Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
pilotdog68

How to finish edge over tub apron flange?

Picture attached

I have never tiled anything before much less a bathtub, and I can't figure out what to do with this edge. All of the videos I have seen are with tubs that don't have the flange extending down the side. It goes all the way out to the edge of the wall, so including the flange I will only have about 1-1.5" of space to work with on the corner.

The wallboard is 1/2", but the tub is shimmed away from the wall a bit, so this flange is on a different plane behind rest of the wall, and if I add a strip of board over top of it it will protrude past the other walls.

Will thinset bond to the acrylic tub flange? Do I need to glue something else over it first? How much of a gap can I fill with thinset before it's compromised?

And somehow I need to work some corner bead into this plan to meet the drywall that will be on the right side too.

The tub walls will be done in 3x6 subway tiles
Attached Images

Last edited by pilotdog68; 02-17-2019 at 11:32 AM.
pilotdog68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Pilot.

First, what is your plan for waterproofing the walls in that shower?

It's unfortunately very uncommon to find tubs with tiling flanges at the front. I hope it becomes much more common and that the manufacturers start also making the flange go all the way around that tub corner, too. But that's a different discussion.

You've got a poor situation there at your tub leg and I'd need an answer to my question above to address it at all.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
pilotdog68

CX

That gray board is Densshield and is my waterproofing. The joints/seams get siliconed.
Unread 02-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

My guess is you replaced tub with one that's deeper front to back.
The only way I'd consider this well solved is to fur out the wall(s) adjacent to tub and re-drywall so I end up with a tile-able and decent looking leg width there. That or smaller tub.

I'm assuming this is a tub/shower. What's your plan for tying the surface of Denshield to tub deck? That joint needs to be waterproof and flexible. Core of Denshield is susceptible to moisture damage. I'm not much of a fan.

Thinset will not bond to acrylic lip, nor will it bond to silicone caulk.

What's your plan for ending field tile at outside corner? I tell clients to find some photo they like the look of and I'll tell them if it's;

1. possible to do well
2. Gonna look like poo

Don't want to use metal corner bead, plastic mo' betta.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I can't ever remember seeing a flange on the leg like that. I agree with furring out the wall there that has the insulation showing if it's possible.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

You still need to do something with that joint between the DensShield and the top of the tub's tiling flange. Just putting some silicone caulking there is not sufficient. A strip of a sheet-type direct bonded waterproofing membrane adhered to the tiling flange with a sealant such as Kerdi Fix and to the DensShield with thinset mortar would be your best option. Same with the flange at the tub leg.

And I agree with extending that wall for a properly waterproofed tub leg. You could just fur it out with a couple 2x4s and wrap it with your wallboard like a column if you don't wanna fur out the entire wall. Trim it or tile it and call it a feature.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 02-17-2019, 08:46 PM   #7
pilotdog68

thanks for all replies. Unfortunately this was the apparent "design" of the space from the beginning. The tub is the same size as the old one, 60x30, but the flange extends to 31.5" at its widest. To the right off-camera is an already-too-narrow "hallway" to the door of the bathroom, so I definitely cant fur out the whole thing. I might be able to do a small collumn-ish bump-out if I have to, but i'm worried that would look unsatisfactory.

If I can find some narrow 1" edging tile, how would I adhere it to the flange? Can I glue the corner bead over the flange and then tile over that?

CX, regarding waterproofing, are there any comparable products to Kerdi Band and Kerdi Fix that don't have such a high markup?
Unread 02-17-2019, 10:56 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

USG makes Durock Shower System membrane and you can get it in 5" rolls from Amazon. Actually a superior product to KerdiBand.

Kerdi Fix I really like, but you can get a similar (not the same) product at your local Homer's called Sikaflex Construction Sealant, with which I've also found useful in similar applications.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 02-17-2019, 11:55 PM   #9
Shaklee3

CX, for my own information, why is it superior? I noticed it's significantly cheaper than kerdi -- the shower kit as well. Are all parts of that better (not just in price) in your opinion?
Unread 02-18-2019, 07:41 AM   #10
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
The Durock band has a lower perm rating, is thinner (less build up), and creases easier than Kerdi band. It is very easy to work with.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2019, 08:15 AM   #11
Shaklee3

Dan, does that include the drain as well? I noticed people on here are very fond of the kerdi drain, but I haven't seen the drain cover up much. Either way, thanks for the suggestion since I haven't bought the kerdi shower kit yet and will need to buy one soon. Time to research more.
Unread 02-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #12
SpaceCadet

Is this the Durock band you're talking about? https://www.homedepot.com/p/DUROCK-5...0148/205359641
Unread 02-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

You could mix and match with the Kerdi drain if you want, Cliff, but the Durock drain is also fine. And what Dan said about that band goes for the sheet membrane, too. With the Durock system the materials are exactly the same in the sheet or the band. You can just cut strips from your sheets if you don't have the band.

Yes, Paul. Good deal less expensive on Amazon.

Unread 02-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #14
pilotdog68

This blog (which refers to this forum form time to time), suggests using mesh tape smeared with Polyurethane to waterproof the flange gap. I wonder if I could carry that down the dogleg for a seamless waterproof layer, then run my corner bead and tile over that?
Unread 02-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #15
cx
Moderator emeritus

You can/may do whatever you like, of course, Pilot, but I think that's a very poor idea.

Last edited by cx; 02-18-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase