the heat distribution , but it is for a different system. Should I use this with Ditra Heat and All Set? Or skip it?

Thanks!
Unread 03-21-2020, 02:08 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

1. Sorry, didn't evoke any emotional response at all, Andy. Didn't feel a thing.

2. If your thinset mortar manufacturer recommends it, you could possibly benefit from using it. If not, your guess is as good as mine. If you wanna use that additive, I'd use it in one of the mortars the manufacturer recommends.

But when I read the manufacturer's Technical Data Sheet where it says:

"Advantages Increases thermal heat transfusion by 20%"

I just gotta wonder.

Would it not apply to heat that's not thermal? If there were such a thing, of course.

I'm familiar with heat radiation, and heat convection, and heat conduction, but I can't say I've ever heard of a heat transfusion.

I'm a bit concerned about the good folks in Laticrete's advertising department.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 03-21-2020 at 02:30 PM.
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #3
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
1) Your mortar mix sounds about right, Andy, and is about how I mixed mine to stick Ditra Heat Duo to my Hardie Backer covered subfloor.

2) I'd have to call Laticrete on that, but I don't suppose their gonna say "sure, go ahead, use our product with someone elses!". Regardless, if that bag of power has been sitting around for a while best to get some fresh stuff.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
andy911

Thanks for the feedback! I think I’ll skip the heat additive, its probably unnecessary anyways.

If I were to fill the Ditra waffles and heating element first before tiling (this is often recommended as a way to protect the heating wire and prevent it from being pulled up when seating/ reseating tiles), would it make sense to use a similar wet mix?
Unread 03-21-2020, 04:05 PM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
No. The wetter the mix the more it will shrink, and it's going to shrink anyway.

If anything I'd mix it a bit stiffer.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2020, 07:39 AM   #6
andy911

Okay will do. Thanks again!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase