Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
Lilmiss3

Glass tile mortar

I recently shopped at a different store than I usually do, and they carried a different line of products. I usually use Tec Full Flex in white for glass tile installation, but this store carried Mapei, so I purchased their UltraFlex Wall Mortar in white (it's for a shower floor, shower walls and adjoining wall areas; the shower floor and walls will be Kerdi, the surrounding wall areas are/will be both typical drywall and concrete backerboard). BUT, the sales clerk tried to sell me Mapei's UltraFlex Marble, I believe it was, that only came in this little 10 lb. bag and, of course, cost more. He said it was recommended because it eliminated the problem of the mortar 'seeping through' and causing a haze on the outside of the glass tile. I told him I had never heard of such a thing, and had always just heard that white was what was needed for glass tile, so I went ahead and bought the white UltraFlex. Anyone ever heard of this problem, and am I good with the product I purchased....???

Last edited by Lilmiss3; 05-06-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: forgot to mention that I'll be tiling a Kerdi shower
Lilmiss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

This is a new one for me. Does he have any pictures of this?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
Lilmiss3

He didn't offer up any photos....
Unread 05-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Maybe by "seeping" he is trying to say latex migration? Dunno. I don't think it's a problem for your application.
I always step up one level above the standard Ultraflex/Full Flex mortars for glass tile. Something like Superflex or one of the other super premium mortars instead. That extra super-sticky grab gives you a margin of error you don't have with the very bottom cheapest mortars that are approved for glass tile.
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

What Tom said about the mortar. Got a link?

How big are the glass tiles?

Might need an extended cure time over kerdi. Regardless of size, with a premium modified mortar, i'd definitely give it longer than you'd give for a dryset.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Lilmiss3

I see now, on the Schluter site, that they do NOT recommend modified thinset mortar in order to avoid extended cure times and 'latex leaching' (I have no idea what latex leaching is, but it doesn't sound good).

In all my previous tile work in this house (dinette room & laundry room floor, fireplace surround, kitchen backsplash, another shower/tub surround reno last summer which was NOT a Kerdi project), I've always used a modified thinset because of its added adhesive properties, so I'm baffled by Kerdi's recommendation that I NOT use it with their product....

Suggestions....???
Attached is a photo of the tile I'll be using on the walls. As you can see, it consists of glass, marble and travertine strips.
Attached Images

Unread 05-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
dhagin

You can use a white modifed for that Lynn, I would. It will void any warranty, but I wouldn't worry about that part of it. Just give it a day minimum at 70F minimum & 50% humidity max. The night after you set em, just crank up the heat, crack the window, and turn on the exhaust fan.

To see why Schluter recommends a dryset, check out their "Shower Handbook". Link on the side of the page --->

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
Unread 05-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #8
Lilmiss3

Smile

Dana - so, even if a modified thinset would void any warranty by Kerdi, you're saying don't worry about it and go ahead with using it anyway? Why do you recommend using it, even though Kerdi DOESN'T, I'm curious?
I take it that, as long as I'm confident that I've allowed for an extended time for curing behind the tile, I don't need to worry....???
BTW, I live in Mesa, AZ and will be doing this in June. It'll be triple digits outside, and 80 degrees inside. The bathroom is on an outside wall with a 6-row by 7-row glass block window. That area of the house is always too warm for me, but I guess it will be a good thing for my tiling project.
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
dhagin

What Bob said.

We're installing a fair amount of those mosaics these days and always use a mortar recommended for glass, like Laticrete Glass Tile Adhesive or 4XLT.

Unread 06-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #10
Lilmiss3

How to cut glass tile

I have a brick layout made of travertine, marble, and several shades of glass. All the pieces are of different lengths (some are quite small - a half inch), by 5/8" thick.
I need to know the best way to cut individual pieces to lay into odd and end corner areas. It's hard to hold onto the little pieces while using any sort of hand-held cutting tool (I tried a Makita as well as a RYOBI hand-held wet saw).
I have LOTS of these cuts, so that is a factor to consider...
Attached Images

Unread 06-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #11
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

A wet saw is my favorite way. Here is a thread with a tip for using a snap cutter with small pcs of glass tile.
Unread 06-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #12
reefone
tile setter

for tiles like that i will pull them off the sheet and use my nippers to cut them to the right legnth.
Unread 06-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #13
Executive Flooring

This thread is a great one that Paul from Cabot&Rowe put together. I think you will find it very beneficial.
Unread 06-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
tilejoe

I like to set those types of mosaic 2 days in advance on a sheet membrane, like kerdi.

Then you are able to cut it on a wet saw without pcs flying off. You can also polish the outside corner easily.

Infinite Ceramic & Stone
www.infiniteceramic.com
NTCA Pennsylvania State Rep
CTEF Certified Installer #769
tilejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
Lilmiss3

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I tried one of the glass pieces with my hand-held roller snips, and it worked well to score it and snap the piece. I'll do that for the individual pieces and then try the wet saw on the whole sheets.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase