Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 08-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Online Project Management Software anyone?

I'm looking to start using an online project software program to keep track of ordering, delivery, etc of all aspects of a remodeling project. Mostly for having everything come together on time for day one of remodel.

Looking at Smartsheet. Not to be confused with Bullsheet.

When you get 4-5 clients at different stages in prep for their project sometimes things can fall through the cracks. Like forgetting that the tub was supposed to be ordered, etc. I've used my head, chicken scratchin in file folders, spreadsheets, outlook and so on, but have ended up with client and me having slightly different records for status. So I wanted someway for us both to have the same updated info in real time. Plus email records, copy of documents (contract, permit, houzz photo collection of client examples) and basically a checklist of what's done and not done and by whom.

Looked at many now but this one looks the best for my needs so far. Anybody do anything like this already?

Btw- one potential client said only thinking about remodel of their two bathrooms, until I proposed using an easy online checklist to make the huge daunting task more manageable. I asked if I could provide that . . . She said "where do I sign today".

To help clients stay on track for decisions on:

Tile, layout, size, locations
Plumbing Fixtures,
Vanities
Countertops
Plumbers/electrician - fans, floor heat etc.
Paint contractor

$16/mo starting cost so it's looking like a no brainier. Thoughts (for remodelers as opposed to fairly simple/streamlined tile project type of guys)?

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
chuck stevenson
Contractor -- Schluterville Graduate

I write my own in excel, save the master, and customize it per job. 16.00 per month sounds tempting.

No curb, walk-in shower.
chuck stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
Looks like a nice tool.
davem is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I've been using a task manager on my smart phone. It's basically a to-do list and you can set alarms and reminders for the tasks. It's not something you can use collaboratively with a customer.

The one I've been using is called Astrid, but they are doing away with it so I have to find another one. I installed Evernote which seems a little more complicated than Astrid, but I really haven't spent much time with it.
Unread 08-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

There's a program called Trello which is a simpler and more visual tool for managing a product. It's designed more for "corporate teams" and everyone can get on there and collaborate and it updates in real time. I could see something like this being useful for the JBF mods.

It's not specifically designed for construction but it would work for this type of situation. From a customer's standpoint I think it would have less of a learning curve. Also, it's free.

Here's a demo of the product:

Unread 08-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I write my own in excel, save the master, and customize it per job. 16.00 per month sounds tempting.
Yeah Chuck, I am at same point with Excel spreadsheets - very well thot out and automated, but found emailing them back and forth too cumbersome. They'd update me via phone call, voicemail, text, email, vendor updates, etc. so I'd have to deal with each separately then update my sheet and later contact client with updates.

With this we won't need to have so many plates spinning and should be easier as any update I make is instantly on their sheet as well. As it's the same sheet being monitored and updated collaboratively.

Building my first project template now. A fun diversion until I can make it really workable. Hope to be operational in a couple weeks (6-8 hrs time involved).

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
koihito
A person, like you.

I use Evernote. What I like most is that I can "invite" people to see and/or edit individual documents and it is platform agnostic; accessible from Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Windows 8 and Blackberry.

www.mikoskiconstruction.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
chuck stevenson
Contractor -- Schluterville Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
With this we won't need to have so many plates spinning and should be easier as any update I make is instantly on their sheet as well. As it's the same sheet being monitored and updated collaboratively.
Smartsheet looks like a good tool with a lot less work and fewer steps than excel.

No curb, walk-in shower.
chuck stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase