Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 09-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
figaro

Polishing Marble

I bullnosed some carrera marble using a profile wheel then wet polishing starting with 100 all the way to 6000 but am not getting the gloss sheen to match the rest of the tile. I have a "buff" pad in my polishing pad kit but it is black and just leaves black marks. I don't have a lot of experience with this. What next step/method do I need to take at this point to get it glossier. Thanks
Unread 09-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
koihito
A person, like you.

Carrara is pretty soft, I would normally start with maybe a 220 and go up. How course is your profile wheel?

When you say its not glossy enough does it have deep scratches when you are done or is it just dull looking? In either case you may not be spending long enough somewhere in your process. How are you checking your progress as you go? blowing air from a compressor is a good way to dry it off fast and see how you are progressing.

How big a jump are you taking between grits? If they are to big that could be a problem...

You need to get a buffing wheel and some white wax for lighter colored stones. Black wax on light stones is no good

www.mikoskiconstruction.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Figaro, I'll move you over here where more of our stoners usually hang out.

If you'll type polishing into the Advanced Search feature and ask for Titles you'll find lots of discussion on stone polishing to get you started.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
figaro

When I finished polishing the round over, all the way up to 6000 grit, I could see a difference in the sheen where I was polishing the round over and the face of the polished marble. So I backed off and started over, not skipping any grits. 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500, 3000, 6000. I try to be thorough, I guess I expect the 6000 to be as polished as the polished face of the tile but maybe i'm wrong. I'm using a wet polisher with diamond pads. I bought them off af e-bay a while back. Maybe they're just cheap and inefficient. I see people using dry pads and am wondering how effective they would be for this.
Thanks
Unread 09-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
figaro

Thanks cx. I did do a search but didn't really find anything that would help me, but i'll look again.
Unread 09-25-2014, 10:46 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Might try the Liberry under Bullnose, too. Some youtubes linked in there. No idea how useful they might be.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Figaro

There is no reason you should ever have to go over 3,000 - 3,500 grit wet diamond pad to polish marble.

Since your pads go up to 6,000 grit, I presume they may be intended for granite. The difference is in the composition of the pad, just like a diamond saw blade. Not all are created equal.

I have had great success dry polishing with Alpha Velcro backed sandpaper. The key is to get all the original saw marks/deep scratches out on the initial pass. Anything left behind will not come out on successive grits. With every grit you advance you will create a new scratch pattern. That must be even before proceeding.

The benefits of sandpaper is the aluminum oxide or carborundum will start to wear down and clog and automatically start moving toward the next higher grit, thus polishing the stone earlier. It is not uncommon to achieve a high polish with a 360 grit sandpaper (Alpha).

They (Alpha) are sold in boxes of each independent grit, or a variety pack (which I recommend for beginners) in either 4" or 5'' diameters. I use them on my Makita 9227C, but have even started basic shaping and scratch removal with a palm sander (with wet/dry sandpaper).

If you don't want to try the dry method, try changing your wet pads to a brand such as Abrasive Technologies for marble.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
figaro

Thanks doitright, I'm at job now and just tried it again and the best I can get is a satin finish even going all the way to 6000. I understand the concept of not skipping grits and working your way up but still don't understand my problem. think I've just got cheap pads it shouldn't be this difficult. Some of the pads I'm using are brand new. I would love to get set up with a dry system and think I will take your advice on products. Thanks
Unread 10-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #9
Stone Dude

I don't think you'll have any luck with dry pads on Carrara, it doesn't handle the heat and friction very well.

Honestly, if you're almost there, but just need that extra pop, you can do it by hand. We do it in the shop all the time. Get a rag and soak it in water, then wring it out completely so it's damp. Fold it into 4 layers so it's nice and thick/soft. Put some marble polishing powder on there (I think just about any one of them will work like this) and contour the rag around the bullnose. Rub aggressively in a linear pattern along the bullnose, taking care not to get any up on the face.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #10
doitright

Hi Cameron

I agree that the dry diamond pads may not work, I disagree about using sandpaper. I've had great success over the years with this method myself.

I also agree that the marble polishing compound may be all that is needed to "pop" the shine. It's also possible that if poor quality pads with the wrong matrix were used, the "pop" gained from using the marble polishing compound may not produce a factory shine for lack of clarity.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

Unread 04-27-2016, 12:39 PM   #11
Montolit

Sorry to drag up an old thread but....

With Carrara what sort of speeds RPM would you usually use to achieve a good bullnose edge finish?

I've picked up that 200 trough to 3500 grit pads should achieve a good finish with possibly a compound to gain extra pop?
Unread 04-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #12
doitright

Hi Kevin

Do not exceed 2,000 rpm.

You'd be surprised how much shaping and polishing you can do with sandpaper.

A marble polishing compound will always help "pop" the final shine.

Unread 04-27-2016, 04:21 PM   #13
stu rosen

Yeah I agree with Cam and John-I might add if its too much to do by hand use a flexible backer 4 inches and a hogs hair pad with a good acidic polishing compound.Work the pad around the bullnose-you dont need a lot of water.
Once your pad is loaded with compound the polishing will become easier.
Run the diamonds up to a point where you see some sheen if possible then polish.
Unread 04-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #14
Montolit

Thanks guys.!

I used to own a Flex 12-3 100 wet but ended up selling it on as it sat doing nothing for so long, but im now needing another machine...

Have been looking at just gettin the same Flex machine:

https://www.flex-tools.com/gb/Produk..._WET/index.php

Or trying a Makita instead:

http://www.makitauk.com/products/con...-polisher.html

Makita seem to get good reviews these days?

Alternatively, there are budget wet polishers on ebay that go from 900 to 2950 RPM:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-GB

Last edited by Montolit; 04-28-2016 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Additional link
Montolit is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase