Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-04-2020, 08:26 AM   #1
pruff

Thinset under cement board

Is it necessary to apply thinset under cement board before tiling ? I seem to be getting mixed views. Some say as long as you use enough screws, it's not necessary.
Thanks for any advise.
Unread 02-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #2
smifwal

Those "some" are incorrect. Yes you need to put thinset under backer board
Unread 02-04-2020, 08:34 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

What does the manufacturer of the cement board say, Kraul?

Unless "Some" are the manufacturers of the product, I would disregard any installation advice that is contradictory in almost all cases.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Yes, it's necessary.
Unread 02-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #5
Kman

My question to them would be, "How many is enough?"

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2020, 11:02 AM   #6
pruff

tile under or around toilet ?

We are getting ready to tile our new bathroom floor and are wondering it we should tile under the toilet or around it ?

Thanks,
Kraul
Unread 03-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #7
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Under it, if at all possible.

Is the toilet drain flange installed yet? If so, is it resting flat on the cement board, or is there space under it so that you can slip the tile under the lip of the flange?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

A correct installation would require that the floor be tiled, then the toilet drain flange be installed on top of the tile installation, then the toilet would be installed.

Since we don't know anything about the project, it's difficult to guess what you've currently got.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 03-15-2020, 12:04 PM   #9
JHarbinson
Residential Remodeling GC

The UPC and IRC require the toilet flange to be flush with the finished floor. Most flanges are approximately the thickness of tile so I typically run my backer under the flange, screw the flange down tight and then tile tight to the outer edges of the flange. Toilet will sit nice and tight and not rock.
Unread 03-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Justin, I believe you'll find that the proper location of the WC flange is on top of the finished flooring, not flush with it.

Like this:

Name:  Toilet Flange Seal Cutaway.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  21.2 KB

I'm thinking that's true even on the Left Coast, but one never knows about that, eh?

And since the OP hasn't returned since he posted that question more than a week ago, I'm hoping he's somehow figured it out.

Unread 03-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #11
smifwal

Flush will get you a leaky toilet, you might get lucky but...
Unread 03-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #12
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Yeah, "flush" will require a double wax ring...one being a ring with a rubber flange on the floor...and a standard one on the toilet horn. Alternatively, I think they make a BIG rubber seal that can be used. Ask me how I know...

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2020, 04:27 PM   #13
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Unfortunately, there are millions of toilet flanges that are installed directly onto the subflooring. It's a matter of cost and timing on building a new house. A lot of times, the rough-in plumbing inspection wants to see the toilet flange installed, and that's usually done prior to closing up the walls and the finished flooring. That doesn't make it right. If using something like a thin sheet goods, there's not a big functional difference. But, with the advent of tile and maybe heated floors that tend to be thicker, that extra height can be a problem.

Related to installing a toilet flange after tiling, you really need to set the toilet in place twice. Once to determine if and where you may need shims to keep the toilet from rocking. Arrange them so the toilet can sit without rocking (often works best to pin the front down, and add shims behind if possible to prevent rocking), pull it, add the wax and set the toilet back. ALso, don't use the bolts to compress the wax ring...push it down, then snug up the bolts...less chance of cracking the toilet, especially if the wax was just brought in from the cold. The typical wax seal can last literally centuries as noted from some wax sealed containers found when excavating things including from ancient Egypt...still works fine. But, it's not a spring, so if the toilet rocks, it will compress when it goes one way, the opens up if it goes the other way.

A stacked set of wax rings can be an issue if you need to plunge the toilet as you can actually blow out the seal. FWIW, the most effective plunging is to pull rather than rapid pushing. That allows what got wedged in there creating the seal to be pulled back, and often then allows it to go down the drain. Vigorous pushing jams it tighter together. It MIGHT push it through, but it often just jams it in tighter.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase