Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-24-2020, 09:47 PM   #1
Paula Bradley

Schluter linear drain installation mistake

Well, I can’t believe I did this but I failed to install the grate support in the channel body before tiling my shower floor. (I know) I tiled with travertine right up to the side walls of the body.....and I grouted with epoxy grout! Sooooo, my plan is to very carefully cut down most of the way through the surrounding tile enough for the support to drop down to its correct height. Because of the height adjustment ability of the support, I think I just need to cut down to about 2/3 of tile thickness. I’ll leave enough room for a grout line between the support and the tile on the surface. I’m thinking I’ll just cut with a diamond blade, and install with thinset as original instructions.
How does this sound???
Attached Images

Unread 02-24-2020, 09:54 PM   #2
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Hi Paula,

Bummer problem, what’s the grate support look like? Where is it supposed to be installed?
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2020, 10:30 PM   #3
Paula Bradley

Drain parts

It’s the long metal fitting that holds the grate up. Fits into the channel body in photo.
Attached Images

Unread 02-25-2020, 07:28 AM   #4
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Paula, Thanks for the graphic. Very helpful

So is the tile interfering with the sides of the grate support and you just need to cut back the tile along the sides and end?

Or

Is the tile set too low relative to the top of the grate assembly?
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #5
speed51133

looks like the tile is just too far over onto the metal lip that the grate rests on.

I would use a hand held tile cutter and use a straight edge and set it to the depth of the tile (actually a BIT less, you can break the tile once cut. you don't want to kit waterproofing). Check out the saw below. Harbor freight also sells one for 35 bucks. You could just free hand it with a grinder and tile cutting wheel, but you'd risk damaging waterproofing and the flange.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-4...860W/203164110
Unread 02-25-2020, 04:52 PM   #6
Paula Bradley

Good advice

Thanks speed5133 and PC 7060!
Since it’s an adjustable height grate, I got lucky on the height. Will have to cut out about 1/4 inch of tile all around edge of opening though.
Yes, I’m going to be VERY careful not to go too deep with the cutting blade. I have a hand held circular saw that takes the blade in this photo. Says will cut tile and stone. Then I’ll thinset the support in place according to instructions.
Thanks again....
Attached Images

Unread 02-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #7
D & D Reno

I’ve used that exact blade on tile before to see if it worked with a Versacut. It does. If possible, have someone with a spray bottle keep it wet while you cut. It worked better for me that way than dry.
Unread 02-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #8
Paula Bradley

Tile cutting blade

Thanks Antonio! I will keep the blade wet.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase