Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 02-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
bathroomremodeler

Kerdi Shower - How many hours?

I would greatly appreciate any input you may have. Specifically, I'm trying to compare how many hours it takes you to complete a kerdi shower VS how long it takes me (and my employees).

For this example, let's suppose that this is a 3 by 4 foot shower. Using a mud floor with Kerdi over it and Kerdi on the walls. Height of the tile on walls is 7 feet. Do not include shower door or glass enclosure installation time. Tile on walls and floor. Include demo of existing shower. No helper. Does include replacing faucet.

I can't get faster than 32 hours (actual work time). I'm not sure if it is my old bones and gray hair or what. It could be my process plan (of which steps I do in what order).

Just curious if I'm slow or really slow.

Thanks for any input,
Inspector and IAQ Inspector
www.deanlovvorn.com

Last edited by bathroomremodeler; 02-23-2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: added faucet
bathroomremodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Dean, my guess is that it's probably a "wash." There IS a slight learning curve to Kerdi, but it ain't brain surgery. Assuming you have plumb and square studs, you don't need to mud the enclosure. There is no vapor barrier to hang on the studs. Standard drywall is lighter, cheaper and easier to hang than Durock. Since Kerdi is hydroscopic, the pre-slope is eliminated. Schluter offers a pre-formed Curb and also a pan, if you like. The drain is far superior to a standard PVC FHA drain and much easier to fit the tile to....and looks MUCH better. UNmodified thinset is less $....try to get Ditra-Set if you can. Finally, the shower is totally water PROOF! You can hang a great warranty on the job without call-backs. Assuming you buy the entire kit, including curb and pan, expect to pay upper or mid $300 range for everything.

Schluter offers free seminars that are WELL worth inquiring about. Call your Schluter Rep to sign up. All you pay is your transportation. They put you up in a great hotel, feed you royally, and you'll learn a lot. A whole passel of us here from JB Forums attended one in SC last year and I don't think any of us regretted it. If you want to read about it, complete with pics, search for the thread, "The Schluterization of TYW."

It's new, cutting edge stuff and you can probably end up doing one faster, with more profit than a conventional shower stall.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Dean, here's the link to the thread. At 30 pages, quite an journey....but there are some good Kerdi pics in there....and you get to see how crazy we actually are.......

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...chluterization

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase