Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 06-26-2019, 06:59 AM   #1
Temba

Looking for a Sealer

Hi I'm look for recommendations for a shower floor sealer.

I have put flat cut stones on a shower floor and used Mapi Ultracolor Plus FA grout. I have had lots of time for curing.

In the past I have used Miracle 511 Porus Plus but I'm wondering if anyone would recommend a different / better product?

Thanks very much.

James
Old 06-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome back, James.

There are those who would recommend you not put any kind of sealer on a shower floor. I would be one of those.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
fhueston

I would not use a sealer. If you like I can send you an article I did on why not Just shoot me an email to fhueston@gmail.com
Old 06-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

How 'bout you post a link to your article here, Fred, so more folks can have access?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Another vote for no sealer.

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:45 AM   #6
McKillipZ
McKillipZ

Try Stonetech products

STONETECH® surface care products are reliable, high performing, thoroughly tested by a name you know and trust.
McKillipZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
fhueston

article on why not to seal shower floors

Here ya go

Stone Impregnating Sealers are not Bullet Proof
By Frederick M. Hueston
I receive several calls a week with questions on the use of impregnating type sealers for use on outdoor stone as well as interior wet areas such as showers, water fountains etc. The question is simple: Should I seal my stone in these conditions. The following article will provide a reason why stone in wet areas should not be sealed.

Before we discuss the reason why we shouldn’t seal stone in these conditions a few definitions are necessary
Impregnators or penetrating sealers: Impregnators are designed to penetrate below the surface of the stone and deposit solid particles in the pores of the stone or to coat the individual minerals below the surface of the stone. Water, oil and dirt are restricted from entering the stone. Impregnators can be solvent, or water based. Most impregnators are vapor permeable.
Vapor Permeable: breathability, vapor permeability describes a stones ability to allow water vapor to pass through it.

The case for not sealing stone in wet environments
When stone is exposed to unregulated humidity and temperature fluctuations, like it would in an outdoor environment or in a shower the air contains vapor in what we know as humidity. Temperature along with humidity can result in condensation as well.
Most of the impregnators on the market today our breathable. This simple means that the stone will be protected from water entering the pores of the stone in liquid form but will allow water vapor to pass.
In wet environments vapor can be present for several reason, rain, high humidity, temperature fluctuations, steam etc. Since these impregnators are breathable this vapor can easily penetrate into the stone. One would think that this is a positive. The fact is that once the vapor enters the stone it can condense and become a liquid. Since impregnators protect against water in its liquid phase it becomes trapped within the stones pores and will not escape until it evaporates or in other words turns into a vapor. Once this water becomes trapped it can result in all kinds of problems. Stones with iron content can begin to oxidize, natural salts with in the stone can become dissolved and cause pitting and spalling. Aesthetically the stone will appear darker since it is constantly wet.
This problem is becoming more of an issue with the increase of stone being used in showers and exterior environments. There are currently several people doing experiments demonstrate that sealer in wet environments can cause these issues. I strongly believe that care should be taken when sealing stone in these wet environments.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase