Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-15-2020, 11:36 AM   #1
bmurfo

Tile transition from shower wall to bathroom wall

I have a project where I am tiling my shower walls as well as the bathroom walls themselves. It is an alcove shower and I have already done the long sided shower wall using 12" tiles being 5 wide and 6 high with a listello and bull nose along the top. The front and the rear of the shower will be the same height and about 32"wide. The outer edge of the shower front and rear walls will have bull nose down until where it will intersect with the bathroom wall.
The bathroom walls are using the same 12" tile being three high and topped with the same listello and bull nose. My question relates to the transition where the shower wall pattern meets up with the bathroom wall pattern. The top of the first shower wall tile will be about 3" higher than the bathroom wall tile due to the 3" height of the shower pan. I considered shortening the first shower wall tile but then shower walls would not blend together. Also considered having that transition occur behind the shower door framing so not as visible. Any thoughts on this? Thanks
Unread 03-15-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Hi Bill,

Could you post a couple pictures and maybe a sketch of the layout? I’m having a hard time getting my head around your questions.
PC7060 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2020, 10:04 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Trying to make a height transition between the field tiles inside and outside the shower with a 3” stagger will look odd.

The grid of field tiles inside and outside the shower should all be at the same height. If you value a full height tile outside the pan, then the tile above the pan would be 3” shorter. Unfortunately, you’ve already tiled above the pan with full-height tiles as your first course, thereby reducing your options at this point.

My first inclination would be to re-tile the shower wall 3” lower than what you’ve got so that you can have a full height field tile at the floor outside the shower. That’s easy for me to say. But I realize that few folks want to stomach redoing work they’ve just completed. So, if you’re not in the mood to redo the tiles inside the shower, here’s a couple of suggestions: keep the grid of field tiles together and simply be “okay” with 3” tall tiles down at the floor outside the shower....or install a decorative base tile at the floor that would take the place of the 3” tall tiles at the floor.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase