Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-27-2020, 06:10 AM   #31
vbtalent

I found a better pic..
Attached Images

Unread 01-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #32
cx
Moderator emeritus

If the tile installation we're discussing leads to that stairway, VB, you have a more serious floor height consideration. Or is this landing/stair transition a different area?

There are tile profiles made for that application. Google up Schluter Profiles and see if you can't find something applicable.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2020, 05:31 AM   #33
vbtalent

I think I've found a suitable transition on Schuler's web site...

I did want to ask about your plywood suggestion does it just need to be a specific type of external plywood? or will any external plywood work, I'm assuming this is related to its resistance to moister capabilities..

Thanks,
Unread 01-29-2020, 09:25 AM   #34
cx
Moderator emeritus

Your plywood must be an exterior glue plywood. That will be evidenced by an exposure rating of EXT or Exposure 1 on the grade stamp. And it must have no face of grade lower than C.

Your local home center will usually have a BC grade plywood that is suitable.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 01-29-2020, 06:31 PM   #35
vbtalent

Thank you.

You guys have been a great resource and it is much appreciated.

VB,
Unread 02-06-2020, 05:34 PM   #36
vbtalent

Materials question for LFT install...

I've got to ask the pro's what there thoughts are when it comes to thinset and grout for large format tiles.

Do you like the big box store products or should I go the big tile store route?

The plan is to use DITRA so I need a modified thinset for it and an unmodified for the tile 24x24 itself.

HD - offers VERSA Bond @$19 ea.
Floor and Decor - Mapei Ultraflex LFT White - $30 ea.
Lowes - MAPEI Large Tile and Stone - $30
Tile Shop - Superior Pro-Flex Latex Fortified - $25

Suggestions???

... and for grout???

Lot's of choices out there...

VB,
Unread 02-06-2020, 06:21 PM   #37
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've used tons of Versabond and Flexbond to stick down Ditra without any issues. I go against the rules on sticking the tiles. For large format tiles, I like using Custom's Natural stone and large tile thinset from Home Depot. I just give the tiles an extra day or two before grouting. I'm not using unmodified for porcelain tiles.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...-100154560-_-N

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2020, 07:23 PM   #38
smifwal

I wouldn't use anything from the tile shop to stick down tiles. I didn't see it on your list so maybe it is not available. If you can get your hands on Ardex X5. This my day to day mortar
Unread 02-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #39
cx
Moderator emeritus

VB, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

Unread 02-07-2020, 06:44 AM   #40
vbtalent

CX, I wasn't sure if it made sense to continue in the same thread since it was a different topic... thanks for moving it.

Davey, aren't all 3 of those modified thinset's? If you use Versa for the DITRA why change when laying the tile itself?

Smifwal, Ardex doesn't appear to be a big seller around me and they make it in 40 lbs. bags instead of 50lbs, pricing seems to be in line.

Why the large price difference between the products, is it the cement in them?

I was hoping to save some money on this job, $30 for a 50 lbs. bag seems high to me but I don't do this for a living and don't want to cheapen out the job by using the wrong material just to save a few pennies today and have to redo it later.

Certainly appreciate the insight guy's.
Unread 02-07-2020, 07:32 AM   #41
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I used VB for nearly all my material setting, VB; Hardie board to plywood, Ditra (heat) to the Hardie, and porcelain 12X24's to Ditra (a modified is recommended for setting porcelain). You could use regular VB, mixed a little loose, for installing the Ditra, and then VB LFT for the tile.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2020, 08:17 PM   #42
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

VB, I was talking about installing large format tiles. The regular Versabond or Flexbond under the Ditra and then the Stone and large tile thinset under the tiles. It will hold up the tiles better than regular Versabond. Or, like Dan said, Versabond has a LFT version now, it can be used under the large tiles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 02-07-2020, 11:12 PM   #43
smifwal

Same coverage with a 40# as 50#. I have used all the major manufacturers products. I feel like I get the best results with Ardex. Pot life and smooth creamy consistency is what I like the most.
Unread 02-08-2020, 11:55 AM   #44
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Some modified mortars need to dry in addition to curing. Drying doesn't happen very fast between DItra and a larger format porcelain tile. It could literally take months to dry. But, that generally only applies to some classes of modifiers - primarily those using latex. But, because Schluter doesn't or won't keep up with all of the various brands and their chemical composition, generically doesn't recommend a modified to use on top of their membranes except those that is makes itself or under contract. It IS needed to hold when bonding it to plywood, as an unmodified there would not likely survive long-term to bond with the plywood.

In some applications, it doesn't matter. For example, most cbu panels do not rely on the mortar to actually create the bond to the subflooring...the mortar is to fill any voids and hold the panel up...the fasteners hold it down.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #45
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, but at the same time, the porcelain manufacturers recommend modified thinset to bond their tiles. I want to make sure the tiles are bonded well so I use modified (have every time for years without an issue). The thinset will cure enough usually over night to allow me to grout. If it's cool and damp, I'll allow an extra day. It takes longer to cure completely but it will. At least I know the tiles are bonded well.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase