Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 03-24-2020, 05:55 PM   #61
cx
Moderator emeritus

Don't know if it will or not, Jerry, but the thread's actually about the current medical situation and financial dealing and not politics, so maybe it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
FWIW, insider trading is illegal.
While that is true, Jim, what we're talking about here would not fall under that statute as I understand it. And whatever it does fall under, you can bet the members of Congress have exempted themselves from it.

Federal Trade Commission might threaten to hold their breath, but I don't think they can make a legal case. We'll see.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2020, 06:07 PM   #62
jerrymlr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
you can bet the members of Congress have exempted themselves from it.
That crap makes me wanna puke. Congress today is as corrupt as any government in the world right now. I'll puke later, for now gonna grab me a Lagunitas IPA.
Unread 03-26-2020, 08:22 PM   #63
Just In Tile LLC

https://www.cato.org/blog/misleading...19-death-rates

Here's a interesting article on the fatality percentage rate-numbers game that seems to be inflated.
Unread 03-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #64
makethatkerdistick

Death rate is only one thing, and even if it is lower than the dreaded 2-3% (which one can only hope), it is still a disaster.

Among the selection of preliminary findings people will often pick what they want to hear. People that are primarily concerned with the economy will point out certain attributes of COVID-19 that suit their point (and vice versa people who are primarily concerned about loss of human life). The fact is that at this point we know too little about the spread unless we massively ramp up our testing (which we hopefully will do). The picture is incomplete.

Regarding the loss of older people in this pandemic, let's not forget that they're our connection to the past, reservoirs of wisdom, experience and knowledge. They might not add much dollar value on a day-to-day basis to the economy anymore but the value they add to our society is quite important.

If you look at the heartbreaking scenes from Italy and Spain where doctors have to abandon older patients in favor of treating younger ones, this is unconscionable. Maybe you'll point to New York and feel lucky you're not in a densely populated urban area but this sort of misery and death could easily come to a hospital near your. Has happened in rural areas in France which one never had previously thought of as possible epicenters of a pandemic.

Lots of folks I know who are in various risk categories. I'd be absolutely devastated to see them suffer, notwithstanding that a more severe form of the disease not too infrequently hits healthy people, too. Even if perhaps only a certain small percentage of those younger ones will die, knowing that you or someone you care about could end up in the hospital with breathing difficulties is frightening in itself. Add to that the uncertainty whether sufficient health care will be available if that happens.

I really like John Campbell's youtube channel. He's a retired medical professional who gives daily evidence-based updates on the pandemic from data and research he collects. Quite good and also apolitical.

Just to clarify, I did not write this reply in response to any particular poster(s) or to challenge their viewpoints. Just the general thoughts of a dude trying to come out of this unharmed (while not accidentally harming others).
Unread 03-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #65
Just In Tile LLC

It is easy to lose sight of real loss against numbers Wolfgang, good of you to remind that.

I personally shrugged off some reports in the beginning because they seemed sensational, and indeed they were. As time moved forward, and information came in a somber yet less over-the-top tone I took to action more readily.

I agree this is a bad situation, and still ongoing, and we won't really know the big picture until pieces can be picked up later. It has revealed a lot of things that hopefully will change in the U.S. (outsourcing key medical supplies) being the big one.

Hindsight is 20/20, and its sobering to be reminded how fragile our way of life is. I know some of my future decisions will be affected by what is happening now.
Unread 03-29-2020, 11:43 AM   #66
makethatkerdistick

Fragility is the key word here for sure, Justin. Reminds me why I like to build stuff with my hands. At least, that gives me the (perhaps erroneous yet comforting) feeling of safety by creating something durable.
Unread 03-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #67
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

We have a fundamental issue...how many people look for the lowest priced items? With our throw-away society, overall quality and longevity isn't as big a deal as moods and desires have changed over the years, so longevity isn't as much of a priority for many people. TO that end, lots of things have labor as a big portion of the cost, and that's why lots of things have moved overseas rather than being made in the USA. There are exceptions. The companies selling the stuff may be US based, and they can provide a high quality product, but that's not always the case. But, moving the manufacturing overseas to boost shareholder's profits is a double-edged sword.

Stuff made in the USA can be superior, but that's not always the case, either.

Applying duties to incoming products can help even the playing field, but it also means (in many cases) that it ends up costing buyers here more money and may not mean an improvement in quality.

As a society, we've got to evaluate what's best for us. We've been moving to a service industry from a manufacturing one for decades, and going back will be tough. Making it here, if it costs more, may no longer be a viable business plan, as who will buy it? Free trade has opened up the world to locate items sourced from those best able to deliver it. What cost in this sort of situation is worth it? Attitudes and practices would have to change, and that's not likely.

I'm not saying we shouldn't rethink this, but it will be a tough row to hoe.

A country shutting down means a disruption in the supply chains. Whether it's here or elsewhere. Even stuff 'made in the USA' often has parts sourced elsewhere.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2020, 11:21 AM   #68
Bodie Powers
Retired cabinet maker/remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
Here's a interesting article on the fatality percentage rate-numbers game that seems to be inflated.
That overlooks the fact that a death is counted only if confirmed by a test. Experts believe that a significant number of Covid-19 deaths go unreported due to the the acute shortage in testing capability.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...a6d_story.html
Unread 04-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #69
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

There's also the issue of (probably) lots of people that have gotten the disease, but it didn't affect them much (if at all). They still could be carriers and infect others, but may actually thought that they had a common cold. For what we think is many people, the symptoms are worse than a cold, but we won't really know until we can test everyone for antibodies.

Until everyone has had the infection or is protected by antibodies (a vaccine), until we can meet the herd protection levels, everyone is still at risk. For some, it could be a deadly event. We'll be worrying about this until there's a widely available vaccine...so probably another year or more. If we're lucky, the weather may have an effect, but don't count on it. It will likely be back next year, if we see it go away this one. There will be fewer people that can catch it since they've already built up immunities, unless it mutates enough (like the common flu), which hopefully, doesn't happen. Otherwise, the new normal will be very different than what we knew.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2020, 06:58 PM   #70
smifwal

At Menards this morning

Name:  Menards.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  73.9 KB

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 04-18-2020 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Rotate pic upright :)
smifwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2020, 10:44 PM   #71
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Yeah, I've seen that a more than one store. Last time I was in Menards, some people didn't give the slightest consideration to others...practically bumping into each other. I see why Menards is putting up those signs all over the store to continuously remind folks. I hope we are able to lift these restrictions soon.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2020, 02:44 AM   #72
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I went to Home Depot the other day and tried to enter thru the lumber end of the store. They had a guy standing there saying this was an exit only. I pointed at the lumber and told him what I needed was right there and he said it didn't matter, I would have to go around thru the main entrance. He said they were only letting 50 people in the store at time. He said that when I get to the entrance door, I'll notice someone there counting people that come in. I couldn't help myself, I asked him if that person was keeping track of the people that are walking out of this door. He gave me the typical deer in the head lights look and said he didn't know.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2020, 04:47 AM   #73
Gozo

Same at my local Home Depot, but the front door guy was in communication with someone at the exit via walkie-talkie. Made sense and kept the number of folks in the store limited. Folks were kind of aware of social distancing and would go around an isle to get to the other side vs. coming up the isle and passing you.
I’d really like to see this level of concern for our fellow human beings continue after this is all over. I doubt it, but it’s nice to have some hope...
Unread 04-20-2020, 07:58 PM   #74
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy
...I couldn't help myself, I asked him if that person was keeping track of the people that are walking out of this door....
He shoulda responded in a louder, more authoritative voice, Sir, I’ve already explained to you...there is a guy counting....the people...that come in!!

Ah, well. Their intention was good.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2020, 10:49 PM   #75
smifwal

I have the same nonsense at my local HD, I had a heart to heart with manager at my store.and calmly tried to explain that by doing this that you are putting people in proximity of people that they would have never been in contact with, if you would let people enter on both ends.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase