Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 11-25-2009, 01:07 AM   #16
ob1kanobee

commercial gin? ya mean like the alcohol lol ?

I just tried a new gin called Hendrick's. Little different but good

I like Gin and Tonics

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 01:10 AM   #17
jjwq8
Veteran Member -- Kuwait

Location: Q8; bigger than Rhode Island, hotter than Death Valley, drier than an Arbusto oil well.
Now there's a plan!

Stop Global Warming Now! Put Ice in everything (and maybe an olive or two)

I get angry to take a break from being pissed off
jjwq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #18
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
The cause could very well be a natural one. As I said, I don't know. And I don't go around telling anyone that I do know. And I don't think anyone else knows.

What I said was that the climate is warming. You can call it whatever you want, but that's all I said.

Now, the metric system, as everyone should know, is a Canadian plot to disrupt our thinking and confuse us. That way when we drive across the border their cops can write us speeding tickets and collect the revenue. Last time I was up there the speed limit sign said 100 on Hwy 1. I was only going 80 when the guy pulled me over.

And gravity. There's a real lu lu.

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 07:04 AM   #19
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

And now for something not completely different...

"Hide the Decline"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEiLg...layer_embedded
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 09:07 AM   #20
jvcstone
Stone Carver

The "global warming" boogieman has now become the "climate change" boogieman for the simple reason that real data does not support the global warming thesis any longer. Most of you know me as a stone guy, but in a previous life, I was a university educated geologist, and I still keep up with a lot of the literature.

CX mentioned the "global cooling" scare that was being brought to us back in the 70's and early 80's by many of the same folk who are now on this new band wagon. Problem then was the same problem now--the temperature graft started going in the opposite direction. The current warming peak was in 1998, and the world mean temperature has been dropping ever since. (JB, didn't Seattle have a major snow last winter???) The real drive behind this is political, not science, and it has been decided by the one worlders that "man made" global warming is the one fear mongering issue that they can unite enough people behind to enable a world wide commission to trump national sovereignty.

One might say that climate change is a basic constant on this (and every planet with atmosphere), but it sure ain't anthropogenic in origin. It's only been going on for about 4.5 billion years, and will continue happening long after our puny species goes extinct. It is only man's arrogance that enables people like AlGore to think we can control nature.

I could go on citing all sorts of real scientific investigation, but this is already too long. If any of you are really interested in climate change and man's involvement (or lack of) get a copy of Ian Plimmer's latest book---Heaven and Earth. Even if you only read the introduction, you might find it enlightening.

JVC

-- John VanCamp
we should not accept something as true until it has been officially denied!
jvcstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #21
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVC
the temperature graft started going in the opposite direction.
I'm wonderin' if that was a typo or a little stone guy humor there, John.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #22
jvcstone
Stone Carver

caught me, CX

Never could spell worth a damn, and spell check doesn't catch a correctly spelled word miss used.

JVC

-- John VanCamp
Unread 11-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #23
ob1kanobee

I have posted the book John VanCamp mentioned to read AND you can actually read the introduction here on this link plus see the table of contents and book reviews. Amazon is a wonderful thing!

Well I guess you actually have to scroll down to the section that says "Inside The Book" and you can read it all there.....you might have to click around a little and figure it out for you folks like CX. (no offense CX)

http://www.amazon.com/Heaven-Earth-W.../dp/0704371669

I still say human activities may be a factor but not necessarily the primary one. I'm also not worried about it because the future of the earth is in good hands and it isn't man's hands :-)

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.

Last edited by ob1kanobee; 11-25-2009 at 08:26 PM.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #24
sandbagger

Dr Roy Spencer's Climate Confusion is also an excellent read.

Remember James Hansen- the NASA scientist who complained about having his "free speech" infringed? (and who also got money from George Soros.) Well, Spencer was a colleague of Hansen at NASA who had other - contradicting - theories about the whole GW thing. Also unlike Hansen, Spencer respected his "rules of employment" with NASA regarding public speaking. That meant leaving NASA (2001) and joining the research staff at Univ of Alabama so that he could continue his work and become a key voice of sanity against those who worship at the Church of GW.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #25
Josh T

Lightbulb I learned the same thing...

I learned the same thing... at the last Flat Earth Society meeting I attended.
I also learned about how they staged the moon landing in Hollywood and that vaccines are just a 'gubermint' mind control drug.

Sshhhhh ... I gotta' go... their are black hel-E-copters hoverin' over my house.
Wish me luck.
Unread 11-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #26
jjwq8
Veteran Member -- Kuwait

Location: Q8; bigger than Rhode Island, hotter than Death Valley, drier than an Arbusto oil well.
Screw Global Warming! Move to Q8.

Let's mix metaphors.

If global warming became climate change to suit a political imperative, how long will it be before climate change becomes regime change and the agnostics start re-arming in preparation for the next war against tornadoism and the removal of GOD, who controls the weather and clearly intends the destruction of our profligate western civilization.

Don't believe GOD controls the weather? Ask your Insurers and they will always tell you it is an act of GOD.

I get angry to take a break from being pissed off
jjwq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 07:38 AM   #27
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.V.C.
(JB, didn't Seattle have a major snow last winter???)
Nary a flake in the city. They did have a really good snowfall up in the mountains, though. Mt. Rainier was mostly white down as far as you could see from a distance when we were there last summer.

Maybe I should just start saying that the climate is "different," because it certainly is.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #28
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Yep, I can agree that the climate is different. Whether man has much to do with it or not remains an open question.

In general - the less energy we use and the less pollution we generate the better off we all will be. I don't think we will have any discernible impact on the earth's climate regardless of what we do.

The earth's climate is always changing. It has been both warmer and colder in the past, for long stretches of time. Why do we think that the climate we have today is the best? If we could change the climate I vote for it to be a little bit warmer overall.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #29
Oldrem

Send a message via Yahoo to Oldrem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEiLgbBGKVk

Lifetime DIYer, Cowboy Action shooter, Gun collector

http://www.computer-adventure.com
Oldrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #30
jvcstone
Stone Carver

Quote:
the less pollution we generate the better off we all will be.
Ain't that the truth.

However---when did CO2 become a pollutant?? The gas is a necessary ingredient for life. The critical "pre industrial" level of 270 ppm is geologically an extremely low level. Hot house growers routinely force content to 600-800ppm because it is the primary plant food, and promotes faster, stronger growth.

Quite possibly, the only time CO2 should be classified as a pollutant is when it's coming out of the mouths of politicians.

JVC

-- John VanCamp

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase