Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #1
preconnect

Gap between top of tile wall and drywall

I recently had my master bath re-tiled. When I started getting things ready to paint i noticed a large gap where the corners of the shower come together. This picture shown is looking down from the ceiling. I can actually put my fingers down in this gap. The gap is biggest at the corner, and going out it gradually reduces. The gap is on both walls where they meet. From standing on the floor you don't notice this gap. Two questions....Is this normal, and what should I use to fill this gap? Thank you in advance for any knowledge
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Jim.

How were your shower walls constructed? It may be that your tile contractor was making the walls plumb for his tile installation, but that's just a guess.

We'd need to know how the walls were constructed to give you any good advice on whether it's at all necessary for you to do anything with those gaps you see.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:06 AM   #3
preconnect

Thank you CX

I did the demo of the bathroom, the walls are 2x4, the installer covered them with durarock . He did say when he started the the wall was out of plumb. I just have a concern with moisture getting behind the wall and was wondering if I should fill in the gap, and what I can fill it with. Otherwise the tile job looks good, this is my only concern. As i said the gap is pretty large as I can fit my fingers down in it. Thanks again
Old 12-07-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

What did he do to waterproof the walls either before or after the Durock was installed?

Old 12-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
preconnect

Thank you CX

I know the joints were all taped and sealed as far as anything else I have no idea
Old 12-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #6
cx
Da Home Builder

No polyethylene moisture barrier behind the Durock or direct bonded waterproofing membrane applied to the inside of the Durock? Something red or green or blue or orange maybe?

Old 12-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #7
speed51133

you can see the cement board peeking out and the tape. doesn't sound like any waterproofing used
time to have a talk with the contractor....
Old 12-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
preconnect

Waterproofing

I took off the shower handle cover and looking into the hole, I see nothing on the durock other than the tile cement. Is that a must to put on the water barrier? I have a call into the contractor to see what he says.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #9
speed51133

probably something along the lines of "the tile is waterproof, just use a grout sealer".....

please let us know
Old 12-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

here in the civilised part of the world we silicone around the tops of tile walls and skirtings to stop condensation getting down between tiles and wall board
Old 12-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #11
preconnect

Waterproofing

Update....He used a rubber membrane and poured the pan, the niche was waterproofed. The walls are durock with seems taped. There was no waterproofing put on the walls or floor. Is this a setup for failure?
Old 12-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #12
cx
Da Home Builder

By "rubber membrane" I presume you're describing a PVC pan liner material used to construct the shower receptor, Jim. That's fine if, and only if he created a pre-slope prior to installing the liner such that the liner and then the top deck-mud bed were sloped a minimum of 1/4" per foot to the farthest point from the drain.

But not providing any water containment for the walls is a fatal flaw according to ceramic tile industry standards. And if he's charging people money to build tile showers he should be very familiar with those standards.

Lack of wall waterproofing is not likely to make your shower fail this week, but it definitely shortens the projected life span of the unit. When you pay for a new tile shower, you expect to get a shower constructed to meet building code, product manufacturers' instructions, and industry standards. Sounds like you are a bit short.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #13
speed51133

ask him how he waterproofed the WALLS.

You described the floor, which was only a partial answer. Specifically ask if the PVC membrane was attached directly to the floor, or did he first slope a mud bed, then attach the liner, then another mud bed.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #14
preconnect

Gap between wall and tile

First off thank you for all the feedback. The pan was poured correctly with proper slope, the niche is waterproofed, the walls were not waterproofed, just taped and mudded. I understand they should have been waterproofed. Getting back to the original question about the gap at the top of the tile. To fill this in should I use grout, tile cement, silicone caulk?

Thank you for all the help
Old 12-08-2018, 08:05 AM   #15
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Since it's so big, I'd fill it with sanded grout and move on with your painting.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase