Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-30-2019, 08:07 PM   #151
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would cover A and B with the CBU. Doing it your way would give you sheetrock down on the 1 1/2-2" leg heading down toward the floor. Even though it's officially outside the wet area, I would rather the leg have cement board and not sheetrock.

Tape and thinset that transition before tiling then later you can skim coat over the thinset with compound mud outside the tile area.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2019, 07:24 AM   #152
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
You probably said in a previous post, John, but what's above the dropped ceiling?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2019, 07:46 PM   #153
JWOrl

Thanks Davy, good point.

Dan, I don't know what that soffit is covering.
Unread 12-02-2019, 07:21 AM   #154
ss3964spd

There's usually a reason someone does a drop ceiling like that, John, it's probably hiding something above; duct work, plumbing, electrical. But, given the lack of head room, and the tiling challenge it presents on the side wall, IMO, I'd be looking into what's up there to see if there's an opportunity to remove/reconfigure all or part of it before any wall board goes up.
Unread 12-02-2019, 08:28 AM   #155
JWOrl

OK thanks Dan...I'll cut out a small area of the soffit to see if I can find out what's behind there....

Last edited by JWOrl; 12-02-2019 at 08:37 AM.
JWOrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #156
ss3964spd

Just my opinion, John, I'm always looks for ways to make my job(s) more difficult, and more time and money consuming. So it's only logical I try to do that for others.

If you're ok with it as is then so am I.
Unread 12-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #157
JWOrl

I have a habit of doing that myself sometimes...
Unread 12-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #158
JWOrl

Hmm..I opened a small section of the rear wall to look inside, and then went in the attic...the soffit (drop ceiling) only has a lot of blown in insulation in it, and some electrical cords a couple of them pulled taut...there is a waste stack pipe but it would be behind the drywall or CBU anyway. The "box" you see in the photo is the soffit.

I'm assuming the electrical cords were the reason they put this soffit in....

So is it worth removing the soffit to get a taller and leveler ceiling or will I just be opening an expensive new can of worms if I attempt this?
Attached Images

Last edited by JWOrl; 12-02-2019 at 04:01 PM.
JWOrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2019, 05:47 PM   #159
ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
So is it worth removing the soffit to get a taller and leveler ceiling or will I just be opening an expensive new can of worms if I attempt this?
It will be a new can-o-worms, John, but not expensive - unless you need to hire out the possible electrical work. But even then, and from here, I only see a couple of junction boxes and some fairly short lengths of wire, so not too horrible. You'd need to grab a dust pan, and a dust mask, and shovel out that insulation to be sure.

No idea if it's worth it to you, but I'd be all over it to gain some height (and a greater feeling of openness), and it will solve some of your tile layout challenges.
Unread 12-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #160
JWOrl

Thanks Dan. I need to take another look at it when I'm back over there again...perhaps shoveling some of that insulation out first to get a better visual on what's actually going on there....I would be up for it if it would solve the tile layout issue.

The shower head is currently at the typical height (76 inches from the floor, I believe). I would prefer not having to extend it up higher because I don't have the crimping tool and would have to pay a plumber to do that....

Is replacing part of that bathroom ceiling (the part where the old soffit was) and making a smooth transition to the rest of the existing drywall ceiling a realistic project for someone who's never done that before?
Unread 12-02-2019, 09:36 PM   #161
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

That depends on how much Mrs John wants the project completed.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #162
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Soffits were put in to hold heat in the shower and because of the design at the time. The electric or plumbing within them is done out of shear expediency on the part of trades.

If you don’t mind loosing some heat to a taller ceiling or you like the look of the taller ceiling, go for it. If you do raise the ceiling, the drywall patch transition can be a bit tough to hide if you’ve got light being cast over the seam at a shallow angle.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2019, 07:06 AM   #163
JWOrl

Thanks. The house is in Florida so losing heat is not a huge issue most of the year.
Unread 12-03-2019, 07:15 AM   #164
JWOrl

"If you do raise the ceiling, the drywall patch transition can be a bit tough to hide if you’ve got light being cast over the seam at a shallow angle."

Would you do a skim coat over the entire bathroom ceiling to try to make it disappear?
Unread 12-03-2019, 07:25 AM   #165
ss3964spd

One of the layout challenges that caught my eye was at the top left. If you end the wall tile at the end of the soffit - which would be the natural place to end it, and you continue that line straight down, it appears you're going to end up with a pretty skinny "leg" next to the tub apron. The situation is likely similar on the opposite side.

Eliminating the soffit will allow you run the tile a little longer making those legs easier to deal with.

But the biggest benefit, IMO, is that eliminating the soffit will make the shower feel larger, as well as the rest of the bathroom, and the whole space more "different" than it was before. If the shower head is already at the standard height there's no reason to raise it unless you simply want to.

This is just me being an armchair designer, John. I love changing things that I think make a big impact for relatively few bucks.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase