Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Duane

Cool Kerdi Curb

The shower I am doing with a Kerdi shower kit will have a freestanding glass shower enclosure. I believe they need to attach to the curb. So, my question is should I use 2x4's for the curb or can I use the Kerdi curb enclosed with the kit? I am thinking screwing into the styrofoam won't cut it.
Thanks, Duane
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

In neither case is it a good idea to drill holes in the kerb. There are techniques to anchor glass without making holes.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Duane

Can you give me a little more specific info on other techniques to anchor the glass?
Thanks, Duane
Unread 03-06-2008, 05:26 AM   #4
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Hi Duane,

This site - http://www.wilsonglass.com/ has some good information on installation of glass.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
crosby1

it's been recommended to use an epoxy to attach the u-channel to the curb. i have a similar install; the folks at wilsonglass are extremely helpful. NEVER put holes into any horizontal surface in your shower...no matter how well you think you've sealed them, they'll leak.
Unread 03-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Duane

thanks guys, but this is a freestanding shower glass enclosure and no u channel. would epoxy be used on the one attachment point on the curb?
Duane
Unread 03-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Clear silicone is what Wilson glass recommends. Of course they show a u-channel, not sure about setting the glass directly on the curb without the channel.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
ragtop69gs

Whatever you do DON'T let the glass touch the tile. Use plastic spacers between the glass and tile, then afix with a hi grade clear silicone. If you dont want to use channels, place your spacers,(Be sure to put a dab of silicone to the bottom of the spacers) run a bead of silicone, then set the glass (you may want to use suction cups and 2 or more people to help steady and set the glass so you don't ruin the bead of silicone). You want enough of a bead to fill the void without squishing out and making a mess. A tape line on both sides of the bead area will keep any overflow mess to a minimumand aid in tooling the silicone if needed. Remove the tape before the silicone sets. Secure the glass plumb and level and let the silicone cure. glass corners can be siliconed together without brackets and are plenty strong once it has fully cured. Carpenters corner clamps help to keep your corners square.

Do look at the Wilson Glass info. Lots of good stuff there

500 gallon Aquariums are built using just glass and silicone and hold WAAAAAY more pressure than you'll ever subject it to.

Patriot Guard Rider
http://www.patriotguard.org/

'69 Buick GS400
'47 Diamond T 509

"We have been doing so much with so little for so long, pretty soon we will be able to do everything with nothing."
ragtop69gs is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase