Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #16
cjcoombes

A follow up and thanks.

Just taking a moment to return to this thread and offer my thanks and a follow up on using the Ardex Flexbone UI 720 floating membrane. I have installed two floors covering about 500 sq feet. In spite of my nerves, it went well. I'm not sure if I will ever get past the hollow sound of the floor, but so far it appears to be stable. I will say that that mortar usage was about twice the standard chart specs. I was installing a complicated design in both cases, and a substantial amount of small tiles, below the suggested size of 8x8. I did weigh down some areas that used 4x4 to keep them flat until cured. So far no issues. The membrane will always lift if you pull the trowel up. There is no adhesive between the membrane and the floor. A little unsettling, but you get used to it and watch the trowel lift. If the tiles remain in place in my residential application, I will be very happy because I know that this floor can be removed easily in the future. Again thanks to all.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2018, 03:26 PM   #17
workhurts

What's the difference between tiling over sealed concrete vs tiling over something like Redgard or hydroban or pretty much any paint on waterproofer?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #18
cx
Da Home Builder

The difference, Ali, is that thiset mortars will adhere quite well to the membranes you mention, based upon required testing of those products.

Thinset mortar will not generally adhere to a sealed concrete surface well, if at all.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase