Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-24-2020, 06:31 AM   #16
wesanc

Liquid or sheet membrane for shower base?

Update,

Getting ready to move onto the next phase of my shower remodel. After much debate, I have decided to not go with the traditional pan liner and instead, go with a waterproofing system above the mortar bed. Now my question is whether any of you have experience with using the sheet membrane or liquid membrane and which you prefer or recommend?

I was able to find a licensed and certified tile installer that has pretty solid reviews for several years now. His recommendation was to go with the liquid (Laticrete Hydro Ban) since my shower is not a steam shower.

Anyone have any good or bad experience with the liquid waterproofing? Still wondering if I should stick with the membrane.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Unread 03-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #17
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

From a theoretical standpoint, I imagine sheet membranes like Kerdi to be more tolerant of minor movement in substrates, but that's a seat-of-pants assessment.

I've done exactly one full Hydroban shower (with Kerdi drain) about 8yrs ago. Have since done Kerdi shower in same home, so I got a chance to inspect it top to bottom and have no reason to think it would not hold up.

If working on my own home, I would use a sheet membrane. Actually, I'd use Kerdi Board with Kerdi Band, and mortar floor with Kerdi membrane. I like how well they support the products, and admit to a bias to that end. I imagine there are products just as viable.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger

Last edited by Carbidetooth; 03-24-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #18
wesanc

Thanks for your feedback. The bathroom you said you did 8 years ago with Laticrete was a liquid or membrane?
Unread 03-24-2020, 09:27 AM   #19
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Sorry for the confusion, it was liquid. I believe Laticrete's only offering at the time. CBU walls, mortar floor, coated all in that fetching green color.

I've also used Mapei's Aquadefense some on niches and other details, but never a whole shower.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #20
TipsyMcStagger

I'm currently having a similar shower built. It's curbless and nearly the same dimensionally as yours. In fact, the entire bathroom is nearly identical dimensionally.

The main difference is that my shower is on a concrete slab, not a wood subfloor.

I am the home owner, not a professional. I am having this done by a GC.
After much reserach and consideration, I have decided to have the contractor use Ardex 8 + 9, which is a two part liquid waterproofing membrane.

Just as you as considering, the Ardex liquid waterproofing membrane will be applied to the surface of the mortar bed and tied-in directly to a Showerline linear drain. There will be no pan underneath the motar bed.

The Durock walls have already been waterproofed with the 8 + 9 and the mortar bed should be constructed by the end of the week.
Unread 03-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #21
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Daniel, all of them work if installed properly. You might want to use the one your installer is most comfortable with but ask him questions about it and how he plans to install it. Then research the method to make sure he's doing it right. I have no problem with the liquid membranes for a shower pan as long as the fabric is used with it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2020, 05:38 AM   #22
wesanc

Hi Davy,

Thanks for the feedback. When you say fabric, are you referring to the one that is set with mortar or the one that is used on corners and edges with the liquid?

Thanks,
Daniel
Unread 03-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #23
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I embed it in the paint on membrane, usually Mapei Aqua Defense. Not just in the corners but over the whole floor and up the walls 6-8 inches. I use it using the divot method.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase