Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-24-2004, 05:39 PM   #1
jps99

Did Customs' non-sanded, siliconized grout stain your granite tiles?

I just set the grout joint around my 'tile in' sink. This install has my sink surface flush with the granite tile surface surrounding it. It all looks good, as I masked the edges and used a soft rubber sanding pad to 'screed' the silicone grout into the joint.
Just one thing; the silicone grout has left a 'moisture signature' along the edges of the tiles its made contact with. The signature is only about 1/2 to 3/4" wide and looks exactly the same shade as when the bedding mortar was set. Of course the bedding mortar is H2O based, and dries after a few days. On the other hand, I know this siliconized grout contains some petroleum products and how much of it is in there I don't know. What worries me is that it's been 3 days now, and the moisture signature is still there.
Anyone had this type of experience with Customs' ( or any other) siliconized grout when making these type of joint seals along granite or other porous stone surfaces?
Any suggestions on helping it 'dry-out', etc.?
jps99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-24-2004, 08:40 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi JP, Welcome. Please cough up a name.

I think you're okay with the silicone. It'll probably clear out as it cures. Let's see what others have to say.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2004, 09:08 PM   #3
jps99

So John Bridge, it sounds like you've heard of this phenomena before. If so, would it have been a good idea to seal the granite tiles before grouting the joints, then again afterwards?
Thanks for your time.
Unread 02-25-2004, 09:53 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Pat,

Silicone is often used over natural stone, so I don't see that as a problem.

I never pre-seal anything before grouting, and I've never had a serious problem. I think you are seeing the moisture imprint from the water in the grout. It will evaporate. If it were grout, it would be all over the surface, but even if it is grout, it can be removed with a cleaner. Let's give it a couple days.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase