Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 11-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #1291
LadyGodiva

Greg, you need to pick up comedy.

From "Isabelle" in Quebec. I had met her at the Vatican this past May, and we promised to keep in touch but her English isn't so good so she does not write very often.

I know she is trying to tell me that this is a beautiful day for us because of our new President. It was sent this morning.

"Few words to tell you that I did not forget about you. I'm writing you a letter."
What a beautiful day...

Have a beautiful day,
AmitiƩs,

Isabelle
LadyGodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #1292
HS345
Tile Contractor

Annnnnd you're telling me this because?
Unread 11-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #1293
tilerite

Quote:
I disagree Rick, Sarah Palin wasn't McCain's downfall. The incessant slandering, and berating of Sarah Palin by the media, was McCain's downfall.
The media is not biased. The media is not biased. The media is not biased.......
tilerite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #1294
sandbagger

Quote:
Sarah Palin was McCain's downfall.
gee, that's a new one - I missed how Palin was on the Democrat team that orchestrated policies and corruption that led to the great mortgage meltdown.

It's simple. McCain was leading and moving up when the bottom fell out. The Dems were at fault. The media (except Fox and occasionally CNBC) refused to cover it. Checkmate.

and while everyone seems to be down on the big bailout, they're ignoring that nothing has been done to reign in the system that got us here. nothing. what's worse, the man who helped push these policies through groups like ACORN is now in charge.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #1295
miss piggy

LADY G, You are MISTAKEN< we are NOT in a DE Pression, we are in a RE-Cession and if you knew anything about history at all, like you say you do, you would know it all started back in the CLINTON admn. I would suggest that you get a few books out and "bone up" on your economics.
Unread 11-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #1296
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

The media is not biased. The media is not biased. The media is not biased

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #1297
LadyGodiva

Why are we in a recession again?

There you go blaming Clinton. We're used to that attitude.

Where is Kermit?
Unread 11-05-2008, 04:28 PM   #1298
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Not siding with or going against anyone here, but I think it's time to look to the brighter side and to the future. I'm prepared to give Obama a chance to perform. I won't shout him down before he has a chance to show what he's got. Traditionally, every new guy/gal on the block is entitled to a "honeymoon" period. Let's give Obama his due.

And besides, I truly believe neither candidate could possibly be as bad as Bush.

Sarah Palin turned out to be the wrong choice. Her brand of politics seems to work in Alaska, where the bear population outnumbers the human one. Did you know there are fewer than a million people up there including indians? The gal is not qualified to become vice president or possibly president. That was one of McCain's blunders (and remember I voted for McCain). I think negative campaigning went against him, too, even though there was plenty of that on both sides. Also, McCain didn't do well in the debates. Obama has much more charisma and is decidedly more eloquent than McCain.

Anyway, I voted for McCain, but I want to give Obama a fair shake. I do hope others will do the same. I would also like to impress on you just one more time that we are all Americans. And no matter who is president we are the most fortunate people in the world. We've had a fair and square election, and "the people" chose their favorite.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #1299
SteveVB
Remodeler -- D.C. Area

Quote:
Sarah Palin was McCain's downfall
Nope, a tax policy that didnt feel good to the middle class was the problem, McCain should have revamped his policy to target the working class/middle class. The economy was the problem, and a friendlier tax plan could have helped there. Sarah palin was fine choice- VP doesnt really matter, though not much focus on Biden, compared to Palin in the press which was interesting. I agree with McCains policy towards business, but I think he could have made it friendlier to those under 150k, at the expense of the ovcer 250 k folks. Obama really beat McCain there, and his tax guys are smart, dont go far enough with the corporate side though, but as far as feel good policy he beat McCain there.

Dan asked:
Quote:
Are "the people" really that stupid? If they are, should we continue with a system that allows stupid people to control so much of our fate?
The answer is yes, they do what feels good, typical of our society- we want to feel good, be liked, not hurt anyone, take responsibility for nothing, but be rewarded for everything. People who dont contribute are always going to vote for someone who gives them something- McCain missed this and went for the rational rather than the emotional- a typical Republician problem.

Quote:
Well, it looks like the markets are reacting to B.O.'s win.

Down 330 points (DOW).
closed down 486, I would have guessed that the market would have rallied on Obama victory and Dems not getting enough seats to filibuster. Along with the crappy economic numbers- expect 200+K jobs to be lost on Friday, you have uncertainty about what Obamas policy actually is- he ran on aIm not Bush, rather than specific adgenda items. Until Obama comes out and details his economic policy the uncertainty will kill the market- he better get it started quickly with cabinet appointments and a announcing some roundtables, or policy discussions, with leaders on the hill from both sides- or this will continue to get ugly.
My guess is that we see more selling as the market also prices in a new risk- Obama. Not only policy risks but instability should something happen to him.

We have never been in this situation and the uncertainty of it is not good for a healthy investment climate. Being the first black president will bring its own trials, and the threats to Presidents are nothing new( I think there are dozens a month), but with the emotion of the black community behind him, if something were to happen I would guess we would have 60's style riots . Nice set up for anyone who would like to inflict some serious damage on the country- a small group of people could bring cities to their knees with the loss of a few motivated martyrs, and it would be over before the truth about who did what was determined. Blacks would assume( just look at LGs posts) that whites were out to get them. It is a fabulous set up for enemies of the US. Add in the crazy white guys and you have multiple reasons to be anxious about a leadership problem. Pray for the Secret Service men and women on the Presidential details.

I hope and Pray that Obama and congress dont start the mandate thing and think that his election was a statement about their ideology and a huge change of direction for the US- They must remember that their whole campaign strategy was not one of idological direction, but change from Bush policy.The system is fine, the leadership needed change. If they over step this, Obama will be a one term guy, and in 2 years we will see more red on the hill.

Have Fun
SteveVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #1300
Bellsfloors
Tile, Wood, LVT, Home Renovation Contractor

I'm sure many of you already know but take a look at:
Wallstreet Today

Flooring-Tile-Waterproof Showers
www.AttentionToPerfection.com
Bellsfloors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #1301
sandbagger

Quote:
And besides, I truly believe neither candidate could possibly be as bad as Bush.
I think I'm gonna bookmark this post, John.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
Unread 11-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #1302
sandbagger

Quote:
We have never been in this situation and the uncertainty of it is not good for a healthy investment climate.
Steve - I think the fear is that we have been in this situation. 1931. If true, we are at a similar crossroads to what Hoover faced. Ironically, historians now pretty much agree that in 1931 we had started a mild "recovery" from the 1929 crash. Hoover got impatient (an election was looming) and in 1932 did all the wrong things.
Quote:
you have uncertainty about what Obamas policy actually is- he ran on aIm not Bush, rather than specific adgenda items.
actually we do know a number of things he threw on the table:

- higher corporate taxes
- higher taxes on investments
- taxing more money away from "rich" people
- trade restrictions

sound familiar? That's also Hoover's list from 1932.

Patrick Henry
Unread 11-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #1303
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Thank you, Art, for pointing out the Hoover was hardly the laissez-faire, do-nothing president that we are told about in high school. Most of FDR's disastrous early moves were nothing more than amped up versions of what Hoover already started. You can add bailouts to Hoover's list as well.
Unread 11-05-2008, 05:49 PM   #1304
LadyGodiva

I didn't like Michelle's choice in dress last night. The kids looked cute though. It's going to be fun watching them grow up (through the media of course). They look like well behaved, sweet girls.
Unread 11-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #1305
HS345
Tile Contractor

The media is not biased, the media is not biased, the media is not biased, the media is not biased, yes we can, yes we can, yes we can, yes we can

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase