Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-30-2018, 10:07 PM   #61
Kman

What color grout are you planning to use?

Epoxy is great, but not if you're grouting with white.

Urethane is a good choice also.

Tec Power Grout has had it's issues. I've not experienced a single one after using maybe a dozen bags of it, but others have. I think there's a thread here somewhere.

Since it's a shower, I would lean toward the epoxy so that you don't have to seal it.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:57 PM   #62
JMG
Jason

Thanks Kevin. We are going with a grey grout, either delorean gray or light pewter.

Home Depot of course has Fusion Pro. Lowes has mapei products.

I was considering Keracolor with grout maximizer to gain a little more stain resistance
Old 03-31-2018, 08:04 PM   #63
Kman

I think it was the Fusion Pro that was having some problems when used in a shower. Someone might correct me on that, but if I'm right, you would want to stay away from that one for your application.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:45 PM   #64
JMG
Jason

Thanks Kevin. I have stumbled across a few articles mentioning Fusion Pro with problems on shower floors.

I have experience with standard conventional grouts, but I am interested in some of the advanced products that might keep my future maintenance to a minimum.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #65
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Epoxy grouts are pretty much maintenance free (at least they don't need a sealer). Some of the acrylic based ones are pretty maintenance free, too. Neither one absorbs moisture and both offer some interesting features (glow in the dark! or glitter, etc.).
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:46 PM   #66
JMG
Jason

joining two pieces of marble for shower curb

Finally getting ready to finish my shower project. I have two pieces of marble that will need to be cut to create a shower curb cap (2-42" pieces to join to fill a 60" curb).

What would be the recommended way to seam these? Set them in place with 100% silicone between the middle joint/seam? Epoxy?

They are going over a prefab schluter curb wrapped with kerdi and adhered with thinset.

My thought was to leave a 1/16" space between the 2 pieces and silicone the joint.

Thoughts?
Old 05-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #67
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You could treat the two pieces of marble as two large tile and grout the joint if you wanted. Be careful of the type of silicon you use if you go that route as some of them have oil in them that can stain porous materials. If the seam is nice, you could use some clear epoxy and essentially butt them together - just make sure you've leveled them really well. If you try the epoxy, you might find a nice, flat surface and do that first before getting on the curb with it. You don't want a ridge there. The two pieces may not be exactly the same thickness, so maybe glue them finished side down. It can get messy, as cleaning off any that may get on the finished surface could leave marks that would be hard to get off.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #68
JMG
Jason

Thanks again for your advice Jim, I appreciate it. Im thinking the epoxy route is the way to go. I will give it a shot.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #69
JMG
Jason

Hey Jim, one last question. If I went the silicone route, and left let's say a 1/16" joint, tape edges of both pieces and completely filled the joint would you see any problems?

Any recommendations on 100% clear silicone that might not cause problems? Im used to using GE silicones.

I could go epoxy, looks like I can get a clear JB weld fast set pretty easy

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase