Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
mwhits

Adding curb to existing shower

I have an existing (new construction) curb less shower that is creating a minor flooding situation every time it is used. I asked the builder about installing a curb, his reply was we can get a piece of granite (1-1/4") and install it on the tile floor. "They do this all the time". I'm thinking-trip hazard, not to code etc. I was expecting/hoping for a traditional curb to stop the water issues.

Currently we have just a shower curtain but were also considering a glass panel and possibly a swinging door. Not a lot of room but we could fit the hinged door on the right hand side opposite the shower head.

Is it possible to install a "traditional" style curb on existing floor tile? The shower floor is only tiled out 27" while the wall is tiled out 31.5" Seems like the shower floor tile should have extended out further?

I've attached two pictures one of the construction stage and another as it is today. (Yes this is the same house with the white haze on the tiles) Different bath room....
Unread 02-26-2020, 09:50 AM   #2
mwhits

Pictures didn't go, trying again.
Attached Images

Unread 02-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
Kman

Does the curtain fall on the tile outside the shower, or inside?

If inside, is the floor sloped at 1/4" per foot to the drain?

You could make a curb out of concrete, if you could figure out how to form it up. Or you could bond a foam curb to the floor, waterproof it, and tile over that.

You may not need actual waterproofing to make a water-tight seal between the curb and floor, but just something keep water from splashing or running out during the shower.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
john619

I think the granite threshold idea is a good one to create a dam to restrict the water from spilling out of the shower area. They also make collapsible foam damns for this reason that are adhered to the floor. granite would be a nicer look. aligned with your wall tiles
Unread 02-26-2020, 12:49 PM   #5
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

I believe jadnashua recently posted a link to a Schluter shower entry transition strip with built in silicon wiper/dam which would work great. Couldn't locate the post but it would required cutting into floor to set the piece.

Quote:
The shower floor is only tiled out 27" while the wall is tiled out 31.5" Seems like the shower floor tile should have extended out further?
I concur; not sure that shower meet the minimum code size requirement, take a look at IRC 2015 Figure 307.1

Last edited by PC7060; 02-26-2020 at 12:56 PM.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Cutting a slot big enough to install this to look good could be tricky, but possible. https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...PROFILE_WS-WSK
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #7
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC7060
not sure that shower meet the minimum code size requirement, take a look at IRC 2015 Figure 307.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhits
Oh now I understand. It's Florida, the "we don't need no stinkin' standard" state.

PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2020, 08:16 AM   #8
mwhits

I thought 30" would have been a standard for shower depth but it was inspected so I'm assuming this size is within code. Would have been nice if they ran the shower floor tile out the full 30" same as the wall tile, we would have a few more inches to work with.

So the builder is proposing installing a piece of granite on the plank floor tile so the inside edge of the granite will be even with the floor tile transition.

Am I going to have a problem with this being outside the floor (drain) system?

We may put a piece of glass on top of the granite and leave 24" for the doorway

Or we were also thinking of just installing the piece of glass directly on the shower floor tiles at the transition with the plank floor tiles

Pros/Cone either way?

Thank You Much
Unread 02-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Being in Florida, Mike, you may not have any code governing your shower size at all. But in most areas of the country the minimum shower footprint is 900 square inches and a 30-inch hoop must fit within the confines of the shower walls.

You should also have a minimum of 15 inches on each side from the centerline of that toilet drain, which might account for the too-small shower size.

A glass wall on part of the shower opening might help some, but you're still gonna have a lot of splash-out from that shower in use even if you install a curb.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2020, 12:09 PM   #10
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
And installing glass means you'll have to go into the shower to turn it on, so in a shower that size, there'll be no escaping the cold water.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2020, 01:23 PM   #11
cx
Moderator emeritus

If the shower control is on the wall to the right side in the photos, Dan, that may not be a problem. But I can't see where the controls might be.

If the control is on the left wall with the shower head, I'd recommend moving it anyway.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #12
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, there are some shower valves that have volume controls. You could turn the water on to a trickle and not end up getting wet while the temperature stabilized. The advantage to this type is that it has a second control for the mix or water temperature. If it's a thermostatically controlled valve (my recommendation), it would always get to your ideal setting (assuming you're the only one using the shower), or if moved, you'd have a good idea where you left it and can move it back.

The smallest shower I ever used was in a small, old, hotel in London...they also had it way elevated (first floor, no basement) so that they could put a trap and still get slope. It was a disaster waiting to happen with the step down out of the thing! You could barely turn around in the thing...it was cheap, though!
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2020, 08:35 PM   #13
mwhits

Thank you all for your input. We've decided go with the builder's recommendation of installing the granite threshold directly onto the plank floor tiles and we'll have the glass company install a fixed piece of glass on the granite with a hinged door on the right hand side. going to be tight but I think that's the best way out of this.

The shower valve is on the right hand side opposite the shower head.

Thanks again.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase