Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 05-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #46
World LLC

i ordered this last night to replace my Hilti

youtube_share;liOXM0eQtR8 EDIT: not sure how to bed a video here
Attached Images

www.Facebook.com/worldllc
World LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #47
nelsonkoehn
showers & more

I ordered this laser for to give a trying out!

Dewalt DW089K Self Leveling 3 Beam Laser

Not to sure, some of the reviews mention the 2 vertical lines not being square , others say it is right on

Less money than the PLS, and another beam

Name:  DW089K_K1.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  37.0 KB

tile.nkoehn.com
nelsonkoehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #48
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I was looking these over again yesterday. A couple of things I don't think were mentioned. The PLS's come with a case. From the photos posted above, I'm assuming the Dewalt does too. I don't know which, if any, of the others have one.

Also, according to this guys review on Amazon, the Hilti's, Bosch's, and Leica's are all made in China, whereas the PLS's are US made.

If I were going to buy one today, I think I would buy the 180. But since I don't, I'll be waiting for Kevin to be the guinea pig.
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #49
ob1kanobee

Is the PLS-180 good for projecting lines on the floor too or are we talking just mainly vertical work here?

I want one that does both well. It needs to be able to layout floors too by projecting lines and 45's.

I had an SL-24 but I did not like it.

This combo doesn't look bad. Not sure what I'm missing vs. what Kevin got and how much money you save by buying them together as well as just how good is that PLSFT-90? COMBO pack posted in link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Laser-FT-90-Co...ywords=plsft90

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.

Last edited by ob1kanobee; 05-04-2013 at 12:59 PM.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #50
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Ben, the PLS 180 only does a vertical line and a horizontal line but those lines cover from straight up straight down pretty much - on the vertical. So for a floor laser all you'd get out of it would be using the vertical line only.

I like my Bosch GLT3 90° floor laser.

I like this one because the lasers are about 2 to 3 inches off the floor so shooting across spacers or TLS straps won't disrupt the line.
Attached Images

Last edited by Topspin; 05-04-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #51
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Of course, if you only use your laser for an initial layout and don't use it after you've got spacers, then the flat-to-floor type laser (like pls FT90) would probably work just fine. You might even be able to put that laser on a 2 x 4 or somehow raise it up a couple inches and then it would likely perform the same function as the Bosch pictured above.

Btw - the Bosch above has 2 options 90° lines, or 90° lines and 45° line.

Last edited by Topspin; 05-04-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #52
ob1kanobee

Thanks Kevin.
This is not high enough off the floor then? I see what you are saying but I have no personal experience with either. I'd get the Bosch and the same one you got too then. Here's a video:

http://www.plslaser.com/line-lasers/plsft90

Unread 05-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #53
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Ben, I really, really wanted to get just the PLS2 and save the hundred bucks. There really wasn't much more in the PLS 180 that I initially thought would justify the extra bucks. PLS2 and the PLS180 are primarily for wall work. But I decided that I am tired of buying what will do, instead of what I would really like. And then later having to buy an upgrade at an incremental expense. So I figured just spend it and stop thinking about it. But as soon as I put the batteries in I could see it was definitely an upgrade from my Bosch GLL2-10 cross laser, (not the GLT3 i was talking about above). The PLS 180 line is much sharper, it gets to level and plum faster, and instead of the 90° fan range of the Bosch, The PLS 180 has a 180° fan range, Or basically almost from straight down to more than straight up. In fact in a 8 foot tall room my PLS 180 VERTICAL LINE shines about 1 foot in front of my pole all the way to about 3 feet behind the pole on the ceiling. So I kind a like that feature too. But it would not be sufficient for a floor layout tool by itself.

Unread 05-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #54
ob1kanobee

Gotcha. I'm just wondering if the PLS specific floor tile laser shoots better lines than the Bosch one you have. Of course it won't do much good if it isn't high enough off the floor and I don't want to mess with raising it.

In the video it looked as if that PLS floor laser for tile was shooting some nice lines.

I had the SL-24 and the line would get fat the further it got away. I couldn't figure out what side of the line I was supposed to go off or the middle? This was like in 15 feet too.

Kind of reminded me of the time I was watching these guys shoot with a transit years ago. The guy gave the one guy a sharp pencil. Well it broke so he started using a Magic Marker he pulled out of his pocket. Then the guy looking through the transit comes over to inspect all the marks from the center of the slab and starts telling the guy what an idiot he is. "Just where abouts on that fat mark you made is the correct spot?" He was a big guy to be calling an idiot from a short little guy. LOL

Unread 05-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #55
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

The FT 90 the PLS laser shoots sharp lines, its very small and durable you can tell its built well its made from cast aluminum. I like it I just got it and I like how it shoots a true plus sign and not just a 90 degree angle like all the other lasers. For tile work the + sign is key. I like it alot I used it already.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #56
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Here's a follow up on the PLS 180 that I bought. Pic of the kit with case: PLS180, Pouch, Magnetic L mount, detector, detector mount.

Also 4 views of the laser sitting in a corner. Vertical line gives you plumb lines for both walls at one time - pretty nice. Ceiling too if your into that kind of thing. Sorry, Bathcave so small I couldn't back up enough to get all in one shot.
Attached Images

Unread 05-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #57
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Note that I took the pic with the lights off so you could see the laser. But since the room was dark the camera phone overcompensated the laser light making it look fat and wide. It's not. Its sharp and very consistent brightness throughout the full arc in this room.

The laser beam thickness is just slightly thicker than my former Bosch, but the bosch was a thiner -fuzzier line, this one is just a hair thicker, but its a sharper line. Making it easier to put the inside edge or outside edge of the line just where you want it.

Don't get me wrong, the line is thin, but a little different (and better) than the ($180 cheaper) Bosch laser.

All in all, I have forgotten the price, almost, and now love it. Thanks Kelly for the push. The 180 does have benefits over the 90 degree arc that the PLS2 would have offered.

[Oh and for all you sharp eyes out there -1. the Kerdiboard was just propped up against the back wall not mounted. 2. There is no stud in the corner as the plumber had to come the next day to move the mainline for me to put corner support in there, and 3. yes those studs are on the flat, but glued and Tapcon'd to the foundation below and blocked behind above. and 4. the question mark hole in the floor was there when I pulled up the tub. All is strong, neat and tidy today, thank you.]

Last edited by Topspin; 05-09-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #58
ob1kanobee

I just ordered the PLS180. I purchased a Bosch cross-line laser a few weeks ago just to see if I'd use the darn thing. It has come in pretty handy. So I will return it and jump up to the PLS180.

Last shower I had showed a full tile at the ceiling on a diagonal. Withing a few minutes I was able to point out to the homeowner and designer that the ceiling was 3/4" out of level in 4 feet.

I would like to find some kind of tripod or pole we can mount it on. I think I would prefer a pole but I can see a tripod coming in handy.

I've been using the Bosch almost daily for the past few weeks. Real nice tools these lasers.

Unread 07-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #59
Obie1
Tile Contractor

Was just talking to a cabinet guy about the 180 yesterday as he had the pls2 and kept having to adjust it. It wouldnt wrap the 3 walls he needed it to. The pls180 is clutch in my book. I've used it on nearly every shower since I bought it. I've also been finding the strength of the magnet in the mount is so strong you can almost always find something in the wall to stick it to.

ELITE TILE WORKS
(805)845-8787
Southern California ceramic and stone tile contractor serving Santa Barbara and Ventura counties
http://www.elitetileworks.net/

Obie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #60
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Ben, here's the pole I use Fastcap 3rd hand works great. When you get just to the point where the pole joint coupling would be in the way, I just flip the pole upside down. PLS magnet really holds it on there. Plus it's cheap.

Recommend getting the three pak of poles. Use the other two for holding up plastic wall separators. Enjoy

Last edited by Topspin; 07-24-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase