Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-13-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
Artisan Tile Creations

Large Format Pricing

Hi guys,
I'm working on a bid for a high end showroom. There are a ton of tile details but the ones I'm looking for help with on pricing are the 4'x4'. 4'x8', 5'x5' and 5'x10 panels.

If you have an informed opinion, I would love to hear your thoughts.
Unread 02-13-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

IF you've not installed large panels, you should consider some training first. It will also potentially require a moderate amount of new equipment to move and cut those panels.

WHat will these panels be applied to? A slab, or a wooden subfloor structure?

Don't let them specify a really thin panel...those have not proven to survive long-term on a floor. Those recommendations may have changed since I had some years ago.

Over a large surface, you must incorporate some expansion joints. Those could either be soft caulk joints, or an engineered joint. Depending on the layout, that can be tough to make look good.

If over a slab, you'll need to check out any cracks, and plan for leveling the surface...those large panels demand a very flat surface, or lippage will become a major issue. Once you've set a panel down, getting it back up to make adjustments without breaking it can be problematic. You have a chance of sliding it a bit one way or the other, but lifting can be tough to break the initial suction. Consider slant notched trowels.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #3
Artisan Tile Creations

We've installed 4'x4' before and I will be sending my guys to Nashville for panel certification prior to doing any of the panel work on this project. I have incredible representation and access to info from my Laticrete Reps, so I have no real concern for actually completing the installation.

I'm simply interested in seeing where people think the labor price per sq ft should be coming in at.
Unread 02-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
Artisan Tile Creations

As for leveling, we will be using Laticrete Supercap to pump in approximately 860 bags of NXT Level plus so the slab will be near perfect.
Unread 02-13-2020, 07:45 PM   #5
D & D Reno

Try the Facebook group Tile Money. They can help you gauge stuff like this. Search some posts, or post some specs and people will chime in with what they charge.
Unread 02-14-2020, 03:03 PM   #6
Artisan Tile Creations

Thanks Antonio.
Unread 02-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #7
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

We charge $40_-$50 a sqft depending how many mitered edges there are. If they use schluter it's on the lower end
Unread 02-17-2020, 09:43 PM   #8
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

When I took the Crossville class for large format panels they said on average $15.00 per Sq Ft.
On walls I have charged $900.00 per panel.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2020, 06:12 AM   #9
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

$15 a sq works in a commercial setting. I find most of these manufacturers like to make it sound easier than it is.A residential bath will break you quick at that rate. Getting in the house through doorways and cut tight to ceilings etc
Not to mention the prep involved before you start setting. $15 a sq wouldn't even cover a slab if you broke one from some of the suppliers.
Unread 02-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #10
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Hey Karl, have you used Inalco Slimm? The ones I have used all seem a little different. Some are a little harder than I prefer. Coming from Miami so I figured I'd ask.
Unread 02-20-2020, 08:32 AM   #11
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Don't listen to the hype by the sales people about these large panels. It is a high end super pricey material. For large commercial spaces where space is no problem, installs can go smoothly. In some residential situations it can be a nightmare to get these panels into place. I watched a slab company trash 2 panels on a job last month. All it took was a mere bump of an edge to shatter a piece off. Unlike stone, a repair was impossible.
You need to charge a super premium to work with this material. Most fabricators have been working with this material as they have the shop, equipment and trucks to haul and install.
You are not going to do this material out of your garage!!!

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2020, 11:30 PM   #12
smifwal

I got bedazzled by the big money to be made doing panels, my Stone Peak rep sent me and a buddy to Crossville, TN everything paid for. I bought some of tools(3k the sigma lift and the kera cut and the sigma bevel machine which I love and use often" and near bought a few things they said I needed but after meeting a local fabricator he saved me from spending about $5k on the miter master and the blue ripper senior. He said they almost never use the miter master and the blue ripper senior was nothing more than a Makita worm drive circular saw(I own one for framing) with a water sprayer, GFI and a tile blade.

I have yet to do a single job with a panel. I have met with a few clients and the logistics of getting the panel in or the astronomical price of installation prevented me from getting the job.

One job there was a need to remove a second story wind and a crane was going to be needed to get the panels to the master shower. Another one was on a commercial job, the elevator wasn't tall enough to accommodate the panel so we were going to need to take out a second-floor window and get a crane to lift them up. On one of those jobs there was a three-month lead time to get the panels could you imagine nicking a panel having to pay for it then having to explain to your customers while you're 4 months behind schedule.

This is not every job or every situation so don't let me to suede you from doing these large porcelain panels there is good money to be made otherwise I would have never invested in it there's a guy on here that does them in Florida all the time.

Here in the Midwest they have not taken off but I got my training I got my tools and I'm ready to go should they blow up and the Kansas City market. If and when they do I will charge a premium

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase