Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-26-2020, 11:19 AM   #1
HomieTheClown

Shower Curb/Ledge Help

Morning,

I am doing my full shower/shower pan install. I've done a few bathrooms before but never a shower. I'm over whelmed a little bit but like I anything I will take one step at a time. Here's my scenario and my question.

Bathroom Size: 5' x 8'
Concrete floor.

I've gone back in forth on the curb on whether to use wood with roof felt underneath or bricks. The bricks idea sounds difficult since I'm not used to working with mortar anyways. My main concern is the raised ledge that I want to do. Check out the pic. I don't simply want a flat curb all the way across. I want the left side to be raised another 9" (or whatever) above the first part of the curb. Hopefully the pic will make sense. I haven't seen any videos on how to do this. All the videos have ledges that are the same height all the way across. My second picture explains what I'm going for.

If anyone can provide video or pic links on how exactly to do this, I would appreciate it a lot! My biggest concern in how to handle the pvc liner when going over the high part of the ledge not to mention the cutting involved to wrap it around the ledge while waterproofing it?

I won't be stating this project until I get a good game plan going. Hope this made sense. Thanks guys. CX and the crew have always been super helpful!
Attached Images

Unread 02-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #2
Kman

Welcome back, John.

I'd frame the raised part with regular lumber, and build the curb with concrete or a foam curb. Then I'd use a surface-applied waterproofing membrane throughout the entire shower.

You'll want to slope the horizontal surfaces to shed water.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
HomieTheClown

Thanks Kevin,

What about the PVC liner? Would you wrap it all the way up over the high ledge or just 6 inches above the lower ledge like you would in the back of the shower wall?
Unread 02-27-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
Kman

If you use a surface-applied membrane throughout the entire shower, there's no need for a PVC liner.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #5
HomieTheClown

Hey Kev,

I decided to go with a pvc liner for the shower pan area up to 4-6 inches above the curb. I recently learned that most people don't feel Hardiebacker is a good cement board for a full on shower pan because of the wicking of water from pan up through the Hardie. I've looked a little at Wonderboard (lite?), durock, and Kerdi. So there's Kerdi board and Kerdi foam. The foam is really expensive.

I just want to get an expert's opinion on which one to get and how to install on wall. After the final mud layer is installed and the shower floor tile/thinset is dried; how exactly is the wall cement (or whatever boards) attached in regards to height above the tile. Also is there bead of silicone between the floor and wall?

It's hard to understand which Cement board is better. They all seem the same. For the record I planned on using Redguard or Aqua Defense to the water membrane protection. The Kerdi foam seemed like a nice idea but it's 4x as much!
Unread 02-28-2020, 05:43 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
So there's Kerdi board and Kerdi foam.
John, Kerdi-Board is a foam product.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

John, check out the 'shower construction info" thread in the Liberry. The Liberry can be found in the dark blue bar above.

I'd frame the whole thing out of wood. We rebuilt this one because it was poorly waterproofed.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2020, 09:23 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If you're going to go with a pvc liner, Kerdi is probably not in your future. There'd not be a good way to tie the surface waterproofing into a submerged liner.

If you're going to use Kerdi in the install, you should do it everywhere, which may mean a new drain.

Look up monument bench. That's built out of masonry materials so not affected by moisture, and it's entirely inside the waterproofed pan assembly. There are some foam benches as well. Closed cell foam doesn't absorb moisture and the denser foams are a fine base for tile.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase