Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
ckrezler

Kerdi-shower-st (tray)

We are removing a bathtub & replacing it with a walk in shower. We are considering using the Kerdi-shower tray that is 32x60 with center drain. The tub is 32x60. Space is limited so the new shower curb will be part of the 32 in. Therefore the actual shower will be 28x60. If the Kerdi tray is 32x60, do we have to cut it evenly on both edges or can we build the curb & half wall directly on the Kerdi shower tray?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Lump
Tile sales/installation central WI

Greg plan on cutting the tray equally on both sides.

And welcome!

Success is a ladder that cannot be climbed with your hands in your pocket.

NTCA Proud Member
ICRI certified moisture technician
Lump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

A couple of things...you don't have to use either the tray or the curb...you can pick and choose. To keep things narrow, I'd not use their curb and either build a narrower one out of bricks/pavers, or pick a different foam one (you could even use Kerdiboard). You could also just make the pan out of deck mud with 2x4's, topped with drywall or cbu then the Kerdi for the curb. You can mount the door (assuming you're using a door and not a curtain) towards the outer edge of the curb to make it bigger up top where your shoulders would be...28" is fairly narrow, 32+a few on the curb is better, but you may not have the room.

Cutting the tray on just the sides would mean the perimeter height won't be exactly the same all around, but at 1/6th of 1/4" or so, you'd probably never notice it!
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
ckrezler

Kerdi tray

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like you can't build the wall or curb on top of the Kerdi tray. If I trim both sides do I have to also trim the other 2 sides? I think I read somewhere that all 4 sides have to be cut equally. As for the curb- I'd like to make the curb narrower but I will be building a half wall (4ft high) with glass blocks on top of that almost to the ceiling. The wall will be 3 ft wide leaving only 2 ft actual curb & shower entry. Right now we don't plan to have a door. I know this is small but the bathroom is long and narrow.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

As I said, you don't have to cut all four sides, but if you do, you should be able to maintain a consistent height perimeter...now, since you're not cutting much off, the difference isn't much, and you may not notice. From a functional viewpoint, the pan won't care and will drain fine. It becomes much more of an issue if you say cut a foot off each end, which would be a full 1/4" or so...with only cutting 2" off, the difference won't be much.

Make sure you maintain the required minimum opening into the shower...I think that's 24". Having less will get a rejection from the inspector and a tear out, redo.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
josephlewis

I hav used a 32 x 60 schluter pan and cut off ~ 1 inch from all 4 sides. Tiled with 4x4 travertine and it turned out fine. The bottom course was maybe 1/4 inch different in height along the bottom. Other than taking more time to tile, it was a non issue.

Round Rock, TX
josephlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Joseph,

If you cut about 1" off from all four sides of your pan and you're 1/4" off in height, then something has gone off kilter. Hmmmmm.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:21 AM   #8
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Greg.

You might wanna check with your local code compliance inspector before you build a 28" shower.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Most building codes require a shower to be at least 900 sqin, which would work out to 30x30. I do not know if they'd approve one that had one dimension smaller than that.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
jim_c
doitmyselfer

Greg,
You can easily make the tray work.
I just installed a 48 x 48 tray but I cut down the sides and extended the ends. It is going to be perfect.
I also cut down the curb and turned it on its side.
It cuts beautifully on a table saw.
There are certain guidelines you need to follow but it can done.
I would say the most important consideration is getting your new drain in the right place and installing it correctly.
Jim
Old 03-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
josephlewis

It was the model with the offset drain. So it dipped down more on the drain end than the other sides because the slope is steeper. Could have been 3/16 inch delta, I don't have perfect memory.

Round Rock, TX
josephlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
ckrezler

Kerdi tray

Thanks for replies. We have decided to keep the tray 32x60 giving us a roomier shower. Because the commode is so close to the wider shower we have decided to turn the commode 90 degrees so we will have more space. Currently the commode faces the shower entry with only 12 inches between commode & shower curb.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Sounds like a plan...I ended up doing something similar when I added a shower to my mother's house. Keep in mind that codes require a 30" space - 15"OC to the sides for the toilet in its new location. From a functional viewpoint, you'd want more than 12" in front, too.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase