Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 01-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #31
MarkTarkus
Mark Christensen, Tile contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
I'm with you, Levi. I don't know the first thing about the behind the scenes stuff with my site and would love to know how I can improve....in fact....I am in desperate need of an updating and would love to hire it out but just don't know how to go about hiring someone. My guy is very limited.

Any takers on a full website remodel?
Ditto.

The girl who made my site years ago is long gone and I don't know how to do anything with it. It's outdated and needs a facelift.
MarkTarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #32
mctile
Fort Collins, CO. Tile Contractor

The more I think about it the more I think that this would be a perfect place to solicit a web designer for a tile contractor website. Lots of computer savy people here...

Fort Collins Colorado Tile Installation
mctile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #33
madronatile
Tile Contractor -- Seattle, WA.

Thanks for this thread!!!!

I added words and such but still can't make meself appear in google. Do the changes take awhile?

www.madronatile.com
madronatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #34
bbcamp

Yes, Googlebots are everywhere, but not at all times. Besides, there are a lot of factors besides the header. As John pointed out, you should be sharing links with as many other sites as you can, for example.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #35
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Quote:
posted by Matthew:
The more I think about it the more I think that this would be a perfect place to solicit a web designer for a tile contractor website. Lots of computer savy people here...
I will disagree with you Matthew. I would go with someone local because you can have access to them easier but make sure they know your needs and how to optimize your site. Now you all are learning what SEO is so you are armed and dangerous to question the person how it will be done.

I think this discussion is much needed. Yes Brian and Chad are using SEO, it is the rest of us that are not. Well I am sure some a you are. Of course it isn't our fault if the web designer does not incorporate it. You are learning here what has to be added. You don't need a new web person but that person does need to add these things to the source code.

We are all here working together and John saw the need for this. The more we all work together, help each other on websites, link together the more we all stand to gain. Of course I can just here it now, "I don't need anyone's help." The more you link sites together the more you stand to gain.

I do. So if we can make a community list to sign up on I will add anyone's website who will add me. I am just not sure where it gets added but I want to start building a list for when my webguy gets back into town.

Gueuze yes, if you got 100,000 hits on your youtube video then you are either very good at this stuff or your just very entertaining in the way you come across, or maybe both

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #36
Levi the Tile Guy
Tile and Stone Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
I am at the top when I search for tile contractor or installer Grand Junction, CO.
Well I lied. Google is now doing some personalized junk when I search for stuff. So when I search my name comes up at the top, but when I choose to hide my personal stuff it is on the second page.

Grand Junction, Colorado Tile and Stone installation

Levi the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #37
mctile

Maybe your right, Jon. And as Brian would say, this Fort Collins Tile Contractor that enjoys floors, showers & remodeling may have to look local for a web designer in order to update my site to showcase my tile installations and bathroom remodels .

Unread 01-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #38
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

you pretty much nailed it there Matthew.

Matt, just because you have a site doesn't make the Bots come to it and make you show up on the top pages. You need to think of your website like a bird feeder (but the Bots are birds). You need to keep filling the bird feeder with content (bird food) to make them want to come. I like to spread it all over the place so more birds come.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa Installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan Board
......Tampa Installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdi-Board
..................."Tampa Waterproofed Tile Showers"
..............Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile

Last edited by ceramictec; 01-12-2012 at 08:19 AM.
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #39
mctile

I'm with you, Brian. I actually have my little tricks for getting my name out there along with a very long list of domain names attached to my site. You cannot look in any of the search engines for a tile installer in Fort Collins and not come across McHugh Tile & Stone (look! I did it again!). I just never really thought of tagging my posts. Great idea....I'm on board.

Unread 01-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #40
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Wow, this thread got busy since last evening. That's good.

As to coming up on search engines, it takes time for new sites. For our site it takes a day or less. I just typed :tile shower grand junction" into Google. Didn't come up with Levi, but I came up with Page 2 of this thread. Give it a try. Google bots visit this site every day, and some of them spend the night. At any given time you'll find bots belonging to someone.

Levi, you've probably added a bit too much to your title. Try to condense it saving just the key words that people my type in when they're looking for you. No personal stuff in the title tag line. You can put that stuff in the front of your page. Instead of just tile or tile contractor, try tile shower, tile floors, etc., Do put in Grand Junction.

You'll have a better opportunity to list other attribute when we get to the description tag. You can see what you've got indexed in Google by typing in

site:johnbridge.com Use your own site url, of course.

When I tried site:hamiltontileandstone I got nothing. Don't know what's up with that.

Here's a new lesson:

What you put in your title tag appears at the very top of some browser windows when people are viewing your site. Sometimes it might appear in Google search results.

What you put in your description tag line often comes up as the first line of a Google result, so you have some control over what Google serves up.

Let's remind ourselves that what is in the head is not the same as what you have on the front of your page. The first paragraph of your text on the front should include as many keywords and key phrases as possible. Also, though, your text has to flow and make sense. If you just shove in a bunch of keywords you can be penalized.

The bots are programmed to "think" like humans, who read a page from the top down. So the bots place more value on what's up top on your page than what's at the bottom. They "know" that most people on the Internet might not read the entire page. All of your text, by the way, is in the body or your html code source unless your site is made up of style sheets (which will be explained much later).

Finally, the title and description tags can (and should) be different for every page of your site. Your "about" page, for example, can be completely different from your home page -- just as the front of every page is different. So there are many opportunities in the source "head" to get your information across.

If I missed something, please ask again. I'll be checking in and out today.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #41
John Bridge
Mudmeister

I just looked at Brian's page: http://ceramictec.com/ and thought of something. Some script/code writers will have lines that go on forever. If you see a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of your source page, use it.

Also, I noticed that Brian's description tag info is corrupt. There are some characters that were used that don't do well in html. And the text pretty much duplicates what's in the title tag, which to me is a waste. I don't know, though. Brian seems to do pretty well with his site.

There is always room for improvement, though. I spend many hours going through my own site finding little details that can be done better.
Unread 01-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #42
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Another thing I missed earlier:

It doesn't matter where your web person is. In cyberspace we are all only a click away. Shifty, for example, is in California, I'm in Texas, and DaveM, our systems engineer and head geek, is in Michigan.

Shifty (oakview) would be a good guy to hire to build your site or to clean up what you have now. He's not expensive for what he does, and he knows about SEO.

On the other hand, you can probably learn to keep your site updated yourself if you have the time.
Unread 01-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #43
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

JB can you take a look at my page source and let me know if I put too many words into the title line?

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #44
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
I know when my web designer gets back into town he already has an email waiting about all this. Again maybe he just hasn't gotten to it but he did sign me up for google analytics but then I couldn't get signed into it and he never said if it was gettin any traffic. I didn't need to really know that because it wasn't coming up locally.

If he is not in tuned to this I would like Oakview to help. Most definitely. For him to access the server it is on I am assuming he will have to get that info from web designer?

Brian....... corrupt? Nah..... oh description tag info... amazing how I know what that is now

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #45
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

I didn't expect the thread to get so busy!

Todd, iWeb is just fine for websites. The meat of a website is in the contents, not the platform it was built on. Some of my highest traffic sites were built on iWeb.

My only gripe with it is that it doesn't handle SEO well because it wasn't designed to run a business on and it wasn't designed well for people to find it who aren't looking it specifically. If you google "SEO tools iWeb", you'll get a bunch of free tools that are really easy to implement.

JB is pretty dead on with what he's saying. SEO is a game and google is constantly change the way it's being played. People used to cheat search engines all the time so it has become a cat and mouse game.

One thing everyone should look into is Meta information (a google search will yield some important information).

For instance, if you google the MK-TX3, we show up first for that product but the title google has and the title on our page are completely different because I'm telling google what I want it to see.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...UTF-8&q=mk+tx3

http://www.stonetooling.com/MK-TX-3-...p/80.26400.htm

If you look at our source code by right clicking our homepage and look at all of the Meta information in there, it will list the products and manufacturers we carry.

There was a point where people would through in popular, unrelated, words like "batman" or "republican primary" and google is starting to blacklist those that are banking off unrelated search terms.

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase