Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-17-2018, 05:25 PM   #16
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

One other thing that can promote cracking of tile is differential heating, often caused by a large expanse of windows. While many people avoid them like the plague, in-field expansion joints can help thermal expansion issues in a tile field if it is exposed to temperature swings. But, your cracks are probably due to slab issues, potentially normal. There are ways to isolate the tile from the slab through crack isolation materials, highly modified thinsets, or a combination of both.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:58 AM   #17
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Lana, let us know how the meeting goes with the engineer. I bet he will advise getting soaker hoses and keeping the soil damp around your foundation.

Do you have any extra tiles?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:50 PM   #18
Triplelandj

Unfortunately the builder only left us 1 extra tile...and we must be over 2 dozen tiles at this point that have cracked.

Someone had mentioned in this thread to wait before re doing the floor because there will likely be more cracks. He was right....they keep coming. When do the cracks stop cracking? Is it when the foundation crack makes it to the other side of the house (assuming thatís whatís causing the tiles to crack). I keep hearing these ďbangsĒ and realize they are more splitting tiles! Itís so hard to be convinced the issue to be ďnormalĒ when the floor is splitting before my eyes.

Keeping my fingers crosssed that itís not a huge deal. It gets my blood pressure up every morning as I see the crack get longer and longer.

Yes, Iíll keep you posted. Weíre awaiting to get scheduled for the structural engineer. I imagine itíll be a couple weeks, as it seems to be a fairly slow process. Looking forward to some answers!

Thank you all for your advice and Knowledge!
Old 07-18-2018, 09:22 PM   #19
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Most all slabs crack. IF the tile are not installed with that in mind, they'll crack, too. Note, if a crack has variations in height from side to side, you cannot retile things. Spreading cracks can be dealt with, but not elevation changes.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #20
Triplelandj

I just wanted to give an update, since it was requested.
The engineer came out today and took measurements (slab elevation) and compared them to when our house was built. There has been little to no movement. The dozens of tiles cracked because of the slab crack (like you all said) and the dry weather. Whew! Big relief! I think Iíll wait a while before redoing the floor, but When we do redo it, Iíll remember to make sure there is some sort of crack resistant barrier underneath the new flooring.
Thank you all for your help!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase