Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-05-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
Joeydiyer80

New glass subway tile install corner pieces very dark

Just had my backsplash install using 3x12 glass subway tile. The color is pearl color. After it was completed I noticed in one corner that when small pieces of the tile shows up as dark color from afar and up close. I asked the installer about it and he said since they are small pieces with not much backing on it to give it the color so it's picking up the dark from the edge on the inside. Is this something that can easily fixed? I know I can just put something in that corner and it won't show, but I'd like it to be fixed if possible since we want it to the same all around.

The installer suggested that it "might" be fixed if we break it out of there all 3 pieces, cut new small pieces, and paint the cut edge. But even then he has doubts if it will be fixed. Since he used very small grount lines it makes it I guess more difficult.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Last edited by Joeydiyer80; 02-06-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Joeydiyer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

For me, I would think a careful cut with a wet saw would work.....at least, that's what I'd do.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

This has to do with the way light refracts inside glass tiles. because the cut edges are raw, the light is passing through. Use larger pieces (eliminate the skinnies)

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2020, 09:17 PM   #4
rmckee84

Like Paul said it has to do with shadowing. One solution is to paint the cut edges
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2020, 12:07 AM   #5
Joeydiyer80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
For me, I would think a careful cut with a wet saw would work.....at least, that's what I'd do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Remodeler
This has to do with the way light refracts inside glass tiles. because the cut edges are raw, the light is passing through. Use larger pieces (eliminate the skinnies)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmckee84
Like Paul said it has to do with shadowing. One solution is to paint the cut edges
So then this is something that can be fixed by my installer and I don't have to live with it? So do they have to remove those single pieces and also cut the full piece next to it by like 2-3" and then put in another 2-3" piece to the edge? And also color the last piece there that goes to the corner? What color do we need to paint it?
Unread 02-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #6
Fast eddie part deux

Im a little curious how you ended up with such smal pieces on the ends. Should have shifted the layout 1/2" to the left to avoid that problem.
Unread 02-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #7
Joeydiyer80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast eddie part deux
Im a little curious how you ended up with such smal pieces on the ends. Should have shifted the layout 1/2" to the left to avoid that problem.
So do you think this can be fixed by him? What would be the best option here to get it right? Should I pursue it and get it fixed or let it go?
Unread 02-07-2020, 06:46 AM   #8
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Shifting the layout to the left 1/2" would have helped that corner, but we can't see what dong so would have done to the right. Regardless, I think it unlikely you'll be able to have the whole thing done over.

As said above, Joey, those shorties need to come out, new slivers cut, their left edges painted with a white (nail polish has often be mentioned in this forum) paint, and then installed.

I think it could be argued that an experienced tile setter should have foreseen the problem during the install.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #9
Joeydiyer80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
Shifting the layout to the left 1/2" would have helped that corner, but we can't see what dong so would have done to the right. Regardless, I think it unlikely you'll be able to have the whole thing done over.

As said above, Joey, those shorties need to come out, new slivers cut, their left edges painted with a white (nail polish has often be mentioned in this forum) paint, and then installed.

I think it could be argued that an experienced tile setter should have foreseen the problem during the install.
Well this guy was on a recommended list of 5 tile installers referred to me by a well known tile place with locations in several states. He has been working with this tile distributor for over 17 years so I would think that experience should not have been an issue here.

Anyways, so the fix in this situation is just removing those single pieces only (and not any other tiles next to them), doing a recut of these, but painting them white on the edge that faces the corner correct? Is that the way it should be done? In your opinion, an easy fix that can be done by an experienced tile person?
Unread 02-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Joey.

Painting the cut edges would likely have been the fix when the install was done. Removing those little pieces and replacing them successfully without removing the adjacent tiles (probably all) is highly unlikely in my opinion.

But in any case, it should be the installer figuring out how to correct the problem.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2020, 03:50 PM   #11
Joeydiyer80

So pretty much it is just removing those pieces, cutting new pieces, painting edge and reinstall correct? When you mean adjacent tile you are talking about the full 3x12 piece next to it? Even if I need to replace each of those, I'd like it to be fixed since the more I look it is an eyesore when you have this nice tile backsplash the rest of the kitchen. Just looks out of place with that dark color at the corners. So using white nail polish might do the trick as long as the edge is painted so it does not pick up any light correct?

Last edited by cx; 02-07-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Joeydiyer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #12
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

One other thing to consider...tile industry standards call for ALL changes of plane or materials to have a movement accommodation joint...IOW, you cannot grout the corners. While you may not experience it, by making that joint a 'hard' one, as things expand and contract through the seasons, you're likely to see some grout and maybe tile cracking.

Filling that joint with a grout matched caulk might also solve the problem.

During the install, you could also use an engineered expansion joint, but that may or may not match up with your design goal. Many of those tend to hide the edges, and minimize the shading effect, but not all.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2020, 04:37 AM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

A Dremmel with a diamond grout bit should cut the grout out making it easier to remove the skinny tiles. If he takes it slow and easy, he should be able to get them out without much damage to surrounding tiles. This all depends on the installer. If he goes in like a bull in a china closet then he could do all kinds of damage.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2020, 01:35 PM   #14
Joeydiyer80

Tile guy came and worked on 1 of the pieces and it cracked the adjacent tile on the left side. Plus the drywall was removed with it. So we decided to work on this one and see if it will work. New piece cut, painted sides with white nail polish and after install no change whatsoever. So rather than risking other tiles breaking and seeing that there is no change I guess I will just live with it. Will just place a tall item in corner so it doesn't show.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase