Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
knitbunnie

Vinyl Plank Flooring

We're embarking on a do-it-yourself on a new-to-us 1980s house that's pretty much an '80s time capsule, complete with carpeted bathrooms - 3 1/2 of them. 2 1/2 are on concrete slab, and a large one is on the second floor. I'm hesitant to use ceramic tile on the second floor because of the weight, not to mention the apparent ease and speed of installation of vinyl plank.

We're closing in 2 weeks, and I want to be ready to jump in and get rid of that carpet. I've looked at QuietWalk Plus underlayment and am wondering if this, and a decent quality vinyl plank flooring would work. If anyone has any recommendations on a vinyl plank for bathrooms, that would be great. We're obviously on a budget or we wouldn't be doing this ourselves, but we don't want to cheap out on materials.

Any and all advice is appreciated, even from naysayers!

Thank you.

Last edited by knitbunnie; 03-09-2020 at 05:18 PM.
knitbunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Bonnie.

Best to have your own project thread to avoid confusion on both threads.

You understand that we are primarily a ceramic tile installation site, yes? I'm sure we've got some folks who have installed what you're looking at in general, if not the specific brand, but I'm not one of them.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
knitbunnie

Thanks! After reading a few other posts about it, I thought I'd toss it out there. If I get a few answers, it'll make me happy. I'm very hesitant to take the advice of the people at a big box store, especially after one of their "experts" told me I should tile around the toilet rather than taking it up when I was looking at porcelain tile. It seems like vinyl plank would be the safer option in a second floor bathroom, since it's a big bathroom, and I honestly don't know how to measure the load capacity of the floor.
Unread 03-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
D & D Reno

If doing a floating/laminate floor, make sure it is vinyl. Don’t get a “waterproof” wood engineered product. Pergo makes one they claim is waterproof, but still wood based. Leave an expansion gap around perimeter. Think about where it runs along tub. Will have to caulk or put small piece of trim. Go around vanity, unless vanity is on legs. Don’t go under a cabinet style vanity. You can go under toilet.

Life proof is a popular vinyl plank at Home Depot. Have installed thousands and thousands of sq ft of it. Averages $3.19 sq ft. If wanting something better, go to a flooring store. You can get better quality, often times for not much more or same price. Thicker is better. A lot of LVP has the underlayment built in to back of plank.

As far as weight being issue for tile, I highly doubt it is a problem. Just noticed in TCNA guidebook other day average weight of tile installed is 5-7lb per foot. Your vanity probably beats that. But subfloor requirements for tile are stricter than LVP. Always defer to manufacturer instructions.
Unread 03-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #5
knitbunnie

Thanks, Antonio. I will be sure it's vinyl. I'd rather do porcelain tile, but I'm hesitant to tackle it myself, especially on the 2nd floor, but once we have closing on our new-to-us 1980s project house, I'll know a bit more about what's lurking under the carpet in the bathrooms. I took a class on tiling at Floor & Decor, and I have little faith in what I was told because they said I should tile around the toilet. I think not!

This is just part of the long, upstairs bathroom, complete with that "lovely" carpet - there's a separate attached room for the toilet and the tub, also carpeted, so it seems like a lot of weight of tile. Of course, I just don't know.
Attached Images

Unread 03-09-2020, 05:06 PM   #6
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
there's a separate attached room for the toilet and the tub, also carpeted
Ew ew ew ew ew. LOL.

Some friends had no shoes policy in the house, AND a carpeted power room.

I just couldn't.

Don't give up tile yet, not till you remove the carpet to see what you've got. Wear gloves.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #7
knitbunnie

Dan - you made me laugh.
Unread 03-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #8
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #9
D & D Reno

Oh man! My wife would kill for a vanity that long! I’d probably end up the last foot, while her total array of whatever she does in the bathroom was spread out. Maybe it would make the girls in my house get rest faster...
Unread 03-10-2020, 01:24 PM   #10
chasjs

As a DIYer, I have done both Tile and LVP. I would not worry about the weight of tile, but if you are worried have a structural engineer check it out.

We installed LVP in our laundry room (over wood subfloor) and in our basement which was a concrete slab. It looks great in both places and was easy to install - I used Coretec Pro Plus and did a floating installation. My wife loves the look and the maintenance of it.

All that being said, we would not put it in the bathrooms (other than the one in the basement). We have installed tile in our bathrooms. We feel it is a more upscale look in the bath plus we went with heated floors. But it is just a preference thing - no real "one is better", IMO.

Chuck
Unread 03-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #11
rmckee84

Coretec makes some excellent products, I'd start there.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2020, 12:53 AM   #12
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

For what it’s worth, it’s pretty unlikely that the tile is too heavy. If you are at all interested, just say so and we’ll ask you a few questions about the floor joists.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #13
SuziQ12

I just saw your post and don't know if you have started or done your project yet. I had a bathroom on the third floor tiled with a Ditra underlayment. It worked super fantastic with large tiles. No cracking anywhere after over 5 years and only a single plywood underlayment. Also an 80's house. Can't say enough about the Ditra. My whole bedroom on the same floor is also installed the same way. No cracks anywhere. I'm going to be doing my main floor, also single layer plywood, with the Ditra underlayment because it works, it is thinner, lighter in weight, and easier than installing a layer of cementboard. Totally worth the cost!
Unread 04-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #14
knitbunnie

Unhappy Still haven't started

Thought I'd update my non-progress. Thanks COVID-19! We still haven't closed - sellers are in another country and were having difficulty moving forward because embassies are closed. We got word a few days ago that they've done whatever they need to do. We're waiting on the title company to schedule closing. This has been what seems like forever!

I asked on Houzz about people's experience with Mannington Adura Max flooring, and instead of advice, I mostly got criticism for my choice of planking - I like these better than the wood and stone look. I'm awaiting samples, since it looks like we're actually going to finalize this thing.

2 1/2 baths are on a slab - that carpet's probably glued down, so I'm thinking I'll be wearing myself out with a heat gun and a scraper. Second floor - who knows what's underneath, but I'll get that floor smooth, too. Big question, especially for the second floor - do I put some sort of waterproof membrane under the Adura Max? Also, I need something like a vapor barrier over the concrete slab and under the Adura Max?
Attached Images

Unread 05-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #15
D & D Reno

Carpet over concrete is not necessarily glued down. Glue down is usually commercial carpet. I have pad and carpet over concrete in my finished lower level; just tack strip around perimeter.

Read the installation instructions for your flooring.

https://www.mannington.com/Residenti...A690203C8.ashx

I didn’t see where they necessarily state a moisture barrier, but they do reference a moisture test. This is common with many LVPi structures. Some LVP has a built in underlayment, and some of those aren’t supposed to be put over another floating floor underlayment (which many have moisture barrier built in). Call the manufacture if you are unsure.

Now if it were my home, I’d just use common sense regarding moisture content present after demo. You will see signs if excessive. You can also do the unscientific test of taping plastic to concrete and leave it there for minimum 24 hours and see if there is moisture under it. Keep in mind moisture content changes with seasons.

Something to consider, if it’s on a slab, and the slab is in good condition, tiling it would be a breeze.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase