Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-29-2018, 05:49 PM   #31
Gozo

Yeah, just one more piece of tile to fit in the corner and then it’ll be grout time. Hope to get to it in the next few days, but usually by the time I get home after work, it’s either too dark to drag out the wet saw, or I just don’t have the interest.
The GFI on the fridge circuit is a moot point. Even if I do eventually put GFi on the 2 backsplash circuits, the fridge is on a different circuit which isn’t GFI’d, so even if it would need to be, it’s on a legacy outlet and would fall under code grandfathered rules.
I’ve been constructing and tiling one room or another for the last 2 years and am looking forward to kicking back and just enjoying the fruits of my labor. I gave myself a deadline of December 31. If it’s not done by then, it ain’t gettin’ done.
Unread 11-03-2018, 07:14 AM   #32
Gozo

Pretty much got it done

Just some finishing touches (silicone at the counter top gap, switch plates, door casing and such) to do and this one will be closed. Yea!
The “decider of all decor” wanted matte finish tiles but I over rode her on that one. I’m the one who winds up cleaning the kitchen most often (by far) and I wanted something easy to wipe down. Glad it did it that way. Not only am I slow with tiling, but not the neatest. The mortar and grout all match the tile closely and some bits of each dried on the tile face. A quick zip by with a single edge razor blade scraped it right off and a wipe with a rag and the haze came right off.
I think I’m done with tile projects for a while. Thanks for the help and encouragement along the way.
I think removing the granite backsplash sill made a nice visual difference in opening up the narrow space.
Here’s some before(ish) and after pics:
Attached Images

Unread 11-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #33
makethatkerdistick

I like the idea of a few LFTs instead of a much more expensive monolithic slab. At some point I'll be faced with the same work. Might do it the same way, actually.

Jeff, you didn't "override" the decider's choice, did you? There must be a more amicable phrase to describe what you did. Perhaps, you perfected the decider's already great choice?
Unread 11-04-2018, 03:56 PM   #34
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
I’m the one who winds up cleaning the kitchen most often (by far)
I dunno, Wolfgang, that looks to me like it makes his override much the same as complying with the wishes of whomever is writing the checks. I usually recommend whatever Mrs. Jeff wants, but I think his "overriding" was a fair choice, given that bit of information. 'Course, I ain't gotta live with Mrs. Jeff, neither.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2018, 05:07 PM   #35
Gozo

CX got it. It was a “ little red hen” situation...I ordered the tile, I paid for the tile, I cut the tile, I installed the tile, and I cleaned the tile. So I get to eat the tile. No,no,no; that’s not right...I get to pick out the tile.
It was just a difference in the finish of the tile, she was OK with the marble look. Once it was up she was fine with it. She’s a very much “don’t make major changes” kind of personality; I’m at the point in my life where if I don’t get a bit wild once in a while, I may not get the opportunity again. (Glossy vs. matte; can I get any wilder than that?)

Wolfgang, I did think about going with a 48” tile to get more of the single slab look, but the cost was a good bit more and I was kind of worried how I’d make a rip cut that long with the tiny saw. It was more economical to order the 24” size and not risk losing a bunch if I broke one or two. I had a few spares with the ones I used which was a good thing because just by chance I had duplicate patterns of some. I was trying to go for a “sort of” continuous veining across each wall.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase