Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #61
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
You don't want to jam thinset mortar into that shower head arm hole. 1st, mortar won't seal anything and 2nd, you'll not be able to remove that bushing to install the shower head arm.

Schluter makes a circular seal for both the shower head arm hole and for the shower valve. Given that bushing currently installed you won't be able to use the aforementioned seal until you remove said bushing/plug.

That said, if your shower head arm is installed at the standard height, or higher, I personally wouldn't (and didn't) bother with sealing it. It's just not going to subject to any significant amount of water. When I demo'd my almost 40 year old shower there was no water damage at that hole at all.

If you leave that bushing and plug in when you start tiling make sure you make the hold in the tile large enough so you can get a socket in to remove the bushing.

The trim plate for the shower valve make have a foam gasket around the perimeter.

EDIT: Now I see the shower valve, the Schluter seal won't work on that.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #62
madkaw284

Thanks for the helpful reply. The head is set at 82” above the shower floor. I replaced the plug with a 3” nipple and cap just to keep debris out while finishing the rest of the work. The shower head came with a manufacturer’s pipe, I suppose I could just silicone behind that piece.
The shower valve assembly has a cover plate that I suppose I could also silicone behind unless anyone thinks that would be a bad idea or has any other suggestions.
Unread 03-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #63
madkaw284

Also wanted to ask, because I’m getting mixed information doing my own research, should I go ahead and tape and apply thinset to all of my Durock seams and let cure before I start my tile work, or do I just tape and then appli thinset as I’m installing the tile?
Unread 03-25-2020, 05:54 PM   #64
cx
Moderator emeritus

You can do it either way, Terry, just so long as you do it.

Many folks like to do it as they set the tile to prevent having to tile over a "speed bump."

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2020, 03:22 PM   #65
madkaw284

Evening gentlemen, shower project is coming along very well. Shower is plumbed, tiled, grouted and caulked.
Getting ready to put the marble slab down on my shower curb and have a bit of discrepancy in the top of the curb surface. If the marble slab (1 solid length) doesn’t sit completely flat, should I either

A: Makeup for any flatness discrepancy by backing the marble with additional thinset mortar where needed? Or

2: Use a grinder to level the curb out?

C: Will I have to fill in any low spots and level the curb out with additional mortar and let cure before applying the marble?

Thanks again for all the help guys, I’m just looking for the best way to do this and hear from someone who might have run into this before.
Unread 04-10-2020, 03:25 PM   #66
madkaw284

Aside from the random spatter which I plan on removing, I have a bit of a high spot in the curb where it’s circled.
Unread 04-10-2020, 06:57 PM   #67
cx
Moderator emeritus

I can't tell how bad it might be from your photo, Tim, but might be that you could just knock those blobs off with a rub brick or similar and that might work for your hump, too. Maybe need an angler grinder and diamond cup wheel.

And when you say you're fixin' to make it level, I hope you're confusing that with flat. You definitely want the top of the curb flat, and it wants to be level end to end, but it must slope to the drain side.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2020, 12:49 PM   #68
madkaw284

Everyone, I just want to thank you all for your help with this project! All is done except for installing the frameless shower door and finishing a little bit of drywall work. Wouldn’t have been able to accomplish this without all of your help. I’ll post a few more pictures when everything is completely done, but here is how it looks as of now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 04-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #69
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Nice job.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2020, 09:25 PM   #70
smifwal

Don't let the shower guys drill in to your curb
Unread 04-20-2020, 07:41 AM   #71
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Looks great, Kerry.

Re the door; can't quite tell how thick the solid piece on toppa the curb is. The door guys can drill into it, just not through it.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase