Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-25-2020, 05:32 PM   #1
tampagirl

can i create grout haze on purpose?

I just had a tub converted to a walk in shower. The shower flooring that I chose was white and pale grey marble mosaic. The installer did whatever he did and they are discolored and I can not stand them. They look like a dirty fishbowl and nothing like the original. I did a ton a research and it was probably what they were laid on that stained them. He was also spraying vinegar on other tiles and I advised him that he can NOT use that on my shower floor but I am mostly sure he did. That being said, I can not rip it out and start new and he is definitely not willing at this point. I went ahead and sealed them as per the instructions on the tile and he did grout them today. i peeked in and actually thought they looked better with the grout haze all over them. It lightened and whitened them. Then he wiped all of it off with who knows what and I think the color got worse. I had the idea that what if i grouted again and left the haze on permanently. Is that ridiculous? Will it hurt the tile? Someone please let me know asap. I don't want to hate my brand new bath
Thank you!
Unread 02-25-2020, 06:01 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Sunshine.

Please don't start any more duplicate threads.

I would suggest a couple things. First, I recommend you use the Advanced Search feature and type in marble shower. You'll find a lot of threads discussing similar problems with installing marble, especially white marble in wet areas such as your shower floor.

Second, I'd recommend you post some photos of your floor so our folks can see what you're looking at that is not pleasing.

Third, please tell us how your shower receptor was constructed.

Forth, please tell us what was used to grout the floor tiles. Brand name, make and model.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2020, 06:13 PM   #3
tampagirl

Sorry about that. I just joined and I am not the most tech savy. I don't have the information available for all that you asked. I know that there was a rubber pan, mud ( cement) and then thinset (Mapei ultraflex 1) and then the tiles- mosaic herringbone tiles by american olean. The grout used was Mapei ultracolor plus fa.
Unread 02-25-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

For the photos you can use the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box to attach photos from storage on your computer.

If your tile are indeed bonded directly to the top mortar bed of a traditional mud/liner/mud shower receptor, you're probably a good candidate for a removal of your floor tiles and probably the top mud bed and a complete replacement with a tile more appropriate for the application. But your description of "mosaic herringbone tiles by american olean" doesn't really sound like a marble tile. Says marble on the packaging?

If the tiles are indeed your problem and if your tiles are in fact a marble and if you chose the tiles, you can't expect him to re-do the shower floor for free, but if you've been a good customer and have paid his submitted bills promptly, he may well be agreeable to re-doing the shower floor at a reasonable charge.

You have been very nice to him, yes?

Unread 02-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #5
tampagirl

Photos

Here are the before/after photos. He said he would not rip anything out but would tile over tile, which I’m not doing. I really don’t hate it when the grout haze was still on the tiles and if that could stay, I’d be totally fine. And yes, I've been very nice to him- daily cappucinos and patience of a saint for his very erratic work schedule.
Attached Images

Unread 02-25-2020, 07:01 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

A rather poor job of installing or/and grouting seems to me to be what's making that floor look bad. He should be willing to re-do that just on principle, to my thinking.

Let's see what others think.

You have a photo of the floor that includes the drain?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Last edited by cx; 02-25-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Unread 02-25-2020, 07:26 PM   #7
tampagirl

Drain photos

First two are drain photos and then some “work in progress” photos as well.
Attached Images

Unread 02-25-2020, 08:57 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

It appears to me that your drain is actually sitting proud of the top of the tiles. Is that the case?

Unread 02-25-2020, 10:10 PM   #9
jerrymlr1

Wow! Did he do this blindfolded? I wouldn't want this guy re-doing anything.
Unread 02-25-2020, 11:13 PM   #10
Kman

Yikes!

I think I'd bite the bullet and hire someone else to replace the floor tile.

Of course, that assumes that the shower is otherwise in good working order. We often find that shoddy workmanship on the surface is indicative of the same lack of quality underneath.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2020, 06:39 AM   #11
tampagirl

The drain is raised higher than the tile slightly. I hadn’t noticed that until you said it. Unfortunately.
Unread 02-26-2020, 07:10 AM   #12
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
With the drain set higher water will pool around the drain to a certain diameter, thus keeping the grout and tile wet, longer. As you've probably read by now marble tends to soak up water.

Not to pile on, but yeah, that really doesn't look good Sunshine. I'll echo Kevin's concern over the quality of the work we cannot see.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2020, 08:41 AM   #13
speed51133

do you have any photos of what the floor looked like before tile was set? how about the wall prior to tile?

I really would not let the guy back in the house. Even if he will fix it for free. Tell him to demo it all out for free, that's about it. Hope fully the walls are not bad.
Unread 02-26-2020, 08:58 AM   #14
makethatkerdistick

What you have is, to quote a doyen of the forum, a piss-poor tile installation.
So sorry for you! The good news is that this can be removed and reset without harming the water proofing below. You said that you had a traditional PVC liner (what you described as "rubber" in your post). If so, then having a better outcome is well within reach. Also, the raised drain situation could then be addressed as well. I'd forsake the marble on the floor, though. Nothing but trouble!

I am concerned (and unfortunately, I am an eternal pessimist) that if the floor has been done so poorly, the water proofing might be of the same standard. Has a 24h+ flood test been performed on this receptor? If not, you should do one yourself!
Unread 02-26-2020, 09:26 AM   #15
Kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
The good news is that this can be removed and reset without harming the water proofing below.
That's assuming that the slope is done properly and directs water to the drain from the perimeter, with no dips or humps that cause a problem.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase