Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 09-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #16
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Thanks John and Cain. Well I did what makes sense and called Schluter soon as they opened for the week, we spent probably 15 minutes on the phone discussing pros and cons etc.

There is no question that Schluter is wedded to unmodified thinset. We talked about all the different kinds and the properties associated with bonding under Kerdi and over.

One thing that was somewhat of a eye-opener was that the warrantee violation issue is regarding the "waterproofing nature of the Kerdi product." The tech I spoke with said that they warranty the waterproofing of the product, and it's Bond to the substrate/wall, but that warranty does not extend to the bond between the Kerdi and the tile.

I did not misunderstand that part when discussing it today, so if that is in error, that's just what I was told.

Anyway, I think at this point I will continue with my standard method which will be Ditraset on the walls and versabond on the shower pan tiles.

Will get me a bag of that X5 for sure to give it a whirl. The X 77 sounds a bit pricey at this point so I think I'll hold off on that one. Unless any other critical points were missed, or if some reason NOT to use QuartzLock2as grout on Emprador, then I think that's the plan for this project and I'll proceed as planned. Thanks all for your input.

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #17
HS345
Tile Contractor

I'm paying 28 bucks a bag for X77 gray. It is the best non sag I've ever used. Having said that, I use a lot of X5 over Kerdi.
Unread 09-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #18
eurob
Not...Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
but that warranty does not extend to the bond between the Kerdi and the tile.

I did not misunderstand that part when discussing it today, so if that is in error, that's just what I was told.

Thanks for the tip , Kevin .

Best thin set in the world for me is GR .

Name:  New tests -- 4 batches GR 008.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  50.8 KB

The X77 mixed with water did a test in harsch environment and is as good as it is advertised . The non sag is not comparable with any others Didn't have the chance yet to try it with the additive , I bet it can get better .

There was something here but is no longer available
eurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #19
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
they warranty the waterproofing of the product, and it's Bond to the substrate/wall, but that warranty does not extend to the bond between the Kerdi and the tile.
Well that's interesting. So that means modified over Kerdi is ok as long as it's what the mortar and tile manufacturers recommend?
Unread 09-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #20
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Regarding the warranty issue – I think this is something for JB to weigh-in on. I don't want to get anybody in trouble, but that's what I heard.

My assumption has always been that there was a warranted expectation of a certain bond to the tile as well as the waterproofing aspect and bonding to the wall substrate. So that's a new one on me.

Roberto, what is that black stuff? Is that the X 77? And if it is what's on the top half? It looks like it's curling so it's not a tile – is it Kerdi?

Jim, although I remember the part that is warranted virtually Word for Word, I am not sure that you can go as far as you did by saying you can do anything on top of Kerdi. But I do think she said something to the effect of Whatever you put on top of the Kerdi is your business and wouldn't void the warranty, because their warranty is the membrane and what's behind it.

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #21
eurob
Not...Sure

Kevin , the black stuff is GR . It is Kerdi over Cbu .

There was something here but is no longer available
eurob is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase