Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-19-2020, 02:44 AM   #16
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Here the mother lode thread for niches!

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=97387
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2020, 10:08 AM   #17
gslenk

PC, I've gone through that thread multiple times now

Also, I found out why I used 2" on the vent... Had a gut feeling it had to be for a good reason. Hard to imagine "equivalent length" also applies to air, but that was my thinking then.

With ~20ft actual length, two 90 degree vent ell's, and a fixture "feed" fitting in the dry vent, the "equivalent/developed" length is well over 40ft (UPC) or 42ft (IPC)

EDIT: Seems like "elbow equivalent" lengths don't count in dry vents. Decisions Decisions...

Last edited by gslenk; 03-19-2020 at 12:30 PM.
gslenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2020, 01:41 PM   #18
gslenk

I'm a bit hesitant to modify the vent. Can't seem to come up with anything too worthwhile as a tradeoff, besides a standard size niche (~12"x18") at a more or less standard height.

Here are some ideas that seem reasonable. Anything stand out as too "out there" or any other practical considerations?
Attached Images

Unread 03-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #19
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Is there a possibilty of furring back wall out an inch or two? This would facilitate better insulated niche.

I have sucessfully put niches in 2x4 exterior walls. Attention to details and air sealing plus using XPS or Polyiso foam boards is key. Typical insulation and sheathing details, particularly in older structures, leave a lot of room for improvement.

I would not view the "no niche in exterior wall" as gospel. More difficult? Yes, but not impossible to do well.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger

Last edited by Carbidetooth; 03-20-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #20
gslenk

That suggestion is tempting...

There is 18" to the center of the toilet flange. I'd like to keep as much of that as possible.

Not entirely sure the trade off is worth it in this case. I was getting used to the idea a a nice unobstructed "big main wall" to showcase the tile.
Unread 03-20-2020, 03:38 PM   #21
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Niches can be focal points, it's all the crap they collect that gets to looking bad IMHO

Do you mean to say you've got 18" from front of tub to center of toilet flange? That seems really skinny and not code compliant, if that matters.

Unread 03-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #22
PC7060

Code requires min +/- 15” either side from center of terlet. 18” is roomy.
Unread 03-20-2020, 08:06 PM   #23
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny
There is 18" to the center of the toilet flange. I'd like to keep as much of that as possible.
My question was about the relevance of the above to furring out back wall. It would seem to indicate measurement in front of tub, not wall to toilet flange.

Unread 03-20-2020, 08:44 PM   #24
gslenk

I may have worded that poorly 18" off the wall puts the toilet in the tub, 18" total (left and right) would be really cramped.

It's 18" from the front of the apron to the center-line of the toilet. I planned the whole layout so the toilet would have extra space (36" instead of 30" code minimum), and sacrificed a 48" vanity for a 42" one. The extra space is to hopefully make reaching the shower valves easier, since they are on the same wall as the toilet. I swear, there was no way to flip the shower the other way .

I agree, an empty niche could be beautiful, but a full one... Also, the only one pretty enough to justify a fur out to me would be a full length (horizontal, on the big wall), and that requires a full 2x4 fur out. I have the room, but should I give it up? That's the real question...

Comes down to (pick 2?):
Fur out big wall for awesome big wall niche
Roomy throne space
widest vanity possible

Also... I already did my structural blocking (for the heavy cast iron tub), and plumbing to accommodate the "not fur out" option

Last edited by gslenk; 03-20-2020 at 08:50 PM.
gslenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2020, 07:31 AM   #25
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny
but should I give it up? That's the real question...
If you're seeking opinions mine would be a hard "nope".

As pointed out niches can be a lovely focal point when brand new, but once they are used as intended - accumulating containers and razors and such they're still a focal point, just not as lovely. I wouldn't give up the toilet roominess for the niche knowing what it will look like.

I'm pretty happy mine ended up on the back of a knee wall, can't see it at all from outside the shower.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2020, 07:58 AM   #26
PC7060

I’m going to second Dan’s input. The two I did in the bath renovations a couple years ago definitely look nice but living with them is not a Pinterest moment.

The wide shelf has been very nice and I will be putting the same type shelf in the the showers of the new bathrooms.

The wife said to skip the shower seat too. She only uses when washing dogs and doesn’t like all the space it eats up.

Name:  8CBE201F-94BA-452E-AC6C-019DE6B25582.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  49.0 KB
Unread 03-21-2020, 08:33 AM   #27
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC
She only uses when washing dogs
How does she get them to sit on it?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #28
PC7060

Unread 03-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #29
gslenk

Well that settles it. No furring out. I think I've got a final layout, more or less. Brown is studs, red is the area where the door should go.

PC, nice build thread. After having niches under the shower head, anything you would have done differently? Higher/lower? Shelf placement?

And some finer details...

1) Any thoughts on the hand shower supply elbow location? I see that the bar I am looking at has an option of water supply drop integrated into the lower mount. Any experience with those and is it worthwhile? I'm thinking it may be a bad idea if future replacement of faulty parts is necessary, but not completely sure about that.

2) Full studs or studs and blocks in between in the red areas? Doubtful I would ever go full hinged glass door. I'm leaning towards basic curtain, or frame-less double bypass (sliding) glass door.

Lastly, if you have any experience with Kohler Villager tubs, any input on the surface finish? Accept the bumpiness as normal, or play the exchange game/workout? Overall finish looks OK in normal light, and I suppose it gives character if it is normal.
Attached Images

Unread 03-22-2020, 08:58 AM   #30
PC7060

Quote:
PC, nice build thread. After having niches under the shower head, anything you would have done differently? Higher/lower? Shelf placement?
Thanks for the complement, Matt. The niches in both bathrooms came out well although we skipped the glass shelf in the shower. As Dan mentioned earlier, they both require a bit more cleaning, the glass shelf even more so.

My biggest compliant is not with the niche but with my kids shoving empty bottles and such in the niche rather than just throwing them away. I’ve always said I’m a hard working lazy guy and have found its much easier to clean as you go rather than have a big mess later. My kids haven’t learned that message. This also explains how the TP will often be left on the vanity rather than just slipping it into the holder.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase