Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-17-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
Tom Hoffman

What about this Shower Curb?

Any reason I can't make my shower curb this way?

I started with a Schluter 55"x55" sloped linear drain shower pan. The left to right is about 54", but it is only about 48" deep. The piece I cut off the pan is inverted and reversed and laid on top of the pan and is level. I'd thinset it together and wrap with Kerdi-band as directed.

I might also add a strip of 1/2" Kerdi-board on top as the curb height is 1" off the pan at the left side and I'm not sure if I like that or not. If I added the Kerdi-board strip on top, I'd thinset that on top and wrap with Kerdi-band as directed.

I'll be using a glass door over the curb.

Ditra will cover the floor.
Attached Images

Tom Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-17-2020, 03:27 PM   #2
Kman

Welcome back, Tom.

So is the drain next to the curb?

You can stack Kerdi board as high as you need to for water retention, or just for your own satisfaction.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #3
Tom Hoffman

Offset linear drain along the right side of the picture where the hole is.

There is a joist in the center of the new shower (sigh), so I didn't have a lot of choice. And, despite the original 1996 shower having a Florestone moulded pan, enough water got under the old mud bed outside the pan that it rotted a big chunk of the original subfloor which I replaced before adding 1/2" underlayment.
Attached Images

Unread 01-17-2020, 11:14 PM   #4
Brassaw

Nice use of scrap!
Unread 02-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #5
Tom Hoffman

Wish me luck. Flood test coming on Tuesday.

I finished the shower pan yesterday. I used Schluter All-Set.

I used some painters tape when I put the Kerdi-band on the pan to minimize thinset messiness. Everything overlapped a minimum of 2". I also used the Schluter Tips to reduce kerdi build up where I was able to -- unfortunately the drain corners and curb corners have 3 layers in a couple places - unavoidable as far as I could figure out. Everything else is 2 layers only.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tom Hoffman; 02-02-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Unread 02-02-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Nice work, Tom. I see no reason why it won't fly.....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2020, 06:12 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Tom, is the curb level from left to right with a slight pitch toward the shower?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #8
Tom Hoffman

The curb does pitch into the shower slightly. The bubble on my level is still inside the marks, but touching the mark on the outside of the curb.
Unread 02-02-2020, 08:57 PM   #9
Tom Hoffman

Oh, and left to right is level. I had a Schluter 55" x 55" pan. The left to right length is about 54" and the front to back is about 48". I cut the sloped side off 4 1/2" and put that on the pan to level it out for the curb. See the first post I made. That's just how my shower layout ended up and I figured that was a good way to build the curb.
Unread 02-02-2020, 10:43 PM   #10
D & D Reno

Not sure how or why it would matter for a curb, but Schluter pans are expanded polystyrene (EPS), Schluter curbs are made from Kerdi board which is extruded polystyrene (XPS). They are actually different materials.

Seems like a great idea to give a lower curb and reduce waste!
Unread 02-02-2020, 11:06 PM   #11
Tom Hoffman

When I was researching it all and building my materials list, it looks like Schluter makes two kinds of curbs. One is Kerdi-board, folded and glued - that's the one your talking about. The other curb they sell (or used to sell) has no Kerdi fabric on it and looks to be the same styrofoam as the shower pan. But, neither comes longer than 48", so I would need two of them, and I figured this would be fine since it all seems compatible. The inverted piece of shower pan gives 1" off the shower pan and I added two layers of 1/2" Kerdi-board I had left for a curb height of 2" at the high end of the pan and 3" at the linear drain.
Unread 02-03-2020, 06:53 AM   #12
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Tom, I did read your first post but you never mentioned the curb being level so I was just making sure. I'd want the pitch to be about 1/8.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
D & D Reno

Tom - not knocking your ingenuity at all. It’s a great idea. I only pointed out the difference because I found it curious. You would naturally assume the pans are made from Kerdi board.
Unread 02-03-2020, 12:15 PM   #14
Tom Hoffman

I measured the slope....I'd say it is 1/16 right now. I'm probably going with a solid piece on top the threshold...I'll just fudge it a bit more when setting it.
Unread 02-03-2020, 12:24 PM   #15
Tom Hoffman

Antonio...no offense taken...I find it a little strange myself. The Kerdi-board uses one kind of foam, the tray for the Kerdi Linear Drain another kind of foam and the Kerdi Shower Pan is yet another kind of foam. They all seem happy to be set with thinset and they all are compatible with Kerdi-band, so I figured why not.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase