Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 04-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
madronatile
Tile Contractor -- Seattle, WA.

Soapstone rodding/seam questions

Going to put some soapstone slabs on my counter top. Wondering about rodding on the thin parts around my drop in cook top. Is it neccesary with 1.25" slab? I'm guessing it's a good idea. I was thinking about putting in the rods and starting the cuts outside then finishing them when the slab is in place to reduce chances of something bad happening during transport.

Stainless threaded rod-or is galvanized fine with this stone? Diameter of rod? How far past the cutout to extend it?

I'm guessing no reinforcement is needed around the farm sink as there will be a good 10" of meat there. Sound right?

I also need to have a few seams. I have tenax knifegrade transparent, plus the tints. First-is this a good epoxy for the seams? How about the rodding? Since soapstone will be darker with time do I mix the tint dark to the shade that I think the slab will eventually become?

I took the time to make the counters perfectly level. Can I install the slabs with something out of a tube, like polyurethane or silicone?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance!
Attached Images

www.madronatile.com
madronatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
GraniteGirl
Ms. Makita

Send a message via Yahoo to GraniteGirl
Hi Matt

If your cabinets are nice and level, I would not worry about rodding the cooktop cut-out, unless you plan on doing that somewhere else and then carrying the top (with the cut-out already in place) to the kitchen. I would suggest cutting the cooktop in place, though. It would make things a lot easier. The only major function of rodding a cut-out is to prevent breakage during transport and installation.

Seaming: The Tenax would be fine. Tint it to be a transparent black (or close to what the stone would be if you enhanced or oiled it) The strip behind the apron sink would be a great place for a seam. Would make install a lot easier and also would be a very small seam (only 6" or so) and you will not see much of it once the faucets are installed.

A high grade 100% silicon should be fine for attaching and caulking.

www.IslandSoapstone.com

Relax - it's a rock! What could go wrong?!

GraniteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

Hi Matt, I hope to work with soapstone slabs some day, just need to find a client who wants them.

I generally rod all my sink cutouts - for me, its an ounce of prevention. Just make sure any rodding does not interfere with fixture locations. I have just used steel bar stock 1/8 x 1/2 and knife grade epoxy and extend about 4-5 inches past the cutout.

Unread 04-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
madronatile

Thanks!

www.madronatile.com
Unread 07-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
madronatile

Making some progress! Cooktop slab went in well, cut most of it outside but finished inside with carbide blade in jigsaw. Looks so different with mineral oil!

Little (hopefully!) problem when cutting for sink. I used a carbide bit with a bearing guide. Unfortunately the set screw for the collar that keeps the bearing in place came out, then the bearing rode up above the template and into the stone.

Any good methods for fixing? The worst spot is about 1/8" deep, concave like a router bit. Possible to fill and sand with something that will look ok when polished?

Worst case I could take another 1/8" off everywhere, I was hoping for a generous overhang though.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

www.madronatile.com
Unread 07-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
madronatile

Heartbreak. Got my problem solved, piece all polished in backyard just waiting for friends to help carry in. Then I broke it while trying to clean the bottom so the silicone could bond well. So stupid.

No emoticon quite captures how I'm feeling at present.

www.madronatile.com
Unread 07-15-2009, 06:44 AM   #7
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Matt

So sorry to hear that your stone broke.

Just for the benefit of all following your thread, what happened? Are you sure your cat didn't jump on it when you weren't looking? Did you try making behind the farm sink seamless? Where did it break? Do you have pictures of the damage? Maybe it's correctable.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase