Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 06-14-2016, 03:04 PM   #316
aca66

Thanks Michael, that's kinda strange your last post wan't showing when I posted my last comment. (or at least I didn't see it) Do you think the Ultracolor Plus is my best option? I will need to seal that if I use it in the shower right? Does it come in the same colors as the Flexcolor CQ? We had the Cocoa color picked out.
Unread 06-24-2016, 01:08 PM   #317
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Yes, Ultracolor Plus is going to be your best bet for grout joints that go from that thin to that wide. It's available in all of our colors, including Cocoa.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #318
coopatroopa

I used the pearl grey color of this grout today on my matte white subway tile tub surround. Color is great and overall the grout was pretty easy to use. I am, however, getting a haze/film on some of the tiles, despite following the instructions. I'm guessing it i dried up a little faster than i could get it off. Same film that is all over my hands after forgetting to pick up gloves. Almost like a rubber membrane.

Anyway, it will come off the tile with elbow grease, but how long should i wait to let the grout harden before i can really scrub it? Right now if i am really careful to avoid the grout joints i can get it off but that is very time consuming. Any tips?
Unread 07-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #319
BennyBen

Mapei suggested heavy-duty tile and grout cleaner on another post. Try with a clear dishsoap first. i always try to remove the haze as soon as i can.

Last edited by BennyBen; 07-05-2016 at 01:30 AM.
BennyBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #320
coopatroopa

Thanks for the suggestion. For now a lightly dampened non-scratch scouring pad is doing the job, just taking a while. It is basically on the surface of all the tiles. Either i misinterpreted the instructions somehow, or the easy removal is not so easy.
Unread 07-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #321
Company Representative

You can try one of the citrus based cleaners (Goo-Gone, Goof-Off, etc) to facilitate removing the haze. Typically the culprit with grout haze with these ready-to-use products is not changing out the wash water frequently enough. When the water dries, it leaves a thin acrylic haze that sounds like what you're describing.

Unread 08-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #322
johncampanale

Enclosed Sponge

I have a question for y'all. Getting ready to use the Flexclolor CQ for 2 bathrooms on both the bathroom floors, the shower and bathtub walls and the shower floor. I see that they are including a Mapei sponge with the 1 Gal tubs of FlexColor CQ. The included sponge is a SQUARE edge sponge and all throughout the instructions I see that we should be using a ROUND edge sponge! What is the scoop on that? Also, how long after grouting do we wait to install the toilet? What about using the shower? I have seen both the 7 day and 3 day timeframes listed.

Thanks,
John
Unread 08-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #323
Company Representative

John, thanks for your questions. When we first came out with Flexcolor, we were touting a rounded edge sponge (that's what I used on the floors in my house, for instance). Since then, we've decided that the square edge sponges have a slight advantage in cleanup. To be honest, it seems to be a personal preference thing as it's very hard to quantify an advantage either way. The sponges in the bucket do work quite nicely.

As for your showers, this product air dries. We've tested it at 3 days and haven't had issues but if it's humid, cold, or you don't have much air movement in that area you're going to be better off giving it a week. Again, I know both of these sound like wishy-washy answers but that's because we're tying to cover a variety of variables we, as manufacturers, can't really control. Hope this helped!

Unread 08-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #324
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Welcome to the forum, John.

Curious how the new Delta Cruzer tile saw stacks up against Dewalt? Check out the full review and video on DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #325
johncampanale

Thanks for all the help so far, this is what we have done so far!Name:  IMG_20160810_141004.jpg
Views: 1789
Size:  37.8 KB
Unread 10-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #326
jeff_free69

Seems like an excellent product - so whats the latest buzz?
(how's it holding up? is the honeymoon over? etc etc)

As a newbie I work pretty slow and in small batches. I don't have any problem mixing, as long as its not premeasured packets (epoxy) where you have to rush to use the whole batch or toss it. So I like the idea of being able to do patchup the next day, or just saying - that's enough for one day.

I'm doing a small bathroom floor of 2" mosaic white /grey polished marble. I've already sealed it once and am wondering if this is a good product to use.

The mosaic grout lines are just over 1/8 " (must be some odd metric spacing), so I guess that requires I use a sanded grout, which this is. Of course I understand that this may cause scratching, but is there really any choice in that regards?

Also, the "white" doesn't look very white on the website color chart - what's it lt like in person? Any idea how it would compare to Custom Polyblend Snow White (this one works for me) ? How would Mapei Avalanche compare to Poly Bright White?
Unread 10-17-2016, 03:51 PM   #327
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

The Avalanche is the whitest white of any grout.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #328
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Jeff

Mapei always suggests doing a mock up to verify if scratching will occur on sensitive materials.

If Flexcolor CQ doesn't work, you can consider Ultracolor Plus FA, but remember this is a rapid setting grout.

Avalanche #38 is the brightest white available.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #329
jeff_free69

Thanks guys,

If 38 Avalanche is the world champion bright-white, then I guess I should just ignore how it looks on my monitors . 00 "White" might be all I need. maybe the shadow effect along the top of each sample just darkens the overall impression too
http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/coloured-grouts-list.asp

As far as the scratching , I'm checking out litearture on Ultracolor Plus FA, , which is "Fine Aggregate" and I gather is intended to let it get into smaller joints (1/16). Sounds like that could minimize scratching (?), though it still has a disclaimer about that possibility.

Another question about flexcolor CQ -
I think I read somewhere along the way that not only does it not need a sealer, it "does not accept a sealer".
Any ideas on what happens if it does get some sealer on it? I mean I'll still have to seal the mosaic marble tiles periodically, won't I? I don't see being able to do that perfectly without ever touching the grout.
Right now I'm using Miracle Sealant 511 , which is solvent based. - bad for Flex CQ??

Last edited by jeff_free69; 10-18-2016 at 11:55 AM.
jeff_free69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #330
nelsonkoehn
showers & more

Neither does porcelain tile accept sealer.

It just won't absorb into it. Remember to wipe it down within the allocated time.

I don't think you need to worry about FlexColor scratching. I've used it on a fairly wide variety of materials and have not seen it scratch.

The aggregate is a rounded material, not sharp edged. It rolls off as you work it in.

Having said that, it is still a wise idea to do a sample first.

tile.nkoehn.com
nelsonkoehn is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase