Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 02-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
MarylandMom

Recommendation for grout stain / colorant?

I have scanned this thread for posts about grout stain and colorant. All of the posts on this topic seem to be several years old. Are there any new products? Do you have advice on the best products for sealing and staining discolored grout?

As always, thanks for your advice!
Unread 02-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #2
Stone Dude

I have used many brands over the years. My favorite used to be Grout Perfect, but after they changed the formula, I didn't trust it anymore. It didn't seem to stick as well.

We only use Color Clad now. They use other binding agents and it is pretty durable. It's a little different than the other brands. There are only 8 colors, and a color chart to tell you what to mix to get your desired color. You can check with a distributor to request a color chart, then order the colors and supplies you need to get the job done.

Grouterra makes Color Clad.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Ann

Both Aqua Mix Grout Colorant and Color Clad are excellent choices.

To my knowledge Color Clad requires purchasing a kit of the colors to mix. It doesn't come premixed. Aqua Mix can be purchased in practically any grout color from any grout manufacturer.

How much area do you have to cover, and what type of material is the grout adjoining?

I'm presuming this is a floor in a dry area. If not please state where the grout colorant will be used.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
jcsa
Tile Contractor

Grout Colorant

We use nothing but AquaMix grout colorant. One word of caution make sure it is epoxy based. It will tell you on the label. There are two versions acrylic base and epoxy base. The acrylic is not any near as durable as the epoxy based. We have done numerous jobs with the epoxy based and received zero callbacks dating back 15 years. I have tried grout stain without any success. You can match any manufacturer's grout color. You might have to buy a minimum amount if your local warehouse does not have it in stock.
Good Luck
John Cox

jcsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Can someone 'splain the rest of us how you can have an "epoxy" sealant that is a single component but requires no heat or other catalyst to cure? Water based and essentially non toxic it says on the data sheets. Not even known to cause cancer in California, fer cryin' out loud.

What kinda epoxides are in that bottle and what sets'em off?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
jcsa
Tile Contractor

Taylor

Where is Steve Taylor when you need em?

jcsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Oh, I'm sure he'll find us, John.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #8
Stone Dude

Colorclad offers a starter kit, but you dont have to buy a whole kit. You can purchase individual colors.

I am not as familiar with the aquamix stuff as John is

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2015, 12:11 PM   #9
Steve Taylor

The AquaMix Grout colorant is epoxy modified acrylic. As the water leaves the coating the epoxy molecules will cross link with the acrylic to form a more durable surface. As long as there is sufficient water in the product it is stable. As the water evaporates from the thin film the chemical reaction takes place.

Before you ask, this is not possible with today's technology in thicker applied materials like grout. So it can not be adapted to grout. Perhaps some day.
Unread 02-08-2015, 11:14 PM   #10
MarylandMom

Thanks to all of you for your input. Our Home Depot doesn't seem to have the colored AquaMix. I'll keep looking.
Unread 02-08-2015, 11:18 PM   #11
MarylandMom

Also, to answer doitright, this is a very small area in a rarely used hall bath. Used to be my son's bathroom and, shall we say, his cleaning technique left a bit to be desired over the years. He's moved out now and we just remodeled our master bath. Now, in comparison, the hall bath looks really cruddy. The guy who did the tile in the master bath told me this was the way to go for fixing up the stained grout.
Unread 02-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #12
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Ann

I wouldn't hesitate to use the Aqua Mix Grout Colorant in your case. Find a color that you like from any one of the major grout manufacturer. Go to the link at the bottom of this page for Stone Tooling (one of our wonderful sponsors). You can order whatever you need from them.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #13
PGT

My Buddy has used Grout Perfect for the last 10 years. He swears by them. I have never heard of Color Clad - Is this something that can be applied in the same way as the Grout Perfect sealant?
Unread 02-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #14
MDS

I've been formulating epoxy coatings for 35 years and have never seen a system where the "epoxy cross links with the acrylic as the water evaporates". Epoxy resins react with a curative to form a thermoset resin. Heat drives the reaction and like CX implied, to get a single package product you either need to keep it frozen until use or formulate the reaction to take place at high temperature like an oven. Some structural adhesives use those approaches.

There are hundreds of different acrylic resins available for coatings formulation, all modified in strange and mysterious ways. I have only seen a few where they modify the base acrylic polymer with an epoxy for use in emulsion coatings. The result is nothing that reflects the normal properties of true epoxies, e.g. improved adhesion. And no reaction takes place after the product application.

While there is some merit to epoxy modified alkyd coatings, I see no advantage to epoxy modified acrylics other than marketing. It shows up in DIY products but I have never seen it in commercial coatings from top tier suppliers. The type of coatings specified by architects and reporting results based on industry standards testing. I am always suspicious of some of the claims I see made on color seal. My favorite is a company that claims to be "titanium modified". While legally accurate, at least for lighter colors where they use titanium dioxide as a pigment like everybody else, it is an implication of performance enhancement that is simply unfounded.

Aqua Mix makes a nice grout colorant and in our testing it does indeed stick better than many other color seal products out there. But not better than ColorClad.

I know Steve can't give away trade secrets, but I would love to see any technical documents that confirm you can get epoxy to cross link with acrylic during the drying process of an emulsion coating.

Last edited by MDS; 02-18-2015 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
MDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #15
MDS

Justin,

The application process for ColorClad is the same as Grout Perfect. Pretty much all of the color seals on the market handle in a similar manner, with slightly different dry times. ColorClad is supplied in core colors to produce just the amount and color you need for a project rather than selling set quantities to (hopefully) match a particular grout color. Sold through distributors around the world, but you are closest to Groutera.com. You can find complete information there.
MDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase