Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 08-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
madronatile
Tile Contractor -- Seattle, WA.

Drain removal

I need to remove a floor drain from a slab. The drain pipe is galvanized 2" I believe. It drops deep (16"?) into the dirt before the p-trap, then takes a funky turn and quickly ties into a bigger line- no good place to cut except on the vertical between the trap and the drain.

The question is how to cut that out? Do I need to buy/rent one of those articulating sawzalls? Do they work well enough? To get at it with my regular sawzall or a hacksaw would require removing more concrete than I'd care to, it's pretty thick.

Thanks!

www.madronatile.com
madronatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

I use one of these for ABS drain pipes. http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHAQ8wIwAA Maybe a dremel with a cutoff blade would work the same? The cut is made from inside the pipe.You will still need to couple it, so you will need to jackhammer around the drain for access. Why not wash your hands and get a plumber to do it?

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:23 AM   #3
tilejoe

Call your plumber. I would bet that you can charge for the plumber plus a little and be ahead of the game. You don't know what other nastiness you're gonna find.

Infinite Ceramic & Stone
www.infiniteceramic.com
NTCA Pennsylvania State Rep
CTEF Certified Installer #769
tilejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

More sekret plumbing skool tips;

1- Use a chipping hammer to make a gap around the offending pipe.

2- Use a very thin metal cutting blade to cut - start at the top of the pipe with the sawzall held at a very sharp angle. The idea is to get to the point where you can rotate the sawzall to cut the pipe from the inside. When finished, the galvanized pipe will have peaked sides facing uphill towards the center.

3- Grind the peaked metal down if you desire.

4- If you want, before cutting, drill a hole through the pipe at the same angle, then poke the blade through before cutting. That may save some time.

5- As always, block the pipe so nuttin falls down.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

If its galvanized, and its been in the ground any length of time, be prepared for it to snap off/crumble/etc.. at the most inconvenient place you can think off. I've started off in situations similar to yours, and by the time I'm done i've had to replace several feet of horizontal drain before I got to a place solid enough to hook up to.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
JC

So what happens after you get the pipe cut..how do you connect it to plastic? Im pretty sure (not positive) that you can't use regular fernco under ground. However if I am not mistaken they make shielded ferncos that can be used underground...probably want to check the code on that.

If it is feasible for you probably the best thing to do is rent (if you don't have one) a concrete cutter..wet or dry..if you use the dry use a hose with it..cut the concrete out and jackhammer/bushhammer the rest out. Reason is this way you can get to the whole trap..if it is old galvanised there is a good chance it is filled with rust...also certian older traps are not allowed now..like drum traps..

It would be wise to replace the whole trap to plastic and inspect the pipe before you bury it under an expensive new shower.

Also you will have more flexibilty with drain placement to center the drain.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase