Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
Balbertmn

Floor Composition Question - Bathroom Remodel

Hello,

I've spent about 10+hours researching the forum. Lots of great advice so far. Appologize if this has been answered somewhere else and i'm beating a deadhorse. I think the answers are in many posts, but couldn't determine if all of the products work together correctly.

I'm looking at tiling my bathroom in my 1910 house and will be ripping up the old flooring which consisted of sheet vinyl laid on 1/4 underlayment over what i'm anticipating was the original 3/4"thick maple wood floors on the original diagonal ~3/4" subfloor. Based on the other areas of the house and the access panel behind the tub there are 2x8 doug fir at ~16in o.c. spanning in the range of 12 ft. Which means I'm on the edge to get ceramic to work and definitely not stone. I can likely sister some 2xs alongside the joists to stiffener the floor which depending on the condition I may have to.

Old cast iron tub appears to be set on the subfloor not the wood floor. I'm likely removing this and going to lay the plywood underneath and reset the tub on top. and but the new tile directly up to the tub. Its one of the fun tubs with a curved edge so go me and cutting curved tile.

I'm completely gutting the bathroom to the studs to insulate the exterior walls and reset the tub and have the plumber move the toilet and sink.

My Planned Products as of now:
Heated floor per Wifes request
Basketweave tile likely the 1x2 with a border that mates up to the wall
Walls to be subway 3x6 tiles

My questions are as follows:

Im trying to match the existing 3/4in subfloor and 3/4in maple wood floor at the door to the hall. Current floor is about 1" out of level exterior to interior wall. Any reasonable ways to level out the floor so I wont have a significant lip at the door? I could adjust the sistered joists to do this, but worried about the increase in height at the door. I suppose i could try to rip down the top of the joists on the on end to reduce the slope as well? A minor lip wouldn't be a big issue just trying to avoid a 1in lip.

Since the ditra does not allow under 2" tile i'm anticipating my basketweave tile will be 1x2 with a smaller tile as well for the center of the weave. I'm looking at alternate products Nobleseal looks like it may work and I can attach direct to the ply. Can I use heated floors over this?

Do I need to waterproof the walls? Could I roll the nobleseal up the wall and attach to my drywall?

I'm open to suggestions - let me know where I'm going wrong. Much appreciated.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Barry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
there are 2x8 doug fir at ~16in o.c. spanning in the range of 12 ft.
You don't wanna guess at that, you wanna measure. If your joists are nominal 2x8s, they likely need help. If they are a full 8 inches deep and actually only spanning 12 feet, you should be OK.

You understand you must remove the hardwood flooring, right?

You understand you must install a minimum of nominal 1/2" exterior glue plywood, with no face of grade lower than C, over the sawn board subflooring everywhere you want to install tile, not just under the tub, right?

And that requirement presumes your board subfloor to be T&G and oriented perpendicular to the joists, which you do not have. I generally recommend you use nominal 5/8ths" plywood in your situation.

You understand that your tile doesn't care a whit whether your floor is level, right? If you want it level, that's a different story. The best way to achieve that would be to remove the existing subfloor and sister new, level joists to the existing.

You could then install a new subfloor of at least nominal 3/4" plywood and a tiling substrate of your choice. The NobleSeal would work, as would a CBU.

Not sure why you'd want to waterproof the bathroom walls except the wet area of the shower if there is one associated with that tub.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #3
Balbertmn

Thanks for the reply CX.

Agreed on the assuming things. I double checked the joist behind the tub access panel and looks like we are 2x10s 9.25deep and 1.75wide.

As for ripping up the floor - yes the wood floor is coming up. I am going to redo the whole subfloor including removal of the diagonal flooring so the plumber can get free reign of everything he might need.

I was thinking 3/4 sturdi floor with C or better as you noted on below. Yes on the direction perpendicular to joists.

Agreed on the tile doesn't care but I'm concerned with trying to make the wall subway tile look right from one end of the 8ft long room to the other if there is a 1in slope on the floor.

As for the waterproofing I should have been more clear do I roll the edges up the wall say 6 inches to create a pan so to say or just stop it at the wall?
Old 07-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Again, I question the reasoning for trying to create a waterproof pan on the bathroom floor, Barry. If you actually want to do that, you'll need to create some sort of barrier at the entry door as well as rolling your membrane up the face of the tub.

If you're not prepared to do that sort of thing, I'd see no advantage to extending the membrane up any of the walls unless you just like the idea for some other reason.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
Balbertmn

More just a question of if it was good practice. With the kiddos they seem to think that it is fun to splash water everywhere granted it wont see the amount of water that the floor right infront of the tub or the tub/shower walls will so likely isn't need.

So I'll just cut it at the wall edges and call it good.

Question on the CBU vs nobleseal. I was thinking nobleseal or a thin membrane so i don't eat up my floor difference too quickly as now i'm thinking 3/4" with 1/2" on top of that for the subfloor. On top of that will the nobleseal and the heated mat embeded. And finally the tile set ontop. Is there an advantage of CBU? Cheaper i'm guessing and more readily available at the big box stores?

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

CBU is there to give you a tileable surface. Nothing more.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:43 AM   #7
Balbertmn

Thanks for the reply. After talking with the local tile shop they have a product called warmup that can do heated cable set into the mat similar to the ditra heat. The tile shop called and the support people told him they are able to put thr smaller mosaics on it without issue. I thought I would pass it along as it might be able to solve some issues for people.

Anyone used the product before? If so did you put down the insulation? Seems like it will add unnecessary height for the insulation gain which I'm more concerned about the height.

https://www.warmup.com/underfloor-he...oupling-system

Im going to get it in writing but I think I'm going to go with 3/4in ply with 1/2in ply and the warmup on top of that with the heat cable finishing it off with my basketweave. Any issues with that thought process?

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-04-2018, 11:44 PM   #8
Balbertmn

Hi All,

After working through things a bit further i've completed the demo, have plumbing roughed in, and have just finished up hanging the sheetrock. Ended up replacing the old cast iron tub.

Planning on something very close to the following:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/542050505147300357/

3x6 subway tile and 12x12 basketweave sheets

Question related to a Tile Snapper: Are the Rubi snap tile cutters available at Home Depot any good? 24" Star Max?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubi-24-...2903/203352155

I have access to a wet tile saw from a friend, but want to use the snap cutter for the 3x6 as i believe it will be faster than cutting the tiles on the wet saw. For the Marble floor tile i will use the wet saw.

Thanks!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase